Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jul 4, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #5,326 of 12,400
+350 pages is a struggle to deal with, hence a favor to ask good souls here. Can someone please describe Yggy's sound signature in several words? To which DAC it's quite close?
What would be an ideal DAC? One without a sound signature. The Yggdrasil is pretty close. It is detailed and in terms of frequency and timing seems spot on (the very well defined bass is a good indication). Maybe you could ask Torq and take a look at his thread where he makes a comparison with several DACs using the Yggdrasil as benchmark.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #5,327 of 12,400
Prior to the Yggy, if you wanted a DAC that sounded more "natural-sounding" you had to buy either a vintage R2R DAC or one of the last modern equivalents. They tended to be tuned to be warm-sounding and lacked the more "precise" sound (sometimes called a "HiFi" sound) of modern high-res DACs. People who found modern DACs too fatiguing were told to play DSD, which sounds unnatural to me out of some DACs, albeit in a different way. The Yggy seems to manage to both have the resolution of a modern high-end DAC, but without the unnatural "HiFi" sound, and naturalness without the mushy old R2R sound. In other words, it has all the things a person would look for in an excellent DAC, naturally, without trying to get them through compromises in the design.

Jul 4, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #5,328 of 12,400
All these discussions about USB and AES. Can someone clarify, is it USB in general, or just how Microsoft implements it?

In Baldr's thread, he talked about a server using linux via USB with great success.

I am not going to go CD transport. I like the ease of my flac files.

Just trying to find the best route.

Stay with my current windoze machine and install an AES output card, or go linux music server.

Well, it is difficult (at least for me) to relate theories to music. I tried all the connections and finally settled for Dante. It is night and day kind of difference - not in the sense that you hear something on one and not in other but the presentation itself. Any recording you hear to, you feel like sitting in a recording session. I remember I posted somewhere that since the time folks started converting music to digital format, nobody told that retrieval and presentation is tricky.

I would say, try Dante and I guarantee you that you will be scared to go back to anything.

Jul 4, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #5,329 of 12,400
+350 pages is a struggle to deal with, hence a favor to ask good souls here. Can someone please describe Yggy's sound signature in several words? To which DAC it's quite close?
I would say, it does not have a signature and it would let you hear the signature of recording equipment. So, most of Diana Krall's albums would sond same it they were recorded in same studio. Similarly, if you notice most, if not all, recordings of Cassandra Wilson will sound very big, spacious and clear. Melody Gardot's albums will have darkest black background.

Jul 5, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #5,330 of 12,400
Hello audio friends. I just got a Yggdrasil and I understand that it should be on 24/7.
I'm just worried about energy/power oscillations, power surges, thunderstorms... were I live some eletrônico had suffered from this external influence.
Did anybody had problems with surge protectors, power conditioners or UPS - uninterrupted power suply with senoid, and the sound qualities of Yggdrasil?
I really need some senior help in here.
Thanks

Jul 5, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #5,331 of 12,400
Dvdlucena,

I use a older Monster HTPS 7000 that I run most my equipment through, have their smaller cousin HTS 5000 for the balance of my gear. This starts with two dedicated 20 amp circuits without any other connections like appliances to dirty the line. These conditioners will shut down in a line surge/power storm situation to protect my gear. It's not that the Yggy will be damaged by a shut down, its just that the it performs better if left on where the circuits stabilize their operating temps!

I hope this helps with your question above.

Cheers!

Jul 5, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #5,332 of 12,400
Hello audio friends. I just got a Yggdrasil and I understand that it should be on 24/7.
I'm just worried about energy/power oscillations, power surges, thunderstorms... were I live some eletrônico had suffered from this external influence.
Did anybody had problems with surge protectors, power conditioners or UPS - uninterrupted power suply with senoid, and the sound qualities of Yggdrasil?
I really need some senior help in here.
Thanks
I use this, but it hasn't had to do much because our power has been pretty stable since I got it.

Jul 6, 2017 at 5:05 AM Post #5,333 of 12,400
What would be an ideal DAC? One without a sound signature. The Yggdrasil is pretty close. It is detailed and in terms of frequency and timing seems spot on (the very well defined bass is a good indication). Maybe you could ask Torq and take a look at his thread where he makes a comparison with several DACs using the Yggdrasil as benchmark.

Much appreciated. I use $20'000+ DAC as my reference and the more I'm familiar with it, the more I realize that it's not quite about tonal balance, being cold or warm etc., but the ability to not limit the soundstage, sketch instruments in certain way and maintain proper impact and momentum in general. And of course to hear the rest of the setup on top of everything else. As far as d/a converters go, that's way I see it. My guess is that Yggdrasil can do all that in proper fashion. The real question (for me subjectively) is whether it can do it as good as the best sources known to me. It's time to take a look what Torq wrote, thanks for this!

Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en
Jul 6, 2017 at 5:08 AM Post #5,334 of 12,400
I would say, it does not have a signature and it would let you hear the signature of recording equipment. So, most of Diana Krall's albums would sond same it they were recorded in same studio. Similarly, if you notice most, if not all, recordings of Cassandra Wilson will sound very big, spacious and clear. Melody Gardot's albums will have darkest black background.

The ability to differentiate recordings is highly valued in my book. Thank you for this description.

Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en
Jul 6, 2017 at 7:34 AM Post #5,335 of 12,400
I would like to upgrade my USB cable to see if things make a difference. Right now I have a supposed 'audiophile eBay cable'. I only need a .5m or 20" cable. I want to keep my budget under $100. I was thinking about one of the Wireworld models. Any opinions for synergy with Yggy? This would help direct my search.

Thanks

Jul 6, 2017 at 7:36 AM Post #5,336 of 12,400
Windows 8 and 10 users should try jplay. Possibly the best player. A lot better than Jriver in terms of SQ. If jplay can benefit my dac I can only dream of what it can do with Yggy as a partner.
I don't own an Yggy but will sometime next year. I just keep checking the Yggy thread for user impressions. They also have a JCAT PCIe card that is supposed to improve the SQ. They have a new playback engine called ULTRAstream which is better than Xtream. ULTRAstream also solves compatibility issues which some DACS had but it needs Win 8 or above.

http://jplay.eu/reviews/
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2017/06/were-gonna-jplay-in-the-sunshine/

Jul 6, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #5,338 of 12,400
I would like to upgrade my USB cable to see if things make a difference. Right now I have a supposed 'audiophile eBay cable'. I only need a .5m or 20" cable. I want to keep my budget under $100. I was thinking about one of the Wireworld models. Any opinions for synergy with Yggy? This would help direct my search.
In my experience, once your USB cable is short enough and decent (eg. Monoprice) quality, it's no longer the SQ bottleneck. Quality of the USB source, quality of the USB receiver are more important. But even with the good quality USB receiver in the Yggy, moving to AES from a good USB setup has some benefit. Not going that far, a good quality USB>S/PDIF coax converter can help. But the differences are not huge.

Jul 6, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #5,339 of 12,400
Earnmyturns,

Great explanation of the USB source options! Are you going to the SF Can Jam next month? I am hoping too as enjoyed the LA Can Jam earlier this year...

Jul 6, 2017 at 9:18 PM Post #5,340 of 12,400
Earnmyturns,

Great explanation of the USB source options! Are you going to the SF Can Jam next month? I am hoping too as enjoyed the LA Can Jam earlier this year...
Thanks! Can Jam SF, maybe, never been to one. OTOH, I had convinced myself that I had reached peak hardware...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back