Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Sep 20, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #3,196 of 12,236

I need some help.

I'm trying to run my Sony ZX2 DAP through my Yggdrasil DAC. 

This is how I've connected it:

I'm going out of the ZX2 with a Digital Out conversion cable which I bought from Japan (see below):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FF086HE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I then attach a USB A to USB B cable -- from the end of the Digital Out conversion cable into a Schiit Wyrd Decrappifier (which is really just a fancy USB HUB).

From there I go USB into the Yggy.

I play the ZX2.

But the Yggy doesn't recognize it.

Any ideas?

Nick  said the Iggy would work with most OTG adapters when used with a powered hub (which is what the Wyrd is).

Thanks / Marty

Sep 22, 2016 at 1:47 AM Post #3,198 of 12,236
I've recently learned how well sensitive audio components respond to different power cords. For example, my already outstanding Job 225 amplifier got better in every way with the addition of a Fusion Audio Magic power cord. An expensive but well worthwhile investment.

Although the Schitt Yggy manual suggests there is nothing to be gained by upgrading from the cheap stock power cord (kind of a "if you feel the need, go ahead and waste your money" attitude) it seems to me such an excellent dac will benefit from after market power cords. Can anyone report good results?

Sep 22, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #3,199 of 12,236
  I've recently learned how well sensitive audio components respond to different power cords. For example, my already outstanding Job 225 amplifier got better in every way with the addition of a Fusion Audio Magic power cord. An expensive but well worthwhile investment.

Although the Schitt Yggy manual suggests there is nothing to be gained by upgrading from the cheap stock power cord (kind of a "if you feel the need, go ahead and waste your money" attitude) it seems to me such an excellent dac will benefit from after market power cords. Can anyone report good results?

Definitely. Power supply and power cords make significant and audible differences in audio. I have experimented with a few power cords with excellent results on the Yiggy.

I've settled on one which unfortunately costs almost as much as the Yiggy but is the perfect cord for the Yiggy IMO and well worth the improvements to me. There will always be naysayers and sceptics on this topic but if anyone is keen, PM me for details.   

Sep 22, 2016 at 2:33 AM Post #3,200 of 12,236
I have conducted tests and posted results about this very issue here on headfi.

Yes power cables CAN make a difference but they alone may or may not be the largest limiting factor in terms of attaining 'Better' SQ.

But once the primary Choke Point(s) (CP) is/are ameliorated, then power cables and other tweaks can become another means of attaining 'Better' SQ.

JJ

Sep 22, 2016 at 4:29 AM Post #3,201 of 12,236

I asked this just the other day from a engineering friend and he said that the main thing is that the cable needs to be able to supply the power to the unit and not be a limiting factor (high resistance, small diameter, etc). I don't have experience with cable swapping the Yggdrasill but I wouldn't look to far beyond the standard cable.

I can't find the thread but have a read of this: http://gizmodo.com/371536/300-audiophile-grade-power-cable-is-really-worth-15 Stories like that make me very sceptical something really happens and it's not just psychoaccoustiscs at work. And who in their right mind would cut up a 300 dollar (or more) cable just to see its worth the money?

Sep 22, 2016 at 5:04 AM Post #3,202 of 12,236
As a point of contrast one of my reference cables cost me ≈ $40 in materials.

But there were other processes applied as well, so the total cost is ≈ $100.

They don't HAVE to be expensive but there may be other factors at play that also may need to be dealt with, in order to fully realize what a 'better' cable can provide.

JJ

Sep 22, 2016 at 5:27 AM Post #3,203 of 12,236
As a point of contrast one of my reference cables cost me ≈ $40 in materials.

But there were other processes applied as well, so the total cost is ≈ $100.

They don't HAVE to be expensive but there may be other factors at play that also may need to be dealt with, in order to fully realize what a 'better' cable can provide.

JJ

Fair enough! Do you have a shareable recipe for your cable?

Sep 22, 2016 at 5:56 AM Post #3,204 of 12,236
I started with a Bottlehead ac power cable kit.
http://bottlehead.com/?product=bottlehead-power-cord-kit

And then built several more using 'better' materials (all copper TFFN wire and chinese (knock-off/2nds) rhodium plated connectors).
These were the ≈$40 in material cables that I mentioned previously.

But this portion of my experiments happened AFTER I replaced my duplex receptacle with a cryo treated and cooked, low cost (not a name brand) receptacle.

And like I stated, "there may be other factors at play" such as the receptacle or perhaps a 'weak' branch circuit as I showed in my posts dealing with this subject.

JJ

Sep 22, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #3,205 of 12,236
Out of curiosity, which input do you use on the DACs?

I've seen it suggested elsewhere that you will hear a bigger difference between Yggdrasil and Gumby with USB inputs because the Yggdrasil uses a better a USB implementation, but that with a high quality SPDIF signal the difference becomes quite small.

I'm curious about that because I don't use USB on my DACs, I have an Audiophilleo 1 that takes care of the conversion from USB to SPDIF.

Does that mean going from Gumby to Yggy would not be worth it if you are using SPDIF? Since there is a big difference in price between the two... Anyone can chime in.

Sep 24, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #3,208 of 12,236
I'm happy to say I'll finally get a chance to demo Yggy at a fellow enthusiasts house (through my Jot/HD650 and T90).

Super excited! I wonder how it will compare to my Mimby. I hear they are very similar in terms of tone.

Sep 24, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #3,210 of 12,236
  How hot does the yggy get?  Does it warm up the room?  Is there a fire hazard leaving it on all the time?

It doesn't get hot at all, just slightly warm on the surface. No appreciable heat added to the room. Definitely not a fire hazard to leave it on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back