Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jul 21, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #5,401 of 12,285
Schiit just announced their Gen 5 USB interface for many of their DACs, including Yggy. It features full galvanic isolation via transformers.

Yes, the coax plug seem a little flimsy on my Yggy too. But, I am not concerned about it.

That's a relief about the coax.

Not thrilled to hear about this transformer update as i just purchased my Yggy. Does anybody know if the transformer is upgradeable?

Jul 21, 2017 at 12:17 AM Post #5,402 of 12,285
There's no transformer update AFAIK. The reference is to how Eitr/USB5 achieves isolation.

Jul 21, 2017 at 12:51 AM Post #5,403 of 12,285
Not thrilled to hear about this transformer update as i just purchased my Yggy. Does anybody know if the transformer is upgradeable?

There's no transformer update AFAIK. The reference is to how Eitr/USB5 achieves isolation.

It's not a transformer update. There is a USB hardware update for Yggdrasil and there is an external box called Eitr that converts from USB to S/PDIF coax. Both use transformers to galvanically isolate the DAC.

Jul 22, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #5,405 of 12,285
New Yggdrasil - Gen 5 USB question.
Hi, I received my new Gen 5 Yggdrasil last Thursday after placing the order in April. I am new to the Schiit and Head-Fi family and have been reading this forum for a few months. Thanks for all the good information. I have read the owners manual, pretty simple. I have a question about how the Sample Rate Indicators normally work on the Gen 3 older model. My Yggy is connected direct to a Mini Mac with the Schiit USB cable. My understanding is the Sample Rate Indicator lights will automatically change as the Yggy sees different file formats. So, a 44.1 file will show the 44.1 light and the 1x light. I assume a 96K file will change the lights automatically to the 48K and 2X lights? I have tried 41.1K, 96K and 192K file formats and the lights never change from 44.1 , 1x. The paper owners manual refers to the Gen 3 USB, not the new Gen 5 on this unit. There is a label on the back of my unit "USB Gen 5" above that connector. My question is why does the Sample Rate Indicators stay in only 44.1, 1x?

I did send tech support an email last Thursday, no response yet. I am hoping this is something simple that I am overlooking.

After 48 continuous hours of processing, this DAC is starting to bloom! Truly amazing so far with my tube gear.

Jul 22, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #5,406 of 12,285
Hi, I received my new Gen 5 Yggdrasil last Thursday after placing the order in April. I am new to the Schiit and Head-Fi family and have been reading this forum for a few months. Thanks for all the good information. I have read the owners manual, pretty simple. I have a question about how the Sample Rate Indicators normally work on the Gen 3 older model. My Yggy is connected direct to a Mini Mac with the Schiit USB cable. My understanding is the Sample Rate Indicator lights will automatically change as the Yggy sees different file formats. So, a 44.1 file will show the 44.1 light and the 1x light. I assume a 96K file will change the lights automatically to the 48K and 2X lights? I have tried 41.1K, 96K and 192K file formats and the lights never change from 44.1 , 1x. The paper owners manual refers to the Gen 3 USB, not the new Gen 5 on this unit. There is a label on the back of my unit "USB Gen 5" above that connector. My question is why does the Sample Rate Indicators stay in only 44.1, 1x?

I did send tech support an email last Thursday, no response yet. I am hoping this is something simple that I am overlooking.

After 48 continuous hours of processing, this DAC is starting to bloom! Truly amazing so far with my tube gear.

What software are you using to play your music files? Looks like it may be forcing everything to play at 44.1/16.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #5,408 of 12,285
Sierra v10.12.5

No. Not what version of MacOS are you running. What software are you using to play the music files? ITunes?

Jul 22, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #5,410 of 12,285
Will iTunes 12.6.2.20 operate the Yggy? I have also been using Spotify Premium. Should I switch to Roon and/or Tidal? I have used Pure Music for years, I just want the highest quality files and performance. Appreciate the advice.

As far as I'm aware both Spotify and Tidal are 44.1/16 only.

My point is that if you were using iTunes, which really is long overdue for an overhaul in this area, is that it doesn't output audio files at their bitrate. It uses the bit depth and bitrate set against your DAC in midi settings instead which is located in Applications/Utilities. So iTunes isn't really the best software to use if you have any hi-res audio files.

Jul 22, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #5,411 of 12,285

Hello there. Did you ordered ygg in April and already received usb gen5?? How come?

Jul 22, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #5,412 of 12,285
Yes, iTunes will change the Sample Rate Indicators on the Yggy manually. To the best of my knowledge, iTunes does not automatically switch sample rate for different file formats automatically. What is the best software to switch the Yggy automatically other than my Pure Music software? Is Tidal only 44.1?

Jul 22, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #5,414 of 12,285
I have a question about how the Sample Rate Indicators normally work on the Gen 3 older model. My Yggy is connected direct to a Mini Mac with the Schiit USB cable. My understanding is the Sample Rate Indicator lights will automatically change as the Yggy sees different file formats. So, a 44.1 file will show the 44.1 light and the 1x light. I assume a 96K file will change the lights automatically to the 48K and 2X lights? I have tried 41.1K, 96K and 192K file formats and the lights never change from 44.1 , 1x. The paper owners manual refers to the Gen 3 USB, not the new Gen 5 on this unit. There is a label on the back of my unit "USB Gen 5" above that connector. My question is why does the Sample Rate Indicators stay in only 44.1, 1x?

The system (MacOS Sierra) sets the output sample rate. It will re-sample any file (or PCM stream) to that rate. You can change it in Audio Midi Set-up. The system does not automatically change it for a file. For that, you need software that will automatically change the sample rate, like Audirvana Plus or Vox.

Jul 22, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #5,415 of 12,285
The system (MacOS Sierra) sets the output sample rate. It will re-sample any file (or PCM stream) to that rate. You can change it in Audio Midi Set-up. The system does not automatically change it for a file. For that, you need software that will automatically change the sample rate, like Audirvana Plus or Vox.

It is digital rookie day for me, thanks for the Midi Setup reminder. I did reinstall Pure Music and it automatically switches the sample rate for iTunes on my new Gen 5 Yggy. Spotify is set to 44.1 for now.

Only Schiit can say why a late April order was delivered this week, I assume the Gen 5 had a lot to do with the delay. I cannot say how happy I am to have the Gen 5 USB upgrade, I appreciate their delay now. Many pages have been written on optimizing the USB connection and Schiit has certainly weighed in on the subject with the Gen 5 upgrade. The Yggdrasil is a noticeably better than my Raga after 48 hours. It will be interesting to hear this DAC in three weeks on my Peter Noerbaek 1371 full range speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back