Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Sep 30, 2016 at 12:04 AM Post #3,226 of 12,302

Which Stax are you gonna drive with KGSSHV?  Currently, I got Yggy > Carbon > 009 = full bliss.   

I only have the L700, might upgrade eventually to an 009 or 007 but for now it'll do. My setup right now is kind of weird, SRD7 + Master9 + L700. It works pretty well though lol.

Sep 30, 2016 at 2:42 AM Post #3,228 of 12,302
I recently had a chance to listen to the Yggdrasil, and it was quite the experience. Aside from the obvious super-detail and amazing lows, mids, and highs, there was something else that I couldn't really describe. I think it is perhaps the perfect confluence of what are know as "holographic imaging/soundstage" and "weight."  I don't know the technical ins and outs of the SuperComboBurrito Filter, but it tastes GOOD. I listened on HD 800s and my usual setup is a Furutech ADL Esprit DAC/Amp.

Sep 30, 2016 at 7:10 AM Post #3,229 of 12,302
  I recently had a chance to listen to the Yggdrasil, and it was quite the experience. Aside from the obvious super-detail and amazing lows, mids, and highs, there was something else that I couldn't really describe. I think it is perhaps the perfect confluence of what are know as "holographic imaging/soundstage" and "weight."  I don't know the technical ins and outs of the SuperComboBurrito Filter, but it tastes GOOD. I listened on HD 800s and my usual setup is a Furutech ADL Esprit DAC/Amp.

What amp did you use for the experience?

Sep 30, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #3,230 of 12,302
Adapticlock and USB Gen 3: Advanced Input Optimization
Yggdrasil accepts up to 5 digital inputs and carefully manages them with our Adapticlock™ clock regeneration system. Adapticlock is the most sophisticated clock management system in the world. It assesses the quality of all inputs, measures their incoming center frequency and jitter, and automatically routes the input to the best clock regeneration system. 

Wait, Does this mean that I don't have do figure out which is better, optical, coax, usb, just plug them all in and it figures it out for me?

I think that's what it means but it would be neat to have someone way smarter than I confirm this 
redface.gif

Sep 30, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #3,231 of 12,302
Wait, Does this mean that I don't have do figure out which is better, optical, coax, usb, just plug them all in and it figures it out for me?

I think that's what it means but it would be neat to have someone way smarter than I confirm this :xf_eek:
No, you still need to select the input of your choice. This just means it has 5 connection points and then routes which ever one you have selected on the unit through what it calculates to be the best clock.

Sep 30, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #3,232 of 12,302
No, you still need to select the input of your choice. This just means it has 5 connection points and then routes which ever one you have selected on the unit through what it calculates to be the best clock.

I thought so but it's the phrase "accepts up to 5 inputs" that caused my pause...hmm...still does.

Sep 30, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #3,233 of 12,302
Just wanted to get some input, my current set up is LCD 2.1, q-cables, pathos aurium, I really like the russian and tele tubes in them, and looking for a dac that would fit the best with tube rolling. After reading a bunch it seems that the yggy would be a good mix with its super detail being smoothed out by the headphones and amp. I also use the amp as a preamp to feed my genelecs 8351.  I am picking between the gumby and yggy.

Sep 30, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #3,234 of 12,302

I've heard the Yggy paired with the Schiit Ragnarok and Woo 5 amps, and both those rigs were exceptional with the HD800.  Super detailed SQ and effortless, full driving of the HD800.  This was at the Nashville meet a couple years ago when Dan Clark was there with his equipment (and the original Ethers).

Sep 30, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #3,235 of 12,302

What amp did you use for the experience?

I used a Ragnarok for my listening.

I've heard the Yggy paired with the Schiit Ragnarok and Woo 5 amps, and both those rigs were exceptional with the HD800.  Super detailed SQ and effortless, full driving of the HD800.  This was at the Nashville meet a couple years ago when Dan Clark was there with his equipment (and the original Ethers).

The Ygg/Rag combination really does sound great together. I'm sure those Woo amps must have paired very well too. If I had been to see my friend a couple weeks earlier, I would have been able to hear the Yggdrasil with the WA22.

Sep 30, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #3,236 of 12,302

I think that's what it means but it would be neat to have someone way smarter than I confirm this 
redface.gif

I sent a similar question to Nick T at Schiit, because I am using the Audiophilleo AP2 + PP USB/SPDIF interface system which does not allow me to use the USB input on the Yggy, and this was his response :

"It is entirely system dependent. We don't speculate on which input will be best in your system. In theory they should all perform the same. http://schiit.com/about/principles

It would be best to compare them yourself."

i.e.  It is not just the listener's preferences or choices, but also the synergy of the entire system of components in which the Yggy is deployed that determine the quality of sound and performance one gets from any of those inputs.  It does make sense to me, but it is also somewhat frustrating not to get a straightforward answer, even if Nick T is right.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 30, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #3,237 of 12,302
I was thinking my computer outputs both at once, when it doesn't. So, though a potentially interesting topic it is neither here nor there to me.

Sep 30, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #3,238 of 12,302

I used a Ragnarok for my listening.
The Ygg/Rag combination really does sound great together. I'm sure those Woo amps must have paired very well too. If I had been to see my friend a couple weeks earlier, I would have been able to hear the Yggdrasil with the WA22.

Man, the WA5 is just a super-sublime beast of an amp.  Expensive, related to the Ragnarok, but it's got that nice Woo Audio SQ.

Oct 1, 2016 at 12:39 AM Post #3,239 of 12,302
  Man, the WA5 is just a super-sublime beast of an amp.  Expensive, related to the Ragnarok, but it's got that nice Woo Audio SQ.

That's what I'm running right now. Great combo! Also demo the Violectric V281. A lot of people who love their WA22s really like the V281. Between the WA5 and the V281 I spend more time on the WA5. Replacing my Mytek with the Yggy was huge. I'm so glad I took the leap. Better detail, fixed some of the treble harshness and fatigue I had, stuff sounded more real and natural.

Oct 1, 2016 at 6:29 AM Post #3,240 of 12,302
  I own both the M7 / Yggdrasil. 

I actually find the M7 quite a bit brighter than my Yggy with stax. 

When I A/B the two dacs, I used a Kgsshv Carbon + Sr-009.
I was using DI-2014 HDMI I2S to feed the M7, and standard USB gen3 to feed the Yggdrasil. 

The M7 was so bright when using the Sr-009, it's actually fatiguing to listen to. On the other side, the Yggy has a more rounded sound (in my comparison). The yggy is 100% the better match for me, in my chain. 

Although, like most I wouldn't consider the M7 bright. I used it with my HD800 for a long time, and always found the M7 more liquid, velvety, then my other Delta-Sigma dacs.
It's so hard to just say X v.s. Y in the DAC realm. There is the amp/headphone to consider. There is all the offboard junk when using a DAC to consider (I know some people spend more on offboard equipment then the actual $2k dac). 

Interesting. My yggy is comming soon, just ordered.

I have similar setup: I use the M7 with Mjolnir Carbon (and SR-009). But I have a MBL 5011 preamp between them and I prefer it that way. I like the synergy really much... For M7, you need a great digital transport. I use modded A-GD DI-U8 HDMI I2S (fed by JCAT USB Femto card and Intona isolator). I ordered the Yggy because I would like to judge the DAC by my own ears... It will be interesting to compare the M7 and Yggy at home.

BTW/IMHO: The brightness of M7 differs per input (BNC vs. IS2) and transport.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back