Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Oct 1, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #3,241 of 12,304

BTW/IMHO: The brightness of M7 differs per input (BNC vs. IS2) and transport.

I used it I2S for the first few months, and swapped over to BNC. I'll have to go back to I2S and see if I can tell a difference.
I have the upgraded TXCO clock in my DI-2014, I believe it's good enough as far as transports go.

I'm sure the MBL 5011 really changes the game too. I've never personally been a fan of active preamps, not say they can't be great.
I used this in my Carbon/009 chain. I'm kind of a purist, so introducing an active element between the dac/amp isn't my thing. ymmv

For me, the Yggy warmed up the 009 enough to be pleasant, I'm sure that's what the MBL is doing in your scenario.
When you get the yggy, try the chain with and without the MBL, let me know what you think. 

Oct 1, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #3,242 of 12,304
Gonna finally hear the Yggdrasil on Tuesday! Very excited. Bringing my Jotunheim and he has a Black Widow, Ragnarok, Mainline, Speedballed Bottlehead Crack as well, all of which I'll be hearing for the first time. He also has HD800 and 800S...I've heard the 800 but just through Modi 2/Asgard 2.

Oct 4, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #3,243 of 12,304
Gonna finally hear the Yggdrasil on Tuesday! Very excited. Bringing my Jotunheim and he has a Black Widow, Ragnarok, Mainline, Speedballed Bottlehead Crack as well, all of which I'll be hearing for the first time. He also has HD800 and 800S...I've heard the 800 but just through Modi 2/Asgard 2.

L3000.gif

popcorn.gif

Oct 4, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #3,244 of 12,304
There are 3-4 used ones for sale on the interweb 
L3000.gif

I guess some people just don't get/like it.

Oct 4, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #3,245 of 12,304
There are 3-4 used ones for sale on the interweb :L3000:

I guess some people just don't get/like it.

Some upgraded to Esoteric DACs with custom FPGA implementation or some prefer DSD

Oct 4, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #3,246 of 12,304

I'll repost from what I wrote in the Mimby thread:

Today I had the pleasure of hearing the Yggdrasil. While I did not have my Mimby on hand to directly A/B compare, I was able to get a very clear idea of the differences after several hours with the Yggy.

The gentleman had several amps on deck (Black Widow, Ragnarok, Bottle Crack+Speedball, Bottlehead Mainline), I listened mostly through my Jotunheim.

First off it must be said that what Schiit has achieved with the Mimby is nothing short of astonishing. A $250 DAC that has 90% of the performance of the now legendary (and much larger in size) $2,200 Yggdrasil. It made me appreciate just how special and game changing the Mimby is.

Yes, the two DACs are remarkably close in performance. The biggest difference I'd say is that Yggy has a meatier sound to it. It has more meat on the bones so to speak. I also realized how dead neutral Mimby is. Yggy sounded ever so slightly warmer. That warmth makes Yggy a bit more engaging and more euphonic.

On the subtler side of things, Yggy has a bit more resolution and detail but its a subtle difference. There is a bit more "snap" and pizazz to Yggy. Yggy also has a bit better sound stage presentation and placement of instruments/voices. These differences are so subtle, they are almost trivial and work in Mimby's favor since it is only $250.

Yggy had a bit better bass and slam factor as well, but again, subtle.

I would almost tell people who are thinking about getting a Yggy to get a Mimnby instead and put the money they saved toward a much better headphone (Focal Utopia?) because it will make a much bigger difference.

But anyone who already owns a Yggy should rest comfortably in the knowledge they have an AMAZING DAC in their collection. Yggy was very very impressive.

Oct 4, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #3,247 of 12,304
Thanks for the confirmation. I haven't heard (or seen) a Modi but I did upgrade to Yggy from Bimby which is supposed to basically be the same as Mimby. 
I feel your description is quite accurate, as it's hard at first to hear the difference from Bimby to Yggy, but it is there. And it gets better when you are balanced from Yggy to the amp. 

Oct 4, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #3,248 of 12,304
I'll repost from what I wrote in the Mimby thread:

Today I had the pleasure of hearing the Yggdrasil. While I did not have my Mimby on hand to directly A/B compare, I was able to get a very clear idea of the differences after several hours with the Yggy.

The gentleman had several amps on deck (Black Widow, Ragnarok, Bottle Crack+Speedball, Bottlehead Mainline), I listened mostly through my Jotunheim.

First off it must be said that what Schiit has achieved with the Mimby is nothing short of astonishing. A $250 DAC that has 90% of the performance of the now legendary (and much larger in size) $2,200 Yggdrasil. It made me appreciate just how special and game changing the Mimby is.

Yes, the two DACs are remarkably close in performance. The biggest difference I'd say is that Yggy has a meatier sound to it. It has more meat on the bones so to speak. I also realized how dead neutral Mimby is. Yggy sounded ever so slightly warmer. That warmth makes Yggy a bit more engaging and more euphonic.

On the subtler side of things, Yggy has a bit more resolution and detail but its a subtle difference. There is a bit more "snap" and pizazz to Yggy. Yggy also has a bit better sound stage presentation and placement of instruments/voices. These differences are so subtle, they are almost trivial and work in Mimby's favor since it is only $250.

Yggy had a bit better bass and slam factor as well, but again, subtle.

I would almost tell people who are thinking about getting a Yggy to get a Mimnby instead and put the money they saved toward a much better headphone (Focal Utopia?) because it will make a much bigger difference.

But anyone who already owns a Yggy should rest comfortably in the knowledge they have an AMAZING DAC in their collection. Yggy was very very impressive.

What phones did you use?

Oct 4, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #3,252 of 12,304
Not a big fan of the 560's either I like the 500's more.

Oct 5, 2016 at 3:51 AM Post #3,253 of 12,304

So, just to be clear, this 'comparison' to the Yggdrasil is based on your memory of the Modi's sound in your system - rather than switching between them in the same system/setting?
Since differences between DACs are, generally, of a subtle nature I'm not sure one can draw strong conclusions from this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back