Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jun 3, 2018 at 10:55 PM Post #8,311 of 12,304
Being kind of impatient, I've just put back my recently upgraded Yggy A2 on my speaker system, just after 48 hours of playing continuously into one my headphone systems. I'm not sorry. I'd say it is still a bit rough in denser passages, but plucked strings, percussion are already the best I've heard from any of the DACs I've owned (Bimby, Yggy A1, Holo Spring KTE 3, Soekris dac1541). Marcus Gilmore's cymbal work is in Vijay Iyer Trio's "Accelerando" is so precise, popping out from space. Background is as black as on the others (which was not the case with the A1). Stereo imaging is better than I remember it. Voices are right here, instruments, well separated.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2018 at 11:22 PM Post #8,312 of 12,304
Being kind of impatient, I've just put back my recently upgraded Yggy A2 on my speaker system, just after 48 hours of playing continuously into one my headphone systems. I'm not sorry. I'd say it is still a bit rough in denser passages, but plucked strings, percussion are already the best I've heard from any of the DACs I've owned (Bimby, Yggy A1, Holo Spring KTE 3, Soekris dac1541). Marcus Gilmore's cymbal work is in Vijay Iyer Trio's "Accelerando" is so precise, popping out from space. Background is as black as on the others (which was not the case with the A1). Stereo imaging is better than I remember it. Voices are right here, instruments, well separated.

I never got to hear the first version as I purchased mine in mid November I believe, but from what I am hearing I'm glad I didn't hear about it sooner, I'm not sure that I would have kept it. Glad you are enjoying the improvements!

Jun 4, 2018 at 12:04 AM Post #8,313 of 12,304
I put my Yggy2 into my HP rig and played music continuously. I checked in each day just to see how it was going. It sounded pretty bad for several days
It makes me wonder if they ever plan on leaving those heat dependant Dac chips, for dicreeet ladder, like on the Holo.

That would eliminate any necessity for warm up...
The Holo and the Sokris prove it can be done cheaply.

Jun 4, 2018 at 12:19 AM Post #8,314 of 12,304
It makes me wonder if they ever plan on leaving those heat dependant Dac chips, for dicreeet ladder, like on the Holo.

Not really. I own the 3 DACs under discussion (Yggy, Holo Spring, Soekris dac1541). None of them sounds its best right after power on if they've been off long enough to cool down. Yggy takes longer to stabilize than the other two, but then it also sounds better to my ears than them when it finally reaches cruising temperature. As for "cheaply," Spring KTE 3 is more expensive than Yggy A2 (by just $100, but still); dac1541 is indeed cheaper, it's a rather nice DAC (especially after the 1.20 firmware), but the other two go further, in their own different ways.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2018 at 12:33 AM Post #8,315 of 12,304

Cheap and precise don't always abide together. Using discrete components to achieve the architecture contained in one of the DACs could easily be the size of a server, 4 big pc cases to decrease warm up isn't a tradeoff everyone would prefer, not to mention the enormous cost of using discrete components!

Jun 4, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #8,316 of 12,304
Cheap and precise don't always abide together. Using discrete components to achieve the architecture contained in one of the DACs could easily be the size of a server, 4 big pc cases to decrease warm up isn't a tradeoff everyone would prefer, not to mention the enormous cost of using discrete components!
That was the old days.

Discreet ladder can supass a chip
(As long as it employ a correction system for the individual resisitors.)

Both DACs, (The Holo and the 1541) prove you can now do discreet ladder cheaply.

They both perform very close to yggy level, without having the advantage of yggy's burrito filter.
(Indeed the main edge yggy has is its filter.)

If Schiit was to progress in future, it would be with a discreet ladder,
because there's no better chip out than what they using already.
The question is it worth it, or feasible.
Probably, if they don't want to be dependant on another company for Dac chips.

Jun 4, 2018 at 1:40 AM Post #8,317 of 12,304
That was the old days.

Both DACs, (The Holo and the 1541) prove you can now do discreet ladder cheaply.

They both perform very close to yggy level, without having the advantage of yggy's burrito filter.

Probably, if they don't want to be dependant on another company for Dac chips.[/QUOT
E]

In the old days there were no ICs. We have a GE monstrosity with discrete components that is enormous, you can't program it, it doesn't actually do much control, etc. It takes up enormous space, a couple of PLC's with a little remote I/O connected to modern drives could run circles around our discrete dinosaur. Precise/accurate compensation for the resistors would require heat, voltage, and current monitoring and control circuits, all in analog according to your desired, and your little filter wouldn't be a little filter. I suspect 4 servers would be about right. Now if you wanted to use integrated circuits in stead of discrete components to deal with your resistors, and filtering, that's a horse of a different color, but you specified discrete... I've worked on old 1980's PLCs that had 4K boards that were about 20 x 20 inches, and they were integrated circuits, just to give you an idea of the scale you would need to go to if all memory, etc. was discrete.

Jun 4, 2018 at 1:47 AM Post #8,318 of 12,304
That was the old days.

Probably, if they don't want to be dependant on another company for Dac chips.

