Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Nov 22, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #10,696 of 12,201
Wrong thread, removed.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2021 at 10:38 PM Post #10,697 of 12,201
Have the rogue rh-5 hybrid and the burson ha-160 class A solid state headphone amps. I do like the bursons class A amp a lot. Frankly I was surprised at how well it signatures with the Morpheus. I had not expected it to sound more appealing than the more expensive Rogue but it just does. I attribute it to the class A operation of the Burson. The Rogue is class AB operation. Have to see when the OG has enough warm up time on it. IT is I think 5 days since I plugged it in. I still think it need more from what I have read. I am really enjoying the Morpheus now that is sufficiently warmed up. It is I think 13 days since I plugged it in.
Solid state amp: ecp DSHA-3F (solid-state parafeed design) . Tubes: Eddie Current Aficionado (SET design). 3F is as close to a tube amp as any solid-state amp I've used, mids have that tube-like richness and layering. But still they are a better match to Morpheus than to Y OG. It flips with EC Af.

Nov 28, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #10,698 of 12,201
Yes. OG Y more incisive, forward for energetic music with percussion, electric instruments, reeds; Morpheus more romantic, especially with strings or piano. I tend to use Y with a tube amp, Morpheus with a solid-state one.
Well it is going to be day 10 of the yaggy og break in process. I am not even going to attempt to listen to it until it is powered up for three weeks. I am curious . I saw a posting of some cds that someone had listened to on the Morpheus and I had happened to have 2 of the soundtracks that were suggested or posted for the listening session. I played the movie soundtrack to Patriot Games yesterday . Wow it sounds just absolutely astounding on the Sonnett Morpheus. Jaw dropping sound quality. If you do not have it I suggest you pick the cd up you will definitely not be disappointed . The music is pretty decent too.

Nov 28, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #10,699 of 12,201
Well it is going to be day 10 of the yaggy og break in process. I am not even going to attempt to listen to it until it is powered up for three weeks. I am curious . I saw a posting of some cds that someone had listened to on the Morpheus and I had happened to have 2 of the soundtracks that were suggested or posted for the listening session. I played the movie soundtrack to Patriot Games yesterday . Wow it sounds just absolutely astounding on the Sonnett Morpheus. Jaw dropping sound quality. If you do not have it I suggest you pick the cd up you will definitely not be disappointed . The music is pretty decent too.
10 days is plenty to start listening. The reason this "burn in legend" exists for the Yggy is because it sounds like crap within the first day after sitting in the cold compartment of a delivery truck... Excited new Yggy owners would throw it into their system and would be immediately disappointed. Same with people who would turn it off each night instead of leaving it on.

But after a week, it's going to be thermally stable and won't change all that much after the 10-day point -- tho your brain will probably burn in over the next couple weeks too as it's a unique sounding DAC :)

Nov 28, 2021 at 8:51 PM Post #10,700 of 12,201
Bro, you can call it whatever you like but just want to point out it's the Yggy and not Yaggy LOL, but then again perhaps you named your Yggy as "Yaggy" so if that's the case just ignore me :joy::laughing:

Nov 28, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #10,701 of 12,201
We are ignoring you.

Nov 29, 2021 at 8:07 PM Post #10,702 of 12,201
10 days is plenty to start listening. The reason this "burn in legend" exists for the Yggy is because it sounds like crap within the first day after sitting in the cold compartment of a delivery truck... Excited new Yggy owners would throw it into their system and would be immediately disappointed. Same with people who would turn it off each night instead of leaving it on.

But after a week, it's going to be thermally stable and won't change all that much after the 10-day point -- tho your brain will probably burn in over the next couple weeks too as it's a unique sounding DAC :)
I have the bifrost 2 so from what I have read it has a similar signature but a lot better and more resolute. I use to have a Theta Pro Basic III way back. So I have some idea of what to expect. The old Thetas were way better sounding than the earlier chip dacs of yore in fact they destroyed them for sound quality . I had my Theta basic III for a long time.

Nov 30, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #10,703 of 12,201
I have the bifrost 2 so from what I have read it has a similar signature but a lot better and more resolute. I use to have a Theta Pro Basic III way back. So I have some idea of what to expect. The old Thetas were way better sounding than the earlier chip dacs of yore in fact they destroyed them for sound quality . I had my Theta basic III for a long time.
@GoldenOne (pretty sure this is the correct user lol) just did an investigation on this topic when measuring the OG.

GoldenSound URL here

It seems most of the changes occur within the first day or so (unsurprisingly since the "thermal mass" of the internals isn't anything crazy). Essentially, you're in the clear to begin listening to your Yaggy, @buson160man. :)

Dec 1, 2021 at 6:33 AM Post #10,705 of 12,201
My yaggy sounded like hot garbage for 3 days and then it turned in to a Yggy and I found audio heaven
I thought I'd made a big mistake when I bought my Yggy because for the first few days it sounded uncannily like my Bifrost 4490. I did A/B switching in real-time and could not reliably tell them apart! After around 7-10 days the differences started to emerge and by 2-3 weeks the Yggy had pulled comfortably ahead of the Bifrost and I breathed a huge sigh of relief...

@GoldenOne (pretty sure this is the correct user lol) just did an investigation on this topic when measuring the OG.

GoldenSound URL here

It seems most of the changes occur within the first day or so (unsurprisingly since the "thermal mass" of the internals isn't anything crazy). Essentially, you're in the clear to begin listening to your Yaggy, @buson160man. :)
AIUI the GoldenSound report is testing the warm-up time of a used unit rather than the burn-in time of a brand new unit. I found the latter much more of an issue than the former with my YggyOG. I've read that the units are burned-in for a brief period at the Schiitr before they are shipped out to customers but my Yggy didn't hit it's stride until I'd had it powered up for 2-3 weeks, until that point it sounded like a decent but unspectacular D/S DAC. Once fully burned in I can't say I notice much if any difference in the sound quality whether I leave it powered on 24/7 or switch it off at night, but I leave it on anyway as it passifies my OCD!

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2021 at 9:46 PM Post #10,709 of 12,201
i see... thanks. the only amps i own at the moment are the jot 2, lp, valhalla 2 and an incoming wa 3 . would those be okay with it
Yup!

Yggy could be the last DAC purchase for many systems. Benefit of front loading your system with a better component is that:

a) you'll be getting the most out of your downstream components

b) it can remain a constant as you upgrade amps/speakers/headphones

Dec 6, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #10,710 of 12,201
i see... thanks. the only amps i own at the moment are the jot 2, lp, valhalla 2 and an incoming wa 3 . would those be okay with it
I used it with both of does amps and they sounded great, my main amp now is the a gsx mini but I still use it with the valhalla sometimes and it sounds great. I've auditioned and owned over 20 dacs including more expensive ones like a holo spring 3, denafrips venus and benchmark dac 3 and the one I decided to keep is the Yggy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back