Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Sep 13, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #3,181 of 12,398
I find speaker systems (in general) to be even more resolving of the subtle differences between the three DACs.

I compared directly Gumby and Bimby in my speaker system. At a local meet, we compared directly Gumby and Yggy, in a speaker system of a local member who was trying to decide between the two DACs. I would describe listening to the Gumby as highly resolving, highly engaging, but you still would not mind having a few friends over, with cocktails and snacks. However once the Yggy started to play, it demanded complete attention. Dynamics were bigger, and just the sheer resolving nature (listening to instruments, their placement, how they were played, such as how the drummer hit the drum this way one time and this way the second time) made it quite obvious which DAC we were listening to.

Sep 13, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #3,182 of 12,398
  I find speaker systems (in general) to be even more resolving of the subtle differences between the three DACs.

I compared directly Gumby and Bimby in my speaker system. At a local meet, we compared directly Gumby and Yggy, in a speaker system of a local member who was trying to decide between the two DACs. I would describe listening to the Gumby as highly resolving, highly engaging, but you still would not mind having a few friends over, with cocktails and snacks. However once the Yggy started to play, it demanded complete attention. Dynamics were bigger, and just the sheer resolving nature (listening to instruments, their placement, how they were played, such as how the drummer hit the drum this way one time and this way the second time) made it quite obvious which DAC we were listening to.

Curious, how would you compare and put the Modi Multi Bit in the mix. 

Thanks
Bob

Sep 13, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #3,183 of 12,398
Curious, how would you compare and put the Modi Multi Bit in the mix. 

Thanks
Bob

My setups have changed, and I no longer have the Bimby. Also moved all my Schiit DACs onto headphones - that's the bad news, considering for me the greatest delta I have heard is on speakers.

The good news is the local guys are keen on comparing DACs. If things work out well, we should be having a meet (upcoming very soon), for which I'm quite excited. We'll have all the DACs (Mimby, Bimby, Gumby, Yggy) as well has a few headphones (HD800S, HE1K, Utopia) and amplifiers (Jodie, Rag, Gold). With all said, I think we'll have a pretty strong sense of how things stack up.

I'm particularly interested in how much delta there is going from Mimby, Bimby, to Gumby - and (a question I've seen on Head-Fi) how does the resolving Yggy work with the resolving Utopia.

Sep 13, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #3,184 of 12,398
  I've heard from long time Jggy owners that after a while it only takes about 24hrs to return to peak SQ again.

I don't know how much time yours has accumulated but the return to sonic nirvana can be much less than you might think.

JJ

Maybe I should have bought the Jggy instead of the Yggy 
smile.gif

I've had Yggy for almost a yr.

Respectfully, music appreciation is so intricately related to mood
that I don't absolutely trust my ears.........then factor in the
vagaries of music memory, is todays enjoyment objectively
superior to yesterdays, last weeks, last months, and things
get complicated.  Whatever, without strong conviction my
Yggy enjoyment factor seems to increase and then plateau
somewhere in the vicinity of 3 wks+ of continual uninterupted
burn-in .

gad-

Sep 15, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #3,186 of 12,398
  Late to the game here.  How does this compare to the Wyred4Sound DAC 2 DSDe?  

With 2,000 posts, you've been around long enough to learn how to use the search function.

Would love to read some in-depth impressions of Yggy vs. Gungnir multibit.

I've read some comments where upgraders stated that the difference was significant.  Having listened to a number of high-end DACs over the years, I find that hard to believe, as I usually find the differences to be thin and subtle, in most cases (except where one of the DACs in the comparison just sucks).

With five posts, welcome to the forum and please learn how to use the search function. A nickname for the gungnir multibit is "gumby."

Sep 15, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #3,187 of 12,398

I've read some comments where upgraders stated that the difference was significant.  Having listened to a number of high-end DACs over the years, I find that hard to believe, as I usually find the differences to be thin and subtle, in most cases (except where one of the DACs in the comparison just sucks).

The Search Function is definitely your friend on here. Lots of info can be dug up. That said, there are a lot of wildly different opinions out there. They'll range from people preferring the gumby over yggy in blind listening tests, to the yggy being vastly superior. It's confusing, and it all comes down to our own ears, and of course, what other equipment we're going to use with each DAC, IMO. Heck just yesterday I was reading about the modi multibit (mimby) having a lot of yggy's characteristics. Good luck in your search!

