Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jun 24, 2017 at 4:54 AM Post #5,296 of 12,283
I cannot understand the logic of getting a professional Lynx card to make the PC sound professional. Wouldn't getting a nice CD player be better? That's what I do. I use a CD player and I also use the PC for casual listening.

Surely Yggy doesn't sound that horrible with USB that you need to go to that expense. Jason doesn't think so. Neither do I. I still use naked USB and I will continue to use it till Schiit comes up with a better solution.

USB 3 maybe? or AOIP.

Either way using PC is a compromise in pure fidelity which many of us can readily accept for the convenience.

Jun 24, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #5,297 of 12,283
Well I did the test between a Yggy left on for a week and a Yggy stone cold.

I couldn't hear a difference. I was expecting to pick up on something. Like harshness or something. Nothing. It could be my source or HP's.

I will be turning mine off and on as required.

Jun 25, 2017 at 6:28 AM Post #5,298 of 12,283
I cannot understand the logic of getting a professional Lynx card to make the PC sound professional. Wouldn't getting a nice CD player be better? That's what I do. I use a CD player and I also use the PC for casual listening.

Surely Yggy doesn't sound that horrible with USB that you need to go to that expense. Jason doesn't think so. Neither do I. I still use naked USB and I will continue to use it till Schiit comes up with a better solution.

USB 3 maybe? or AOIP.

Either way using PC is a compromise in pure fidelity which many of us can readily accept for the convenience.

Convenience is important. Think about the space that takes to store 500 CDs vs a 1TB SSD, not to mention the convenience of using a player like Audirvana vs a CD player.
Also, when buying new stuff it is much more convenient to search and download from places like Qobuz than to buy the CD and wait for the postman or go to the store, and this without considering streaming.
I agree, USB implementation on Yggdrasil is good and USB to AES/EBU or PCIe to AES/EBU (better option) may represent a marginal gain considering the cost.

Jun 25, 2017 at 6:46 AM Post #5,299 of 12,283
I agree, USB implementation on Yggdrasil is good and USB to AES/EBU or PCIe to AES/EBU (better option) may represent a marginal gain considering the cost.

It's good to get some agreement here. I can't agree with your statement more. I really think that the USB Gen 3 in Yggdrasil is quite good.... I see no need at this point to fiddle with those expensive 3rd party options. If your PC is relatively new and it has a very quiet fan and mine is. My PC isn't heavily multi tasked apart from browsing and reading news.

Re convenience, some just don't mind the traditional way. Like using vinyl and the turntable. :) However that's another topic. :)

Btw I listen to Tidal Hifi a lot and my collection of about 300 plus CDs including about 30 plus audiophile grade JVC XRCD and Chesky stuff and about a puny 57 LPs of carefully selected 180gms albums. :) .... and the CDs are all ripped in as flac files ... and I have both an iMac 27" + Audirvana Plus 3 and a new PC running Windows 10 with JRiver MC23.

Jun 25, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #5,300 of 12,283
Have you ever tried Roon? Roon + Yggy = Nirvana . BTW...Badas, The Yggy must be left on 24-7 to obtain pure sweetness...in fact Schiit recommends this! I use a AudioByte Hydra Z/AES for my DDC between my Mac Mini and my Yggy.....

Jun 25, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #5,301 of 12,283
I really think that the USB Gen 3 in Yggdrasil is quite good.... I see no need at this point to fiddle with those expensive 3rd party options.

That's great. Then don't do anything to improve the sound. But, to me, Yggdrasil sounds better using the Singxer F-1 DDC than it does using straight USB. Schiit is coming out with Eitr soon which is purported to be some kind of DDC. Obviously there is a demand for such a product.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #5,303 of 12,283
So which sounds better? What is the consensus?

ISO Regen and Singxer SU-1via AES/EBU XLR into Yggy or just ISO Regen into Yggy via USB?

I can sort of answer that. For me, {ISO Regen > Singxer F-1 > Yggdrasil} sounded better than {ISO Regen > Yggdrasil}.

It appears any time you can avoid using USB on the DAC side it is a good thing.

Jun 27, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #5,304 of 12,283
So which sounds better? What is the consensus?

ISO Regen and Singxer SU-1via AES/EBU XLR into Yggy or just ISO Regen into Yggy via USB?
Probably hard to get a representative consensus given how many variations there are. In my experience, microRendu+LPS-1>USB>SU-1>AES>Yggy is slightly better than microRendu+LPS-1>USB>Yggy in background quietness and instrument separation. Auralic Aries>AES>Yggy is at least as good as microRendu+LPS-1>USB>SU-1>AES>Yggy and it simplifies wiring and saves space, which are the main reasons I made that change. IMHO, USB out of microRendu+LPS-1 is very good, but it's possible that the differences between USB and AES within the Yggy set that combo back relative to any good quality AES source.

Jun 27, 2017 at 11:07 PM Post #5,305 of 12,283
While I haven't played with those particular setups, AES into the Jggy has top of the heap status for me.
So I figure any way of getting an AES feed into the Jggy is going to yield 'Better' results than any other means.

JJ

Jun 28, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #5,308 of 12,283
I currently listen to music stored on my Synology NAS via Roon installed on an Intel NUC (Roon Optimized Core Kit). The Roon endpoint is a SOtM sMS-200 ultra via USB to a Matrix Sabre DAC. I am thinking of upgrading my DAC to a Schiit Yggdrasil. Do you see any issues with the move? I suppose I wont be able to play DSD/DXD files. One other thing I do is connect the XLR and RCA outputs to 2 different amplifiers simultaneously. Can the Yggdrasil output to both outputs at the same time?

Jun 28, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #5,309 of 12,283
One other thing I do is connect the XLR and RCA outputs to 2 different amplifiers simultaneously. Can the Yggdrasil output to both outputs at the same time?

All of Yggdrasil's outputs are active all the time. It's the input you have to select.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back