Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Apr 11, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #4,666 of 12,201
just a heads up to all Yggy owners who connect via USB to a Windows 10 powered pc. Today the Creators update should start rolling out. If you didn't know, USB Audio 2.0 is supported for some DACs, but not Yggy. You need to stick with the Schiit driver package. 

so if Yggy disappears from your audio control panel after the update, you now know why. reinstall the driver and all is good. I did mine from a clean install and where Gumby showed up, Yggy didn't and needed the driver

Apr 11, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #4,667 of 12,201
This is a really good question. My setup will need to feed Freya and Mjolnir 2. Instead of feeding one with SE outputs, I am going to use quality XLR "Y" splitters is I can feed both units via XLR. From what I understand, splitting the XLR out, if done with quality hardware, will have no effect on signal quality.

Exactly what I was planning, I was curious if there was a more elegant solution. I also want to avoid using SE to the Raggy, XLR all the way

Apr 11, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #4,668 of 12,201
US Blues.....Wow...I just looked on the back of my BDP-105...it seems to have a coaxial Digital out!!!!  

Thanks so much US Blues....must have been a while since I looked back there like I just did.    Mike Moffat said the Digital CoAx is the second best port out...after the AES....

Can't wait to try it!!!    I hardly ever play discs anymore...but I really love SACD and DVD Audio.  

I have been told there are ways to Rip those and playback multichannel???   Of course the Yggy is only 2 channels, But I will check this out for sure! 

Apr 11, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #4,669 of 12,201
  US Blues.....Wow...I just looked on the back of my BDP-105...it seems to have a coaxial Digital out!!!!  

Thanks so much US Blues....must have been a while since I looked back there like I just did.    Mike Moffat said the Digital CoAx is the second best port out...after the AES....

Can't wait to try it!!!    I hardly ever play discs anymore...but I really love SACD and DVD Audio.  

I have been told there are ways to Rip those and playback multichannel???   Of course the Yggy is only 2 channels, But I will check this out for sure! 

I sent off all my SACD's and DVD-Audio discs to Golden Ear Digital along with a hard drive and they sent back the fully tagged rips. I paid $5 for stereo only and $7.50 for both stereo and multichannel layers. I copied the rips to 3 different SSD drives (office headphone, work headphone as well as speaker setup *) and I also converted them to mp3 using JRiver Media Center.  Now I can listen to my SACD's and DVD-Audio discs anywhere!

*  A cool thing about the Oppo BDP-105 is that you can connect an external USB hard drive - I use a completely silent SSD drive.

Enjoy.

Apr 11, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #4,670 of 12,201

I meant to mention in my earlier comment that the article is a downloadable pdf file.

The other two DACS that were mentioned are the Berkeley Alpha Reference (19.5k) and the dCS Vivaldi (35k).

LOL! I love a good laugh as the day winds down for me. $19.5k and $35K, and the Yggy is 3rd in this group!

Apr 11, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #4,671 of 12,201
  Seeing Mr Moffat at the CANJAM this weekend...he says the Eitr is 90 days away...;-(

Of course he would not divulge any details....not even if it has AES out?    It's got to... as he thinks this is the best port of entry for the best performance of the Yggy!

I wish I would have asked is it's selling price is 3 figures or 4...My guess is it simply cannot be 4 figures and follow their popular pricing paradigm ....

The price for the Eitr is supposedly expected to be less than a mimby :)

Apr 11, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #4,672 of 12,201

kayhikski,

Thanks so much for that....I will be sending out my SACD and DVD-A's to get this done!    Golden Ear Digital will;l be hearing Fromm me.

I might have to try that outboard NAS on the 105...I think that can be done on my Marantz 8801 as well.   I modified my Mac mini,  and my two iMACs with 1TB SSD's and they turned them in to Rocket ships!

Thanks so much for that info...I really appreciate it!!!
tongue.gif

Apr 11, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #4,673 of 12,201

The price for the Eitr is supposedly expected to be less than a mimby :)

Thanks Jozurr!!!    That's sounds great!.....It's hard to believe it will be that that low....:wink:.  Hope he gets it going sooner than later...

Apr 11, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #4,674 of 12,201

Yes, and with your idea of connecting a hard drive you'll be good to go. I think you'll be able to control the 105 from a smart phone app for NAS playback.

One thing- SACD's don't output a digital signal via coax, it is how they are copy protected.

Apr 11, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #4,675 of 12,201
  The other two DACS that were mentioned are the Berkeley Alpha Reference (19.5k) and the dCS Vivaldi (35k).

The fellow from Computer Audiophile compared Yggy to the Berkeley DAC and said he couldn't really hear a difference. The Vivaldi is 15x the price, anybody know if it offers 15x the performance?
wink_face.gif

Apr 11, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #4,676 of 12,201
Seeing Mr Moffat at the CANJAM this weekend...he says the Eitr is 90 days away...;-(

Of course he would not divulge any details....not even if it has AES out?    It's got to... as he thinks this is the best port of entry for the best performance of the Yggy!

I wish I would have asked is it's selling price is 3 figures or 4...My guess is it simply cannot be 4 figures and follow their popular pricing paradigm ....

Could you please explain what is the Eitr? Thank you

Apr 11, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #4,677 of 12,201
Eitr....another Norse name as is the rest of their lineup...  This means (from what I can glean from the web) Crap Eater...as in some type of DDC USB interface.   

Mike says the best input to use for the Yggy is the AES, #2 Coax...Currently using USB straight out of my MAC Mini...and loving that so can't wait to hear good the Yggy can still get!!!
tongue.gif
...only 90+ days
blink.gif
....I might give another method a shot in the meantime whilst I wait...
L3000.gif

Apr 11, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #4,678 of 12,201
Eitr....another Norse name as is the rest of their lineup...  This means (from what I can glean from the web) Crap Eater...as in some type of DDC USB interface.   

Mike says the best input to use for the Yggy is the AES, #2 Coax...Currently using USB straight out of my MAC Mini...and loving that so can't wait to hear good the Yggy can still get!!!:p ...only 90+ days:blink: ....I might give another method a shot in the meantime whilst I wait...:L3000:  

Ahh, I see. Thank you sir!. So, its basically a USB de-crapsifier and/or recolcoker. Very interesting!

Apr 11, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #4,679 of 12,201
Is this the Manhattan Project Jason was talking about?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back