Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jun 2, 2018 at 3:07 AM Post #8,296 of 12,195
Nice to hear A2 improv. Not trying to divert attentions but i wanted to check if anyone has compared the BNC and AES input and found BNC at par or above AES?
I recently bought a Chord Signature (supposedly high end) digital COAX to BNC cable. Hooked my Oppo to my Yggy BNC via this cable and found the sound lush esp on top end. Did a lot of tests and got my young daughter to independently assess the 2 inputs.
Both AES (via Lynx card from Sonore server) and BNC (from Oppo) were so close. AES won on some songs (esp for low end) but BNC won overall esp for subtly crisper top end.

Jun 2, 2018 at 5:41 AM Post #8,297 of 12,195
I'm not sure, as mine is always on, but I believe that the consensus is 24 hours.

3-4 days in my experience.

Good idea to unplug audio gear when/if a lighting strike is likely. I have mine on a surge protector as well as power conditioning. IMO, it will only be a matter or minutes to reach peak performance after unplugging and then powering back. Of course, YMMV and this assumes nothing else (besides loss of power) detrimental happens to the Yggy while it is idle. Note that while I indicate - again IMO - the Yggy comes to full performance in a very short time, reaching full temperature can take 90 minutes.

OK so probably somewhere between a few minutes and a few days!.... I can cope with that. :)

Jun 2, 2018 at 5:44 AM Post #8,298 of 12,195
Wow! Lived 5 years in Edinburgh and spent some time in the Highlands and Islands, can't remember a single thunderstorm, Rain, wind, snow, sure. But that was back in 77-82... Where I live now, Northern California, thunderstorms are still pretty rare, so I just trust my power conditioner.
That's climate change for ya! Whenever we get a nice spell of warm weather now (which ISN'T often), it is invariably brought to a close by a day of thunderstorms.

Jun 2, 2018 at 6:17 AM Post #8,299 of 12,195
OK so probably somewhere between a few minutes and a few days!.... I can cope with that. :)

I was trying to be diplomatic, a rarity for me, but the length of time necessary likely depends upon several factors, most importantly the neutrality of your associated gear very likely has a big impact. If your gear is more, shall we say, opaque, it likely means less warm up time is necessary. If Julian Hearsh liked your gear, no warm up is necessary! :)

Jun 2, 2018 at 6:37 AM Post #8,300 of 12,195
I was trying to be diplomatic, a rarity for me, but the length of time necessary likely depends upon several factors, most importantly the neutrality of your associated gear very likely has a big impact. If your gear is more, shall we say, opaque, it likely means less warm up time is necessary. If Julian Hearsh liked your gear, no warm up is necessary! :)
The consensus on forums is that there's no consensus..... T'was ever thus! :beerchug:

Jun 2, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #8,301 of 12,195
Earnmyturns,

Did you yield to your "audiophool" side or follow your science/engineering instincts? My upgraded Yggy arrives this Wednesday and I'm considering what to do. Right now, I'm inclined to just insert my Yggy into my active listening system and let 'er rip. That way, I can assess the changes as Yggy settles in.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #8,303 of 12,195
Hang in there. I was feeling the same as you. I ordered 2 weeks before you and I got the email to send my Yggy back on May 8th. I sent it back 2 day air that day and they acknowledged they had it on May 11th. I had it set up for next air for the return. They were done on the 29th and I have had it powered up since Wednesday (30th). It is worth the wait. No details for now as I want it to burn in more, except I cannot discern a difference between AES (thru Eitr), which I used previously and USB.

Jun 2, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #8,304 of 12,195
Earnmyturns,

Did you yield to your "audiophool" side or follow your science/engineering instincts? My upgraded Yggy arrives this Wednesday and I'm considering what to do. Right now, I'm inclined to just insert my Yggy into my active listening system and let 'er rip. That way, I can assess the changes as Yggy settles in.
Once audiophool, always one :wink: Since I had all the relevant spare gear around, I've it playing through my music library into a muted headamp. From time to time I take a listen to whatever is playing. It's shaping up really nicely :)

Jun 2, 2018 at 11:02 PM Post #8,305 of 12,195
Nice to hear A2 improv. Not trying to divert attentions but i wanted to check if anyone has compared the BNC and AES input and found BNC at par or above AES?
I recently bought a Chord Signature (supposedly high end) digital COAX to BNC cable. Hooked my Oppo to my Yggy BNC via this cable and found the sound lush esp on top end. Did a lot of tests and got my young daughter to independently assess the 2 inputs.
Both AES (via Lynx card from Sonore server) and BNC (from Oppo) were so close. AES won on some songs (esp for low end) but BNC won overall esp for subtly crisper top end.

I have been using AES from an M2Tech HiFace Evo, and after reading your post, decided to try the BNC input. You are spot on with your observation about the highs. I'm liking the BNC a bit better than the AES
because of that. Of course, that's today. Tomorrow ....... ? :thinking:

Jun 2, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #8,306 of 12,195
I have been using AES from an M2Tech HiFace Evo, and after reading your post, decided to try the BNC input. You are spot on with your observation about the highs. I'm liking the BNC a bit better than the AES
because of that. Of course, that's today. Tomorrow ....... ? :thinking:
Pi 2 Designs 502DAC>BNC>Yggy A2>Neurochrome HP-1>Æon Flow Closed. A2 has been on for 27 hours. Very black background, great detail and excellent transients on jazz drums and plucked strings. Piano, reeds, and voices coming together. At this point, A2 is already sounding very good, but I'll hold back temptation and let it burn-in another day at least...

Jun 2, 2018 at 11:23 PM Post #8,307 of 12,195
Earnmyturns,

I put my Yggy2 into my HP rig and played music continuously. I checked in each day just to see how it was going. It sounded pretty bad for several days. After a week I felt like I could listen to music. After two weeks I swapped it into my speaker system. It sounds fabulous now. Really a remarkable achievement.

Jun 2, 2018 at 11:54 PM Post #8,308 of 12,195
I have an Allo Digione feeding BNC and Emotiva ERC3 feeding AES on my A2. My ears can't register any discernable difference.

Jun 3, 2018 at 2:04 AM Post #8,309 of 12,195
I put my Yggy2 into my HP rig and played music continuously. I checked in each day just to see how it was going. It sounded pretty bad for several days. After a week I felt like I could listen to music.
Hum... Just came back from a live jazz/flamenco show led by pianist Chano Rodriguéz, when I got home I took a listen to the burning-in Yggy in the HP setup listed above. A track from pianist Aruán Ortiz's "Hidden Voices" trio album was playing. Convincing instrument tonality relative to what I had just heard live, good separation. Maybe slightly subdued cymbals, but that could be the recording. For whatever reason, I'm finding the Yggy A2 is getting up to speed much faster than the A1 did. I suspect that different A2s take different trajectories through burn-in space, which is not surprising given that individual components have tolerances and drift differently.

Jun 3, 2018 at 2:40 AM Post #8,310 of 12,195
Earnmyturns,

Quad 57's, my first, and in some ways perhaps one of the best speakers I ever owned, nice. Yeah, it's going to be different for everyone. Some want to try to get a better idea of the differences, and I suppose that early listening could/would obscure those differences somewhat. Others just want to find out how it sounds, and how it changes as it matures. When I first got my Yggdrasil I was pretty impressed as compared to the junk I had been using, but then it seemed to go through growing pains, so after a few days I decided to let it cook until nearly the end of the return period, which I think ought to be extended a week on the Yggdrasil due to it's temperament. Everyone is going to personalize their methodology and that is as it should be! Enjoy!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back