Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Apr 11, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #4,681 of 12,328
Ahh, I see. Thank you sir!. So, its basically a USB de-crapsifier and/or recolcoker. Very interesting!

No....a DDC....converting USB to AES, S/PDIF BNC, and S/PDIF Coax.

Apr 11, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #4,682 of 12,328

I already have a Singxer F-1 which isolates the Yggdrasil from any potential "dirtiness" from the microRendu. 

The main thing the F-1 it does that matters is USB>S/PDIF, but even that may not matter so much for the microRendu. I've compared microRendu>USB>Yggy with microRendu>USB>Bel Canto mLink>S/PDIF>Yggy (the mLink is a discontinued XMOS-based converter with good clocks) and I could hear no difference. Using the LPS-1 for the microRendu made more of a difference. My conclusion is that all the (re)clocking of the F-1 and higher-end gadgets is not relevant for good sources and DACs, what matters is how well the source>DAC connection keeps out electrical noise that would leak into the DAC's D2A conversion and analog stages.

Apr 11, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #4,684 of 12,328
Apr 11, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #4,685 of 12,328
Eitr and MP are two different products.

Seems like the MP will be coax in and coax out in a small modi like box which will "treat" the audio.

Apr 12, 2017 at 12:49 AM Post #4,686 of 12,328
Eitr and MP are two different products.

Seems like the MP will be coax in and coax out in a small modi like box which will "treat" the audio.
Haven't heard of the Eitr before and Jason said in the seminar that they weren't ready to talk about MP yet and then the Eitr is brought up so I was curious.

Apr 12, 2017 at 12:53 AM Post #4,687 of 12,328
Haven't heard of the Eitr before and Jason said in the seminar that they weren't ready to talk about MP yet and then the Eitr is brought up so I was curious.

Yes the Eitr was kind of "sneaked-in" so to speak. Not complaining, but it was a bit of a mix-up for me initially as well.

Apr 12, 2017 at 1:29 AM Post #4,688 of 12,328
I like Robert Harley's taste in dac.
Here's his Sterophile review of Sonic Frontiers Sfd-2 mk2 dac that I manage to find used last year .http://www.stereophile.com/content/sonic-frontiers-sfd-2-da-processor-rh-sfd-2-mkii#QlDvSh2KPO5zJPT0.97. It is an amazing dac despite it's age. JA did not seem as impressed as Robert though.

Robert Harley in TAS 273 says Yggdrasil is one of best 3 Dacs he's ever heard 

Apr 12, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #4,689 of 12,328

kayhikski,

Thanks so much for that....I will be sending out my SACD and DVD-A's to get this done!    Golden Ear Digital will;l be hearing Fromm me.

I might have to try that outboard NAS on the 105...I think that can be done on my Marantz 8801 as well.   I modified my Mac mini,  and my two iMACs with 1TB SSD's and they turned them in to Rocket ships!

Thanks so much for that info...I really appreciate it!!!
tongue.gif

You are most welcome!

Yes, and with your idea of connecting a hard drive you'll be good to go. I think you'll be able to control the 105 from a smart phone app for NAS playback.

One thing- SACD's don't output a digital signal via coax, it is how they are copy protected.

Good point. The Oppo BDP-105 will convert SACD to PCM but only over HDMI.

My solution to that when I purchase the Yggdrasil will be to pre-convert the ripped dsf files to FLAC using JRiver Media Center and put those on the hard drive. One could alternatively utilize the BDP-105's DLNA client functionality and allow the source to convert them from DSD to PCM on the fly.

DSD can be a real PITA.

Apr 12, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #4,690 of 12,328
My yggy arrived yesterday after years of waiting...lol, or so it seemed.  Even with the extremely high expectations I had...and even ice cold out of the Schiit box...I am stunned.  A quantum leap upgrade coming from a Bimby...and I loved my Bimby.  I've gigged as a drummer for nearly 50 years...and I was rarely as engaged PLAYING as I was for 4 hours last night listening.  Instrument timbre like being there. So much more music per square inch than I've ever heard.  Man, I am in for one long, fantastic ride.

Edit:   The more I listen, one of the main things that stands out is the way the secondary instruments are brought into the mix...not as faint second-thoughts but as primary contributors to the music, fully 3-D.  And as to the solo instruments or voices, it has a gorgeous, seemingly instinctual way of presentation.  The thing is gushing in musicality. Immersion is so deep.  And this is less than 24 hours in.  That is a scary thought.
But I ain't scared, lol.

Apr 12, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #4,691 of 12,328
^ Good observations. I agree. Yggy seems to do the usual things well and bring different things into play as well...enjoy!

Apr 12, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #4,692 of 12,328

No....a DDC....converting USB to AES, S/PDIF BNC, and S/PDIF Coax.

IF it is really that, and IF it is going to improve something, why not use its development and make a Gen4 USB for the Yggdrasil (IF power and ground requirements are met)? Having another box and extra cables on the desk is a nuisance and we could see the first upgrade for the Yggdrasil.

Apr 13, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #4,693 of 12,328
I think because it's already been said that the AES input is the best performing input to get the most from the Yggy.   The USB...not so much.

I do know one thing, Mike is going to design/has designed, something that further improves one of the finest DACs you can buy....period....I am very grateful I have one sitting in my theater room!!!
tongue.gif

Apr 13, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #4,694 of 12,328
Hum... If the AES is converted to I2C, and the USB Gen3 is converting USB to I2C (or I2S instead?), and if the Eitr would be converting USB to AES, wouldn't it be possible to use the development in a new USB to I2C (Gen4?). Someone knowledgeable would like to clarify? I really would like to avoid more boxes and cables over the desk.

Apr 13, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #4,695 of 12,328
What I would like to see is a USB to AES/SPDIF converter that does full signal reconstruction and full galvanic isolation in a Modi sized box that costs less than $200!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back