Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Sep 24, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #3,211 of 12,304

How hot does the yggy get?  Does it warm up the room?  Is there a fire hazard leaving it on all the time?

It doesn't get hot at all, just slightly warm on the surface. No appreciable heat added to the room. Definitely not a fire hazard to leave it on.

I found the yggy temp to vary greatly.
The case really cools the unit well,
And so it depends on ambient temp and ventilation.

My room is very warm, so my yggy gets a bit hot on left side.
Raising the unit (putting bigger feet under) did very little to cool it..
But when I had a fan nearby it cooled down to barely noticeable..!

Sep 24, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #3,212 of 12,304
I wouldn't actively cool it, temperature stability is crucial.

Sep 24, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #3,213 of 12,304
I wouldn't actively cool it, temperature stability is crucial.

Yes that's a good point...

In my case it was a nearby fan that was cooling my tube amp on top of yggy.
It was as indirectly blowing some air around on top of yggy.

Sep 24, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #3,214 of 12,304
I don't think it's a good idea to cool tubes either, they have heaters for a reason. Let the stuff heat up, and gently cool naturally.

Sep 24, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #3,216 of 12,304
WIth open backed headphones in my quiet home office HeadFi environment, an out-in-the-open cooling fan is not going to happen.

IMO
YMMV

Sep 24, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #3,217 of 12,304
WIth open backed headphones in my quiet home office HeadFi environment, an out-in-the-open cooling fan is not going to happen.

IMO
YMMV

Agreed, this is why essentially no audio equipment has fans. People underestimate how background noise can add up. The difference between 0-10db background noise is huge compared to 30db. 30db being "a quiet bedroom".
Living within a metropolitan city myself, it's unavoidable. Camping up north where it can get 0-10db at night, bigger difference than a $5k amp can make (imo).

One of the first things I'll do when I own a home is make an audio quiet room. I don't see any alternative in a metro city.

Sep 26, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #3,218 of 12,304
Just listening to Someday My Prince Will Come by Miles Davis and I enjoyed a level of detail I never have before. 
It feels like I need to listen to my entire discography all over again since upping my game.

It's not just the Yggy but better phones, awesome tubes etc.

Sep 26, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #3,219 of 12,304
Just listening to Someday My Prince Will Come by Miles Davis and I enjoyed a level of detail I never have before. 
It feels like I need to listen to my entire discography all over again since upping my game.

It's not just the Yggy but better phones, awesome tubes etc.
What tube amp and phones? Looking for a new amp but not phones at the moment.

Sep 26, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #3,220 of 12,304
I have Audeze LCD2f & Lyr 2 presently, but Mjolnir 2 & LCD 3f on the way...

Sep 26, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #3,221 of 12,304
I have Audeze LCD2f & Lyr 2 presently, but Mjolnir 2 & LCD 3f on the way...
Ok was looking a different way to drive my Ether C's just want a good tube amp and was thinking of something different. The Mjolnir is great with them just looking for a different sound. I am at a impasse with the Ampsandsound Kenzie or Microzotl 2 at the moment. I'm leaning towards the Kenzie as it is just so smooth with the C's and sounded awesome with the Utopias as well and neither were driven by a Yggy.

Sep 26, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #3,222 of 12,304
Ok was looking a different way to drive my Ether C's just want a good tube amp and was thinking of something different. The Mjolnir is great with them just looking for a different sound. I am at a impasse with the Ampsandsound Kenzie or Microzotl 2 at the moment. I'm leaning towards the Kenzie as it is just so smooth with the C's and sounded awesome with the Utopias as well and neither were driven by a Yggy.

Did you roll tubes on the MicroZOTL2? I'm hoping to hear DNA Sonett 2 in better (quieter) conditions. I could PM you more details as I get more chances to hear these with headphones like the Utopia. Unfortunately, I do not know anyone regionally who has the Ether.

Sep 29, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #3,223 of 12,304

F
inally got a Yggy to complete my setup. I'm looking forward to my next stop, the KGSSHV. It's insane how clean this is.

Sep 29, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #3,224 of 12,304
Finally got a Yggy to complete my setup. I'm looking forward to my next stop, the KGSSHV. It's insane how clean this is.

Had to look up "KGSSHV". True Norse rather than Schiit, whoa! (Couldn't resist, Baldr forgive me).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back