Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Dec 24, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #10,756 of 12,283
Well the yggy is still improving at this point. But I have to really actually play it for a week or two before I can really get a good idea of its sound.
Let me get this straight. You powered your yggy for 20 plus days without feeding it a signal and now that your finally listening to it (feeding it a signal) you noticing the break in?
You should have just saved your self the 20 plus days of power up as it clearly did nothing..

I listened to mine from the very first day.. within a few hours its sound changed and then the next few days call it a week max of 24/7 use it settled in the last bit with each passing day.
And no it doesn't take a week to recover from a power down.. 2-3 hours its back to normal.
I've had this thing for a few years now and did the A2 board upgrade.

Dec 24, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #10,757 of 12,283
Let me get this straight. You powered your yggy for 20 plus days without feeding it a signal and now that your finally listening to it (feeding it a signal) you noticing the break in?
You should have just saved your self the 20 plus days of power up as it clearly did nothing..

I listened to mine from the very first day.. within a few hours its sound changed and then the next few days call it a week max of 24/7 use it settled in the last bit with each passing day.
And no it doesn't take a week to recover from a power down.. 2-3 hours its back to normal.
That’s how these companies get people to use up their return window. I found mine to be at it’s peak performance after 24hr due to regular mechanical break in.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #10,758 of 12,283

I've always wondered if there's a "burn-in" difference between:
- playing X hours leaving it on with no signal
- playing X hours with signal

I guess now I know. :)

Dec 24, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #10,759 of 12,283
I've always assumed break-in meant actually playing it rather than powered on time.

Dec 24, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #10,760 of 12,283
There is "warm-up" - i.e. just powered on and it gets to equilibrium temperature.
Then there is "burn-in" - i.e. playing a signal (music preferably) through the circuit and the circuit settles-in.
There may be slight warm up of the circuit needed after the signal starts, also (but minimal compared to initial warm-up).

Warm up is needed every time you turn it on from cold start
Burn-in is only for when it is new or when you update certain components in the circuit.

Not playing a signal will do little to nothing toward burn-in of the sound chain.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #10,761 of 12,283
I've always wondered if there's a "burn-in" difference between:
- playing X hours leaving it on with no signal
- playing X hours with signal

I guess now I know. :)
I had read the absolute sound review of it and the reviewer had listened to it in his set initially and then after a week.He was not happy with it so he just left it powered up for the balance of thirty days and it had transformed into the great sounding dac he then reviewed.

Dec 24, 2021 at 8:04 PM Post #10,762 of 12,283
Been breaking in the dac with signal for a week now .But today I heard a big change in the sound. The sound is more spacious and relaxed and sounds less digital. The low level detail is also more resolving as well.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2021 at 11:30 PM Post #10,763 of 12,283

I do find it interesting the variations in 'recovery time' after a power down and the reported amount of time during the initial burn in process to achieve 'stability'.
For myself in my system I find it takes ≈ 24hrs before the SQ reaches the same state of SQ I am used to, and others have reported the same.
And not that its sounds bad after thermal equilibrium has been reached (3-4hrs±), but the subtle nuances and intonations, soundstage, harmonic richness, and low level signals seem like they still need a bit more time.

And now we definitely know that a 'music' signal should be played right from the start vs just power that puppy up, in order to achieve said SQ 'stability' and 'maturity'.
Which suggests it’s the analog circuitry as well as the output from the dac chips that need something to 'chew upon' in order to settle it.

I also wonder how quickly the clock re-stabilizes after a power down (as in Jitter), as was measured by atomic bob as shown in these measurements.
This is a 'new' Jggy with very few hrs. but had reached thermal stability.
https://www.superbestaudiofriends.o...s/20150430-yggdrasil-inferred-jitter-png.712/

And this is the same Jggy after ≈ 400hrs of continuous operation.
https://www.superbestaudiofriends.o...s/20150517-yggdrasil-inferred-jitter-png.723/

Just a few more head scratchers for sure…

JJ

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2021 at 11:43 PM Post #10,764 of 12,283
I've been burning in my Yggdrasil since 2017. :relaxed:

It's the one item that has withstood the winds of change. I've not thought of changing dac since getting Yggdrasil new back then. Worth every since penny for the last 5 years. How quickly times flies. It has not had a single problem in all that time and it's on 24/7 for the last 5 years. :rolling_eyes: Well maybe I did move it between home and work location a few times.

