Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jul 6, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #5,341 of 12,283
Thanks! Can Jam SF, maybe, never been to one. OTOH, I had convinced myself that I had reached peak hardware...

I think there is no such thing as peak hardware in this hobby. There will always be something new that's worth getting. ; )

Jul 7, 2017 at 1:07 AM Post #5,342 of 12,283
I think there is no such thing as peak hardware in this hobby. There will always be something new that's worth getting. ; )
angel-and-devil.jpeg

Jul 7, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #5,343 of 12,283
Well I had a lot of fun at the LA Can Jam....so I thought about going to the one in the City... It's fun listening other HP's to compare to your own rig(s) . I see you have the new Mr Speakers Aeon...It must work to keep the noise from your colleague's cubes?

I live in Brentwood So I can be in the city in 45 minutes with No traffic. Let me know if you attend...it'd be fun to meet up! I just got a Jot yesterday for my Home office....to pair with the Bimby I had bought earlier.

Cheers!

BTW....Love that Homer 'toon!!! Isn't that the truth! Doh!

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017 at 12:43 AM Post #5,344 of 12,283
Well I had a lot of fun at the LA Can Jam....so I thought about going to the one in the City... It's fun listening other HP's to compare to your own rig(s) . I see you have the new Mr Speakers Aeon...It must work to keep the noise from your colleague's cubes?

I live in Brentwood So I can be in the city in 45 minutes with No traffic. Let me know if you attend...it'd be fun to meet up! I just got a Jot yesterday for my Home office....to pair with the Bimby I had bought earlier.
The Æons are perfect when I need to concentrate at work, with some of the more spacey jazz and modern classical in my collection. Although in theory I'd be running them from Bimby>Jot, in practice I've been running them directly from my QP1R because there's a comfy sofa away from my desk that works better for concentration with my laptop.

I'm hoping to make it to Can Jam, Burlingame is pretty close to home in North Palo Alto. More for the social side than for getting new gear, but one never knows.

Jul 8, 2017 at 12:47 AM Post #5,345 of 12,283

Cheers!

BTW....Love that Homer 'toon!!! Isn't that the truth! Doh!

You paired the Jot with the yggy? U ever got a chance to compare it with the raggy? Wondering how close or big the gap is between these amps. (Talk about always something tempting us...:o2smile:)

Jul 8, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #5,346 of 12,283
You paired the Jot with the yggy? U ever got a chance to compare it with the raggy? Wondering how close or big the gap is between these amps. (Talk about always something tempting us...:o2smile:)
Been too busy to try all possible combos of the gear I own, and take the time to evaluate the differences. Never tried a Raggy. It would not be too difficult to try Yggy>Jot downstairs, maybe I'll try that one of these days.

Jul 8, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #5,347 of 12,283
Been too busy to try all possible combos of the gear I own, and take the time to evaluate the differences. Never tried a Raggy. It would not be too difficult to try Yggy>Jot downstairs, maybe I'll try that one of these days.

You do have quite a lot of gear there to try out combos. Will be quite a chore. My yggy to Jot via balance is extraordinary, esp with balance out to your cans. So I can only imagine how great it would be with your more capable HP-1. But still love to hear your impression when you get around to trying the Schiit combo. You must have seen @FLTWS shared a comparison between the Jot, MJ2 and Rag. Quite a nice read.

Jul 9, 2017 at 1:09 AM Post #5,348 of 12,283
I just ordered a Rggy to pair with my Yggy. :)

I heard Yggy > Rggy > hd800 at Addicted To Audio a month ago and bought / brought Yggy and hd800 home. I love the sound from this combo.

Now a month later, I place my order for the Rggy. Looking forward to it.

Oh... also bought a pair of Schiit Pyst balance xlr cables.

Jul 9, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #5,349 of 12,283
+350 pages is a struggle to deal with, hence a favor to ask good souls here. Can someone please describe Yggy's sound signature in several words? To which DAC it's quite close?

I agree with most. It's difficult to describe a signature with the Yggy other than saying its natural or accurate sounding. I can compare it to the Teac UD-503, but with more accurate bass and maybe a little warmer in tone. Its's the Gungnir Multibit that has more of a defined signature, and in secret I actually think it sounds better.

Jul 9, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #5,351 of 12,283
Have anyone compared Yggdrasil vs chord hugo 2?

Cheers
There's a comparison in a competing site, search engines are your friend.

Jul 10, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #5,353 of 12,283
Have anyone compared Yggdrasil vs chord hugo 2?

Cheers

i don't think the hugo2 has shipped yet (or at least not in any quantity) so i think the question is a bit early -- you'll have to be patient.

Jul 14, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #5,354 of 12,283
I have one here. A/B'ing them level-matched through a Master 9 with Utopias (Yggy using the balanced outputs) I can get a bit more underlying detail with the Hugo 2 from the best recordings I have. For example, guitar note decay on Three Guitars (24/96 HDTracks) is clear, including the harmonics, from the Hugo 2, but through the Yggy it's more "one note" decay. That's the most extreme test though. If I do something like plug all three $2k DACs into the Solaris and listen with other headphones, and especially other music that isn't so well-recorded, it is harder to pick out which is which. Prior to that, the Hugo 1 was a distinct step behind the Yggy, both fed from a good streamer.

Jul 15, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #5,355 of 12,283
For example, guitar note decay on Three Guitars (24/96 HDTracks) is clear, including the harmonics, from the Hugo 2, but through the Yggy it's more "one note" decay.
Hum... I have that album as CD, and through my Yggy-based speaker system (see my sig), I have no difficulty in hearing the harmonics, including beat between decaying harmonics. I was lucky to hear them live, too, so I have some sense of how they sounded together. I wonder if the critical issue here is the (mis)match between the DAC filters and transducer response, especially in regards to impulse response (causal vs not).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back