Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jul 15, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #5,356 of 12,287
S
Hum... I have that album as CD, and through my Yggy-based speaker system (see my sig), I have no difficulty in hearing the harmonics, including beat between decaying harmonics. I was lucky to hear them live, too, so I have some sense of how they sounded together. I wonder if the critical issue here is the (mis)match between the DAC filters and transducer response, especially in regards to impulse response (causal vs not).
same impressions here in my system!

Jul 15, 2017 at 11:56 PM Post #5,357 of 12,287
I can hear the harmonics from the Yggy and R2R 7, but I can hear more going on with the Hugo 2 inside the harmonics of the note decay. It can't have anything whatsoever to do with filters or impulse response, the latter of which doesn't exist in music.

Jul 16, 2017 at 12:25 AM Post #5,358 of 12,287
I can hear the harmonics from the Yggy and R2R 7, but I can hear more going on with the Hugo 2 inside the harmonics of the note decay. It can't have anything whatsoever to do with filters or impulse response, the latter of which doesn't exist in music.
Filters with different properties have different impulse responses, which are just a convenient way of visualizing those differences. Those differences may affect what you hear (see here for an up to date account). IF "It can't have anything whatsoever to do with filters," I find it curious that high-end DAC designers put so much effort in filter design, including the designers at Chord with their unusually large number of filter taps.

Jul 16, 2017 at 1:50 AM Post #5,359 of 12,287
Filters with different properties have different impulse responses, which are just a convenient way of visualizing those differences. Those differences may affect what you hear (see here for an up to date account). IF "It can't have anything whatsoever to do with filters," I find it curious that high-end DAC designers put so much effort in filter design, including the designers at Chord with their unusually large number of filter taps.

Unless I'm confusing what you're trying to say, how much detail I find each DAC retrieves doesn't alone have to do with the digital filter. What is interesting to me is how you can have two different designers use almost polar opposite approaches to something and yet both get an excellent result.

Jul 17, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #5,360 of 12,287
Did you guys see the Eitr today.....I was hoping for much more....glad I got my Hydra Z instead of waiting.....Are you guys gonna send your Yggy's in for the new $150 Gen 5 USB board?

Jul 17, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #5,362 of 12,287
Did you guys see the Eitr today.....I was hoping for much more....glad I got my Hydra Z instead of waiting.....Are you guys gonna send your Yggy's in for the new $150 Gen 5 USB board?

Funny, I just read about this upgrade. Since I have my other Lynx soundcard on order, I'll just stick with the AES and not worry about it I guess.

Jul 17, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #5,363 of 12,287
I am moving to a Roon Endpoint that is Ethernet in and AES/EBU out. So I will not be doing the Gen 5 USB Yggdrasil upgrade at this point in time. But I applaud them doing it!!

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #5,364 of 12,287
So where can I find the info about this Gen 5 USB Yggdrasil upgrade? I haven't heard of it. Can anyone provide me with a link to the site?

Jul 17, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #5,366 of 12,287
Since it would cost me a huge amount to ship my Yggy back for the upgrade, I'm probably going to get an Eitr.

Jul 17, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #5,367 of 12,287
Thanks. I have also read about this and the Eitr on the head.fi schiit blog... Thing is, I am using audiophilleo 2 with Pure power with my Yggy, so I am not sure I need either the Gen 5 upgrade or the Eitr... I would however like to read some reviews in order to find out how they stack up against the spdif/usb converters that are already in the market... If they are as good as Schiit claims they are, the Eitr would be interesting, given that it is the more versatile and transportable option of the two.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #5,368 of 12,287
Was expecting much more from the Eitr. I have the SU-1 so the Eitr or Gen5 upgrade dont make sense so Ill be looking to get an ethernet in, AES out solution. Probably thinking of the Aries now..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back