Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Dec 11, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #10,727 of 12,283
And SR states it can take 2-300 hrs of break in.
I only have ≈ 20 hrs thus far so it's hard to tell where I'll wind up when they are at their peak.

JJ
Wouldn't suck if your preference (where you thought they sounded the best) was with them burned in to say the 125 hour mark and they got "worse" to your ears after that? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Dec 11, 2021 at 6:39 PM Post #10,728 of 12,283
I have been tracking these kinds of changes as modifications are made over many years and that better/worse/better… pattern does happen.
But in my experience it does settle down once the entire circuit settles back in.

In some cases it took many hundreds of hrs of continual playback, meaning I never turned the system off and played music 24/7 for several months until the SQ stabilized, all the while listening during my waking hrs.

I have noticed this pattern of better/worse/better… with a variety of variations from very slight changes to the SQ getting horrid, only to return to glorious.

IOW been there done that, lived to tell about it, AND have the T-shirt, coffee mug, bumper sticker and key fob.
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

JJ :ksc75smile:

Dec 12, 2021 at 4:51 AM Post #10,729 of 12,283
Well after 23+ days of being powered up I finally hooked up the OG into my main rig. Before I can make any kind of judgement I have to pass some signal through the dac for awhile to flesh the dac in . I have to say that my Sonnett Morpheus is a stellar dac. It is just so musical sounding you forget you are listening to digital recordings . So the actual process of breaking in the OG has started.

Dec 12, 2021 at 7:40 PM Post #10,730 of 12,283
Well after 23+ days of being powered up I finally hooked up the OG into my main rig. Before I can make any kind of judgement I have to pass some signal through the dac for awhile to flesh the dac in . I have to say that my Sonnett Morpheus is a stellar dac. It is just so musical sounding you forget you are listening to digital recordings . So the actual process of breaking in the OG has started.
Did you buy the Yggy to replace the Morpheus? Any impressions of the Yggy compared to the Morpheus? TIA!

Dec 12, 2021 at 8:10 PM Post #10,731 of 12,283
Did you buy the Yggy to replace the Morpheus? Any impressions of the Yggy compared to the Morpheus? TIA!
Initially not I had intended to keep both originally. But I have to say that after listening to the Yggy settling in all day. a lot of the advantages that I supposed the morpheus would have over the Yggy have disappeared already. The Yggy is way quieter and has much better low level resolution . I did have it powered up for 23+ days. I do not know how much better it will get at this point. I have only been playing signal through it for the first time today. I am liking what I am hearing already. The Morpheus is no slouch either but I am feeling it is falling behind already. I had thoughts of upgrading the Morpheus to the soon to be shipped Pasithea dac from Sonnett Digital . But I am liking the Yggy so much already I may pass on that move altogether. I will keep the Morpheus though It is a beautiful sounding dac .

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2021 at 8:25 PM Post #10,732 of 12,283
Initially not I had intended to keep both originally. But I have to say that after listening to the Yggy settling in all day. a lot of the advantages that I supposed the morpheus would have over the Yggy have disappeared already. The Yggy is way quieter and has much better low level resolution . I did have it powered up for 23+ days. I do not know how much better it will get at this point. I have only been playing signal through it for the first time today. I am liking what I am hearing already. The Morpheus is no slouch either but I am feeling it is falling behind already. I had thoughts of upgrading the Morpheus to the soon to be shipped Pasithea dac from Sonnett Digital . But I am liking the Yggy so much already I may pass on that move altogether. I will keep the Morpheus though It is a beautiful sounding dac .
Oh interesting! I’ve been eyeing the Yggy to try out with all the praise. I also know the Morpheus is a great DAC a lot of people recommend as well. Which version of the Yggy did you get?

Dec 13, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #10,733 of 12,283
Oh interesting! I’ve been eyeing the Yggy to try out with all the praise. I also know the Morpheus is a great DAC a lot of people recommend as well. Which version of the Yggy did you get?
I got the tried and true OG which was the original. I have to tell you and from what others say the yggy takes quite a bit of time to settle in. So the trial offer is only two weeks. I can not say how much it changed in the two week period. After reading about the long settling in period I just decided to plug it in and leave it powered up for three weeks. I landed up trying it after having it powered for 23+ days. I have not been disappointed in what I am hearing to say the least after only one day of actual use. I hope it gets even better with more actual use.

Dec 15, 2021 at 12:28 AM Post #10,735 of 12,283
Well I have been actually playing music thru my new Og for three days on and off. And I have to say the OG is a real keeper. I have to add my aok to the thousands of praises that have been before me in honor of the Yggy. It is the best dac I have ever owned and I have owned a few over the years. By a huge margin. it is the first dac that actually emulates live music. Every cd I play that is worth its weight in sound quality has a presence that suggests the real thing . There is weight and awesome dynamics given that they are on the recording. Voice reproduction is just so palpable I can almost see the performers face. There is a definite sense of individual performers performing. There is a sense of space and depth and three dimensionality . There is an immense sense of power and weight to the sound as well. There is a good reproduction of the dynamic gradations as well. The dac does just about everything at a very high level of performance . Og is the real thing.

Dec 15, 2021 at 12:29 AM Post #10,736 of 12,283
Well I have been actually playing music thru my new Og for three days on and off. And I have to say the OG is a real keeper. I have to add my aok to the thousands of praises that have been before me in honor of the Yggy. It is the best dac I have ever owned and I have owned a few over the years. By a huge margin. it is the first dac that actually emulates live music. Every cd I play that is worth its weight in sound quality has a presence that suggests the real thing . There is weight and awesome dynamics given that they are on the recording. Voice reproduction is just so palpable I can almost see the performers face. There is a definite sense of individual performers performing. There is a sense of space and depth and three dimensionality . There is an immense sense of power and weight to the sound as well. There is a good reproduction of the dynamic gradations as well. The dac does just about everything at a very high level of performance . Og is the real thing.
What's your downstream system, if you don't mind me asking?

Dec 15, 2021 at 12:50 AM Post #10,737 of 12,283
I use a yamaha cd 2200 as a transport and I am playing it into a burson HA- 160 headphone amp(hifi tuning supreme fuse in it) and through my akg 712 headphones with a moon audio silver dragon headphone cable with the furutech carbon fiber 1/4 inch headdphone plug . I have kubala sonna emotion power cables on the transport and the burson ha-160 . On the Yggy I am using a Harmonic Technology AC-11 power cord. I have everything plugged into my ps audio power strip conditioner fed by a Harmonic Technology AC- 10 power cable. I use a kimber cable illuminatti digital cable and a silnote audio interconnect . So I am tweeked out pretty well.

Dec 15, 2021 at 12:52 AM Post #10,738 of 12,283
Very cool :) Yeah, the OG is very dynamic and has a lot of energy. It's always interesting to see whether some folks prefer it with tubes vs solid, and warm vs bright transducers.

Dec 15, 2021 at 3:59 AM Post #10,739 of 12,283
In my opion, using a Jggy Dac with tubes reveals even more of its SQ finesse.
My Purp-Amp a custom HP amp, while using the original Jggy Dac as the source, yields sublime results.

Just say'n.

JJ

Dec 15, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #10,740 of 12,283
In my opion, using a Jggy Dac with tubes reveals even more of its SQ finesse.
My Purp-Amp a custom HP amp, while using the original Jggy Dac as the source, yields sublime results.

Just say'n.

JJ
It pairs extremely well with the burson HA-160. The bursons class A operation helps. I have a rogue rh-5 headphone amp as well. But I find the burson more appealing in my set up. I believe it is due to the class A operation on the burson . The rogue has classs ab operation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back