IMG_3135.jpg

Dec 25, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #10,765 of 12,283
When I bought my Yggy it came with a Gen 3 Usb board. I found the AES/EBU input far superior to that of the usb. In fact I resisted the GEN 5 upgrade only to have a private conversation with another member who did also confirm that AES/EBU was still superior to the Gen 5 upgrade. Gave my self a pat on the back for that one.. LOL
I've moved up the ladder a bit when it comes to Transports. My Lumin U1 mini with an upgraded LPS pushed out my Pi2AES as a superior transport. I know Lumin spent considerable effort in making their USB output top notch. Still doesn't hold a candle to the yggy's AES vs usb (gen 3).

What's general consensus regarding Unison?

Is it actually clearer and better or more of just a flavor in sound change when compared to the AES/EBU input?

Dec 25, 2021 at 8:44 PM Post #10,766 of 12,283
When I bought my Yggy it came with a Gen 3 Usb board. I found the AES/EBU input far superior to that of the usb. In fact I resisted the GEN 5 upgrade only to have a private conversation with another member who did also confirm that AES/EBU was still superior to the Gen 5 upgrade. Gave my self a pat on the back for that one.. LOL
I've moved up the ladder a bit when it comes to Transports. My Lumin U1 mini with an upgraded LPS pushed out my Pi2AES as a superior transport. I know Lumin spent considerable effort in making their USB output top notch. Still doesn't hold a candle to the yggy's AES vs usb (gen 3).

What's general consensus regarding Unison?

Is it actually clearer and better or more of just a flavor in sound change when compared to the AES/EBU input?
I do enjoy the unison USB on my Yggy LIM. HOwever, I also have the yggy fed via AES by a Hermes DDC and the ddc w/ aes is wayyyyy more cleaner and grander sounding than the USB. The aes sounds more refined in every frequency. I know the hermes ddc helps a lot but the usb just cant keep up. But the unison usb is lightyears better than standard usb implementation in other dacs.

Dec 25, 2021 at 9:11 PM Post #10,767 of 12,283
I do enjoy the unison USB on my Yggy LIM. HOwever, I also have the yggy fed via AES by a Hermes DDC and the ddc w/ aes is wayyyyy more cleaner and grander sounding than the USB. The aes sounds more refined in every frequency. I know the hermes ddc helps a lot but the usb just cant keep up. But the unison usb is lightyears better than standard usb implementation in other dacs.

Which input to the Hermes are you using, and what is the signal source?

Dec 25, 2021 at 9:13 PM Post #10,768 of 12,283
signal source is my gaming pc. PC to hermes ddc via audioquest carbon usb. Hermes ddc to I2s to my Pontus 2 and Hermes to Yggy via AES are my two setups.

Dec 25, 2021 at 10:36 PM Post #10,769 of 12,283
My new Yggy LIM is waiting for me at the office when I return from the holidays. My proposed source is M1 MacBook Pro to Zen Stream (over Ethernet) to spdif to the Yggy. The usb output on the Zen goes to a Qutest to support higher upsampling. Any concerns with using coax as primary input? If yes, any Ethernet to AES device suggestions which work with Roon?

Dec 26, 2021 at 5:43 AM Post #10,770 of 12,283
As a few posters in this thread have previously noted…

AOIP (Audio Over IP) while it can be a bit more tedious (read a bit fussy and can be expensive) is so far ahead of any other means of getting those digits and bits out of the player and into the dac, that I stopped getting the USB upgrades altogether.

It uses ethernet to exit the computer, and then into a decoder that converts it to AES, then into the Jggy.
It is a commercial low latency means of sending digital bit streams from here to there, and in terms of SQ nothing I have heard beats it.
And to such a degree that I have quit chasing any alternatives.
Although it is definitely NOT plug-n-pray, as it requires setting up a separate dedicated ethernet protocol, meant exclusively for audio bit streams, it isn't rocket science either.

In the computer, AOIP uses a virtual output port so any player that can pick which output port to use, will 'see' the special ethernet protocol and thus it bypasses all other audio ports.

In my Mac Pro I have dedicated one of my 2 built in ethernet ports as the exclusive AOIP feed for my audio stream.

So for those with a technical bent and some computer savy, AOIP is a contendah indeed.

JJ

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back