Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
May 28, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #8,281 of 12,194
The Vahalla 2 is the only real tube amp on your list. The rest of them are hybrids. --tube preamp and solid-state amp. Bit of tube sound and plenty of power. The Valhalla is supposed to be real nice with Senn HD 600, 650 & 660. Me, I am waiting on my DNA Stratus to be built.
I use a Mjolnir 2 and could not be happier.
Thanks.

Mike

May 30, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #8,283 of 12,194
That certainly sounds encouraging however given that it is a marketing announcement you need to take it with a grain of salt. I love the products that Schiit sells. I have two Yggys. a Jot, and a Mimby but one cannot simply just accept their marketing material automatically. If you read back through this long thread the reviews are very positive but not unanimous.

In my headphone system I found my Mutec 3+ USB using AES out to still sound better than the new Gen5 board. I will say however that it was close and that the GEN5 board is certainly better than the previous version.

YMMV :)

I was wondering how you decided on Mutec 3+ USB for your Yggy over other similar units. I recently purchased the Singxer SU-1 and became a believer myself. It is noticeably better than the Gen5 USB input. Hopefully there is more to the Mutec considering the price difference to the Singxer. Do you by any chance have experience with any others like the Singxer?

Last edited:
May 30, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #8,284 of 12,194
Not sure if this is the correct place to ask this, but I was looking for a tube headphone amp recommendation.
To fully appreciate what tubes have to offer you need a real tube amp,
Not a hybrid.

May 30, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #8,285 of 12,194
snip
In my headphone system I found my Mutec 3+ USB using AES out to still sound better than the new Gen5 board. I will say however that it was close and that the GEN5 board is certainly better than the previous version.

YMMV :)
I'll have to run the output of the Eitr into my Mutec chain to see how that compares to using just the Eitr, and to a straight USB shot into the Gen-5 card, and to my full AOIP stack.
And I think the order of preference will be much like I'd suspect it to be.
But then sometimes the unexpected will surprise me.

But all of this will have to wait for other experiments already in the cue.

JJ

May 30, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #8,286 of 12,194
I was wondering how you decided on Mutec 3+ USB for your Yggy over other similar units. I recently purchased the Singxer SU-1 and became a believer myself. It is noticeably better than the Gen5 USB input. Hopefully there is more to the Mutec considering the price difference to the Singxer. Do you by any chance have experience with any others like the Singxer?

Easy question. I started following the audio over IP thread started by RB2013. He did epic work first testing various USB chains and then moved on to Rednet/AOIP. He created a rating system and ranked a lot a different combinations. I chose the Mutec from his list and from posts over on The Computer Audiophile.

Since I had already gone down the USB rabbit hole and had a Mutec 3+ USB I then added a Rednet D16 and have never looked back. Most of my effort these days goes into my speaker system where my front end chain is Win2012 server with Dante Virtual Soundcard > Rednet D16 > Mutec 3+ USB as reclocker > Yggy. I use a Mutec REF10 as master clock to the M3USB and take wordclock out of the M3USB back to the external wordclock input of the D16.

I have not tried any other USB to AES converters...

May 31, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #8,287 of 12,194
Easy question. I started following the audio over IP thread started by RB2013. He did epic work first testing various USB chains and then moved on to Rednet/AOIP. He created a rating system and ranked a lot a different combinations. I chose the Mutec from his list and from posts over on The Computer Audiophile.

Since I had already gone down the USB rabbit hole and had a Mutec 3+ USB I then added a Rednet D16 and have never looked back. Most of my effort these days goes into my speaker system where my front end chain is Win2012 server with Dante Virtual Soundcard > Rednet D16 > Mutec 3+ USB as reclocker > Yggy. I use a Mutec REF10 as master clock to the M3USB and take wordclock out of the M3USB back to the external wordclock input of the D16.

I have not tried any other USB to AES converters...

Thank you sir, for sharing your experience. It is exactly what I need.

Jun 1, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #8,288 of 12,194
We're currently experiencing our first thunderstorm of the season. To be fair it's not a regular feature of the Scottish climate, but I've taken the precaution of unplugging all of my hifi gear just in case, as 13 years ago our house got hit and several items were taken out, including a CRT TV, DVD and VHS player (ah, remember those days??!!). It's only scheduled to last a couple of hours but more storms are forecast tomorrow afternoon, so I'm playing safe and will leave everything off until Sunday or Monday. How long should I expect Yggy2 will take to reach peak performance again? I'm assuming it isn't going to be the 3 weeks it took from brand new, is it? Will a few days do the trick?

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #8,289 of 12,194
We're currently experiencing our first thunderstorm of the season. To be fair it's not a regular feature of the Scottish climate, but I've taken the precaution of unplugging all of my hifi gear just in case, as 13 years ago our house got hit and several items were taken out, including a CRT TV, DVD and VHS player (ah, remember those days??!!). It's only scheduled to last a couple of hours but more storms are forecast tomorrow afternoon, so I'm playing safe and will leave everything off until Sunday or Monday. How long should I expect Yggy2 will take to reach peak performance again? I'm assuming it isn't going to be the 3 weeks it took from brand new, is it? Will a few days do the trick?

I'm not sure, as mine is always on, but I believe that the consensus is 24 hours.

Jun 1, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #8,292 of 12,194
Thank you for that input.

Thank you.
I wonder why optical input to Yggy2 from ak380 sounds much better and less sibilant than usb input from my pc... playing same flac files.
I think experimenting with the aes input is going to be my next project. Thanks again.

It's powered by a battery and made to play better than a computer or smartphone.
I heard the ak240 or whatever that popular model was and kept switching between it and my iphone feeding a hugo.

Jun 1, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #8,293 of 12,194

Good idea to unplug audio gear when/if a lighting strike is likely. I have mine on a surge protector as well as power conditioning. IMO, it will only be a matter or minutes to reach peak performance after unplugging and then powering back. Of course, YMMV and this assumes nothing else (besides loss of power) detrimental happens to the Yggy while it is idle. Note that while I indicate - again IMO - the Yggy comes to full performance in a very short time, reaching full temperature can take 90 minutes.

Jun 1, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #8,294 of 12,194
Wow! Lived 5 years in Edinburgh and spent some time in the Highlands and Islands, can't remember a single thunderstorm, Rain, wind, snow, sure. But that was back in 77-82... Where I live now, Northern California, thunderstorms are still pretty rare, so I just trust my power conditioner.

Jun 1, 2018 at 10:37 PM Post #8,295 of 12,194
Just got my Yggy with the A2 upgrade back from Schiit. I've had another fairly nice DAC sitting in (Soekris dac1541), so I don't need to listen to the A2 right away. I can just leave it powered up, which is how it is now, or I can grab a spare S/PDIF source and a spare headamp and push music through it constantly. My science/engineering brain is telling me that just leaving it powered up is enough for whatever thermal stabilization is needed to make it reach peak performance, but audiophool (being one of them :wink:) lore suggests I should "make" the Yggy "believe" it is doing real D2A "work." Inquiring minds and all that... Update: just had a quick listen to the first two tracks of Vijay Iyer's Accelerando with a good source and a good headamp, no doubt that the first few hours of power up are rough in their rendering of the Iyer's piano. OTOH, Gilmore's cymbals are so crisp they feel right here! Patience...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back