Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Apr 13, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #4,696 of 12,329
Anyone have thoughts on USB vs BNC?

Apr 13, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #4,698 of 12,329
  Anyone have thoughts on USB vs BNC?

You mean USB versus SPDIF using BNC connectors?

SPDIF is better than USB and BNC is better than RCA for SPDIF.

Apr 13, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #4,699 of 12,329

You mean USB versus SPDIF using BNC connectors?

SPDIF is better than USB and BNC is better than RCA for SPDIF.

So with my Yggy if I were to get an ifi to convert USB to that it might be better potentially?

Apr 13, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #4,700 of 12,329
   So with my Yggy if I were to get an ifi to convert USB to that it might be better potentially?

I wouldn't get an iFi for that. I am using a Singxer F-1 and that has been stellar. Ultimately, I want to get a USB to AES/EBU DDC but I am standing pat until I see what comes out in the next 6 months or so.

Apr 13, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #4,701 of 12,329
Let''s say I already had the ifi (which I technically do) -- would it be worth it then?

Apr 13, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #4,703 of 12,329

It depends. As I wrote earlier, with my current USB source (microRendu+LPS-1), a capable XMOS-based USB>S/PDIF coax converter (in the style of the F-1 but older) did not make any difference I could hear. OTOH, reliable observers reported that a Mutec 3+USB USB>AES/EBU does make an audible improvement between the microRendu and the Yggy. I've not experienced that myself, and the Mutec is just too big (and expensive), so I'll wait for Eitr, whatever it is, on the assumption that it will be small and not so expensive that I'd regret getting one to experiment with.

Apr 13, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #4,704 of 12,329
LOL. He must not have seen the measurements!!

Well, in my 40 years in the hobby, I have found that great sound and great measurements are not always correlated.  As a matter of fact, my first truly high end component, the original design EL34 based Jadis Defy 7 was the best sounding piece I've ever owned, however, it did not measure well.  Furthermore, it sounded better than the subsequent 6550, KT88 and KT100 iterations which replaced it and had both more power and better specs.  

Kondo gear, which is both blessed and cursed with both unobtainium sound and pricing, has rarely measured well.

There are many other examples.

I doubt there is anyone who can listen to a reasonably well designed component and from that discern its general measured performance.

Apr 13, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #4,705 of 12,329
USB DDC hunters,

Just follow this flow chart:

http://bryston.com/PDF/tutorials/Tutorial_BUC-1_Flow_Chart.pdf

atsmile.gif

Apr 13, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #4,706 of 12,329
Well, in my 40 years in the hobby, I have found that great sound and great measurements are not always correlated.  As a matter of fact, my first truly high end component, the original design EL34 based Jadis Defy 7 was the best sounding piece I've ever owned, however, it did not measure well.  Furthermore, it sounded better than the subsequent 6550, KT88 and KT100 iterations which replaced it and had both more power and better specs.  

Kondo gear, which is both blessed and cursed with both unobtainium sound and pricing, has rarely measured well.

There are many other examples.

I doubt there is anyone who can listen to a reasonably well designed component and from that discern its general measured performance.

I totally agree. Measurements only tell part of the story.

Apr 13, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #4,707 of 12,329
What I'd like to see is USB skipped altogether and go from Ethernet > AES :)

Apr 13, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #4,708 of 12,329
  What I'd like to see is USB skipped altogether and go from Ethernet > AES :)

That would require drivers and I don't think Schiit wants to get involved with that.....

Apr 13, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #4,709 of 12,329

That would require drivers and I don't think Schiit wants to get involved with that.....

Well the Yggy requires drivers on the PC too. Probably not as complex but still. As much as @Baldr hates USB, I'd think schiit would want to skip USB altogether.

Apr 13, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #4,710 of 12,329

Well the Yggy requires drivers on the PC too. Probably not as complex but still. As much as @Baldr hates USB, I'd think schiit would want to skip USB altogether.

From all my reading, the issue I believe for Baldr is that a music signal thru USB in windows is not native. That translates to me that the USB implementation in windows is an afterthought so that they need drivers which are, in essence, a band-aid to get a correct signal to the DAC.

It appears USB sounds much better when driven thru a system running linux, as USB support is native (built in) to Linux. There is a thread for building a simple, dedicated linux system to feed music into a DAC. It's something I might pursue in the future, but right now, what I don't know won't hurt me as I have never listened to my Yggy thru anything else but my win 7 PC. I guess ignorance is bliss, as it sounds pretty darn good.

Granted this is all my summation of reading schiit on various posts. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back