Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jul 20, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #5,387 of 12,289
Last edited:
Jul 20, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #5,388 of 12,289
Innoculate yourself against "Upgraditis," buy an Yggdrasil today!

Now that I've innoculated myself after buying Yggdrasil (which by the way is super awesome), I've placed an order with a local supplier for a Ragnarok. Heard that pairing with a HD800 and love it. However, the store is awaiting a shipment from USA and it could take a while, especially with the recent 3 releases of Schiit's items. :)

Alternatively the store has Violectric V281 or a Woo Audio Wa22. I was wondering if it's sensible to consider these and have an audition or wait out for Ragnarok. I do like how Yggy and Rag look together. It's a matching pair and I can use balance finally.

Seeing you have both Yggy and Rag, would you recommend that I innoculate myself with Ragnarok too? :)

Sorry if this is not concerning Yggy but it does relate to Yggy.

Ps.. I do already have an OTL amp in Euforia but that's totally unrelated to my purchase decision.

Besides headphones (HD800, T1, HD650), I will (and have) use Yggy with my speakers. At the moment, I am using Yggy with a 'vintage' receiver out to my Axis LS28 bookshelf speakers and a 12" powered subwoofer. Sounds great !

Jul 20, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #5,389 of 12,289
Hello, I'm new to this forum. I've been lurking here and there for awhile. I've had the yggy for about a month now. So far I am impressed overall. There are details in recordings that I never noticed before and just a lot more texture to the music compared to the DAC I had before, which was a Peachtree Itx.

The one thing that my Peachtree DAC has over the Yggy though is galvanized isolation on the USB input. When I connect my Yggy to my Synology NAS server via USB, I get a humming sound - but only when I am on my AV input on my Nait Integrated Xs2 - which is weird because my AV input isn't really "connected" to the Yggy. I assume this is a groundloop issue of some sort, but it never occurred with the Peachtree - which was connected exactly the same way and with the same cables. Any insights on this issue?

The other thing I want to ask other owners is whether your COAX input is a bit loose? I plugged in a new COAX digital cable yesterday and I noticed that the input has a bit of movement to it...maybe this is by design? Mine seems to be working great so not sure if I should be concerned about it, but I want it to be perfect.

Thanks.

Schiit just announced their Gen 5 USB interface for many of their DACs, including Yggy. It features full galvanic isolation via transformers.

Yes, the coax plug seem a little flimsy on my Yggy too. But, I am not concerned about it.

Jul 20, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #5,390 of 12,289
Jul 20, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #5,391 of 12,289
Hello, I'm new to this forum. I've been lurking here and there for awhile. I've had the yggy for about a month now. So far I am impressed overall. There are details in recordings that I never noticed before and just a lot more texture to the music compared to the DAC I had before, which was a Peachtree Itx.

The one thing that my Peachtree DAC has over the Yggy though is galvanized isolation on the USB input. When I connect my Yggy to my Synology NAS server via USB, I get a humming sound - but only when I am on my AV input on my Nait Integrated Xs2 - which is weird because my AV input isn't really "connected" to the Yggy. I assume this is a groundloop issue of some sort, but it never occurred with the Peachtree - which was connected exactly the same way and with the same cables. Any insights on this issue?

The other thing I want to ask other owners is whether your COAX input is a bit loose? I plugged in a new COAX digital cable yesterday and I noticed that the input has a bit of movement to it...maybe this is by design? Mine seems to be working great so not sure if I should be concerned about it, but I want it to be perfect.

Thanks.

your humming situation sounds weird -- doesn't sound like it's something to blame the yggy for. if i were to assess blame, it would be the synology nas as the usb was intended for usb drives, not necessarily audio applications.

regarding the coax connection, i think your issue is with the cable, not the yggy. my coax cable is so tight on the yggy, i can barely get it off.

Jul 20, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #5,392 of 12,289
Im so glad i bought my Yggdrasil in january, even though the upgrade came only 6months later. If i had a non upgradeable DAC I would be feeling bummed out (i guess probably like the he-1000 -> he-1000v2 thing)

Jul 20, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #5,394 of 12,289
Schiit just announced their Gen 5 USB interface for many of their DACs, including Yggy. It features full galvanic isolation via transformers.

Yes, the coax plug seem a little flimsy on my Yggy too. But, I am not concerned about it.

Same here on the Yggy. Same on my Bimby I had previously. I'm not really worried about it.

Jul 20, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #5,396 of 12,289
Yes, normal and by design. don't know why, but it's true and works.

Jul 20, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #5,397 of 12,289
Do you know if your Yggy has the new Gen 5 USB? That has internal transformer isolation (see Jason Stoddard's latest Schiit Happened chapter which is linked from the front page). If it doesn't, you might want to upgrade to it if you can.

Jul 20, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #5,398 of 12,289
your humming situation sounds weird -- doesn't sound like it's something to blame the yggy for. if i were to assess blame, it would be the synology nas as the usb was intended for usb drives, not necessarily audio applications.

regarding the coax connection, i think your issue is with the cable, not the yggy. my coax cable is so tight on the yggy, i can barely get it off.

Jul 21, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #5,400 of 12,289
Do you know if your Yggy has the new Gen 5 USB? That has internal transformer isolation (see Jason Stoddard's latest Schiit Happened chapter which is linked from the front page). If it doesn't, you might want to upgrade to it if you can.

I will have to look into this. I just got it so I hope I didn't just miss out on this feature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back