Trust me, you don't know what you are saying. 4K boards used to be 20 x 20 or more inches using INTEGRATED circuits circa 1980's. With discrete components they would have been enormous, a server per DAC was likely a tremendous underestimate. That doesn't begin to address your filter. Then there is the speed issue, spreading everything out, using older slower technology I'm not at all sure it would even be doable.

Jun 4, 2018 at 7:49 AM Post #8,319 of 12,304
I never got to hear the first version as I purchased mine in mid November I believe, but from what I am hearing I'm glad I didn't hear about it sooner, I'm not sure that I would have kept it. Glad you are enjoying the improvements!

I think that most folks have been very happy with V1 and only feel in retrospect that it was (somewhat) limited only after hearing V2.

V1 was great and v2 is REALLY great :)

Jun 4, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #8,320 of 12,304
LouS,

I've owned my Quad 57s for 40 years (yeah, I'm an old audiophile) and I've not been able to find other speakers that please me as much. I've flirted with Apogee Stages, Martin Logan CLS, and Maggies of various sorts, but I stick with my Quads. I'm pretty new to headphones, though, and am still trying to sort out the different listening perspective of phones vs. my Quads. I hang around here because of the interesting comments about sources, not to mention cats and pizza recipes. Maybe this summer, I will get a decent headphone amplifier and get serious about cans. (right now I use the phone amplifier of my Dangerous Source.)

Rich

Jun 4, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #8,321 of 12,304
LouS,

I've owned my Quad 57s for 40 years (yeah, I'm an old audiophile) and I've not been able to find other speakers that please me as much. I've flirted with Apogee Stages, Martin Logan CLS, and Maggies of various sorts, but I stick with my Quads. I'm pretty new to headphones, though, and am still trying to sort out the different listening perspective of phones vs. my Quads. I hang around here because of the interesting comments about sources, not to mention cats and pizza recipes. Maybe this summer, I will get a decent headphone amplifier and get serious about cans. (right now I use the phone amplifier of my Dangerous Source.)

Rich

Hi Rich,

I loved them, but loved volume more, so I ended up trading them in for Acoustat Mdl. 3's. They were never as sweet as the 57's obviously, but all is compromise in audio land. I would love to be wealthy enough to have 2 or even 4 pairs running so I could get more volume out of them, not that I presently have a room that would accommodate that!

I finally decided that I couldn't live with my, by that time, Acoustat 3300's compressing sound as volume increases, and am now using B&W 801 Matrix S2's with Audyn True Copper caps bypassing the factory caps. You lose the interesting and seductive coloration, the alluring B&W sound, but they become tremendously revealing/transparent for cone speakers.

My entire life I have been unable to listen to classical music on my stereo as it just was never right and listening fatigue wouldn't allow it. The Yggdrasil has changed all that, it also allows me to appreciate music played at lower listening levels. I would do love to give 57's another listen on my current system.

As for headphones, I know these likely stuck compared to many, but I have a set of the thirty something year old Koss electrostatic headphones, but I replaced the crap resistors in the power supply with Mills resistors. Anyway, I think volume was a sort of masking for the fact that my system was never accurate enough to listen at lower levels. Enjoy those 57's!

Lou

Jun 4, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #8,322 of 12,304
That was the old days.

6uykef.jpg

Jun 5, 2018 at 1:04 AM Post #8,323 of 12,304
I put my Yggy2 into my HP rig and played music continuously. I checked in each day just to see how it was going. It sounded pretty bad for several days. After a week I felt like I could listen to music. After two weeks I swapped it into my speaker system. It sounds fabulous now. Really a remarkable achievement.

Pretty much the same experience here. The first few days I was seriously considering a downgrade back to Analog 1. It took the Yggy well over 100 hours to settle in and probably another 100 for me to be sure about its improvement and start to appreciate it.

At least I think that's what happened and not just my brain got used to the new sound by the time. Actually, I would be interested in ABX testing a burned in Analog 1, a burned in Analog 2, and an Analog 2 not burned in. Anyone in the LA area planning a listening session like this please don't hesitate to drop me a PM.

Jun 5, 2018 at 1:09 AM Post #8,324 of 12,304
I guess I'm the only one that thinks my A2 sounded amazing right out the box (a noticeable upgrade from Hugo 2).. I've had it running 24/7 for over 2 months now, can't confidently say I hear a difference compared to day 1 but then again I've been too occupied enjoying music so perhaps I haven't been listening critically enough.

Jun 5, 2018 at 6:21 AM Post #8,325 of 12,304
I guess I'm the only one that thinks my A2 sounded amazing right out the box (a noticeable upgrade from Hugo 2).. I've had it running 24/7 for over 2 months now, can't confidently say I hear a difference compared to day 1 but then again I've been too occupied enjoying music so perhaps I haven't been listening critically enough.

No, you're not the only one that thinks the A2 sounds amazing right out the box. It does. Truth is, "break-in" and "warm-up" in the case of this DAC (and virtually all audio related electronics) is largely a myth. If you (or anyone) had the ability to *blind test* an A2 Yggy that was powered on for 300 days straight and compare that to a Yggy that was powered on for 300 seconds I highly doubt you'd reliably know which is which.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back