Sep 16, 2016 at 1:39 AM Post #3,190 of 12,398
Sep 18, 2016 at 2:16 AM Post #3,192 of 12,398
Hoping someone can help answer this nagging question.
I have had my yggy for 1 month now and use Sonos to send it stream music to the yggy.

Would it make any SQ improvement to get the Sonos Cullen modification that reduces the jifter before it is sent to the ygg?

There is also a the Empirical Audio product called Syncro-Mesh that does asynchronous sample rate conversion to reduce jitter. Is this something the yggy already does when it receives a data stream? So this would not be any value to put between a Stock Sonos and the yggy?

Sep 18, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #3,193 of 12,398

Since Schiit's target was to focus on redbook and make it sound more alive (my take), the implementation of mutlibit by them makes the analog signal being created from redbook digital to be more realistic. (Again, my take)

I think they succeeded and that is why you see allot of comments on MB being more musical. It sounds more analog. I'm old enough to have gone from vinyl to CD, and thats why we see many still using vinyl, something got lost in the move to redbook.

When I moved from bifrost to gumby and then to yggy, it had different levels of impact.

Bifrost to Gumby was huge. More detail, better sounding. More alive. I never thought redbook could sound that good. It sounded more analog.

What drove me to Yggy was not that Gumby sounded bad, it's what MB brought to the table. I was hearing more of the detail and instruments. With Gumby, it was like hearing my library new, and for the first time, and I wanted to hear more of that effect if it was there to be found.

Yggy does that, it just reveals more detail. Multi-layers of vocals can be found in the background, cymbals sounding like cymbals, and the accoustical ambient sounds that got lost in the back ground are now there. It's those little subtle sounds that brings realism.

It is not a huge amount, but it is there. Some need it, some don't. Some hear it, some don't.

I do, on both counts.

Sep 18, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #3,194 of 12,398

Since Schiit's target was to focus on redbook and make it sound more alive (my take), the implementation of mutlibit by them makes the analog signal being created from redbook digital to be more realistic. (Again, my take)

I think they succeeded and that is why you see allot of comments on MB being more musical. It sounds more analog. I'm old enough to have gone from vinyl to CD, and thats why we see many still using vinyl, something got lost in the move to redbook.

When I moved from bifrost to gumby and then to yggy, it had different levels of impact.

Bifrost to Gumby was huge. More detail, better sounding. More alive. I never thought redbook could sound that good. It sounded more analog.

What drove me to Yggy was not that Gumby sounded bad, it's what MB brought to the table. I was hearing more of the detail and instruments. With Gumby, it was like hearing my library new, and for the first time, and I wanted to hear more of that effect if it was there to be found.

Yggy does that, it just reveals more detail. Multi-layers of vocals can be found in the background, cymbals sounding like cymbals, and the accoustical ambient sounds that got lost in the back ground are now there. It's those little subtle sounds that brings realism.

It is not a huge amount, but it is there. Some need it, some don't. Some hear it, some don't.

I do, on both counts.

Out of curiosity, which input do you use on the DACs?

I've seen it suggested elsewhere that you will hear a bigger difference between Yggdrasil and Gumby with USB inputs because the Yggdrasil uses a better a USB implementation, but that with a high quality SPDIF signal the difference becomes quite small.

I'm curious about that because I don't use USB on my DACs, I have an Audiophilleo 1 that takes care of the conversion from USB to SPDIF.

Sep 18, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #3,195 of 12,398

Out of curiosity, which input do you use on the DACs?

I've seen it suggested elsewhere that you will hear a bigger difference between Yggdrasil and Gumby with USB inputs because the Yggdrasil uses a better a USB implementation, but that with a high quality SPDIF signal the difference becomes quite small.

I'm curious about that because I don't use USB on my DACs, I have an Audiophilleo 1 that takes care of the conversion from USB to SPDIF.

USB. I ripped all my CD's to FLAC, and they are all on my tower PC. I mounted a USB card to move the USB away from my motherboard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back