Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jul 13, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #2,866 of 12,201
  What is happening is that the amp you have XLR connected to is shorting the XLR input when it is switched off or not selected. This is commonly done with amps to prevent sound from other sources leaking in when not in use. Unfortunately the Yggy doesn't like it. 

To avoid situations like this, can one just use both RCA outputs rather than the XLR and RCA outs to avoid the "Shorting"?

I ask becuase with my Gumby, I utilize both outputs (XLR and RCA) and I experience a similar issue with a receiver in another room (connected via RCA) shorting the signal.

Jul 13, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #2,867 of 12,201

atomicbob's comments on multibit (vs D-S: Oppo HA-1 in my case) are spot on. Every now and then when listening to Yggy I'll be lost in the music and suddenly hear some noise that makes me take off the phones to see if it occurred in my home. I then go replay the passage and note that it's a page on a music stand being turned, a player shifting their position in their chair, a door somewhere at the recording site being closed. That's some spooky good resolving capabilities. And this is with recordings on CD I've been listening to since the early 80's (many of which I owned on vinyl before then).

That's really good stuff! Exactly why I want a Yggy! Too bad there isn't a blog or something, where people could post sounds they heard like you've described, in which recordings, what sound it is, and at what time in the recording it occurred.

Jul 13, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #2,868 of 12,201
  OK I got it to work.  I don't know what happened.  Now I have RCA going to M11, RCA going to Glenn, XLR going to V281.  The only thing I did differently was to connect the RCA first, then XLR, then the other RCA.  I'll try XLR first again later.

Thanks for all the help, sorry for the rant at the beginning. 

Photo to makeup :)

Quite the setup you have there.

How are you liking the Yggy so far compared to the Audio-gd Master-11 & LH Labs Vi DAC Infinity?

Jul 15, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #2,870 of 12,201
  Anyone receive a Yggy recently.  Ordered on June 5 where it was noted on the website a 3 week lead time.  Still no indication it will be shipping soon.

I ordered mine (silver finish / new) back on 5/31/16, it shipped on 6/2/16, and I got it on 6/8/16.

Jul 15, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #2,872 of 12,201
Jul 16, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #2,873 of 12,201

Yggy squeezebox touch edo usb problem:

Squeezebox touch edo no longer recognizes Yggy dac usb 3
after turning Yggy off for the  night due to a brief power
outage.  I am still able to use edo via coax, but the usb 3
option no longer displays.  I have reinstalled EDO, turned
off and restarted, unplugged and replugged, nada.
The dac and sbt were both plugged into surge protection.
Any thoughts?

thanks,

gad-

Jul 16, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #2,874 of 12,201
If anyone is using the Yggy with an Audiophilleo 2 and PP, could you kindly provide a few brief impressions about the pairing?  Thanks.

Jul 16, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #2,875 of 12,201
  If anyone is using the Yggy with an Audiophilleo 2 and PP, could you kindly provide a few brief impressions about the pairing?  Thanks.

I am, and it's way better sounding than my iMac directly into the Yggy USB. The latter is a bit bright and strident, as well as sightly anemic in bass. The AP2 w/ Yggy pairing fixes that; it's extremely neutral with a great balance across the board; extremely musical. Some may subjectively find the direct Yggy USB to be slightly more detailed and with better imaging/soundstage, but I think that may largely be an artifact of the brighter tonal balance (e.g. may be mostly perceived detail increase from the enhanced upper frequencies and subdued bass rather than actual resolution), which I can't tolerate anyways. 

I'm not fully convinced that the benefits here are due to the AP2/PP itself, versus the coax input on Yggy just being better than USB. I say that because the AP2/PP unit was kind of a tossup when used on the Eximus DP1 and NAD M51 -- and in fact with the M51, the direct USB input was actually warmer and more musical than the AP2/PP, while the AP2/PP was more detailed. The Eximus DP1 didn't change much either way with or without the AP2/PP. But on the Yggy, the differences are much more significant. Unfortunately I haven't tried another coax source on the Yggy to try and parse out where to attribute the improvement.

I was going to sell the AP2/PP before I tried it on the Yggy. And given what people were saying about the Yggy Gen 3 USB at the time (i.e. that it was really good), I was very surprised at my listening results.

Jul 16, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #2,876 of 12,201
  I am, and it's way better sounding than my iMac directly into the Yggy USB. The latter is a bit bright and strident, as well as sightly anemic in bass. The AP2 w/ Yggy pairing fixes that; it's extremely neutral with a great balance across the board; extremely musical. Some may subjectively find the direct Yggy USB to be slightly more detailed and with better imaging/soundstage, but I think that may largely be an artifact of the brighter tonal balance (e.g. may be mostly perceived detail increase from the enhanced upper frequencies and subdued bass rather than actual resolution), which I can't tolerate anyways. 

I'm not fully convinced that the benefits here are due to the AP2/PP itself, versus the coax input on Yggy just being better than USB. I say that because the AP2/PP unit was kind of a tossup when used on the Eximus DP1 and NAD M51 -- and in fact with the M51, the direct USB input was actually warmer and more musical than the AP2/PP, while the AP2/PP was more detailed. The Eximus DP1 didn't change much either way with or without the AP2/PP. But on the Yggy, the differences are much more significant. Unfortunately I haven't tried another coax source on the Yggy to try and parse out where to attribute the improvement.

I was going to sell the AP2/PP before I tried it on the Yggy. And given what people were saying about the Yggy Gen 3 USB at the time (i.e. that it was really good), I was very surprised at my listening results.

Thanks for those helpful thoughts.

Jul 17, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #2,877 of 12,201

Yggy squeezebox touch edo usb problem:

Squeezebox touch edo no longer recognizes Yggy dac usb 3
after turning Yggy off for the  night due to a brief power
outage.  I am still able to use edo via coax, but the usb 3
option no longer displays.  I have reinstalled EDO, turned
off and restarted, unplugged and replugged, nada.
The dac and sbt were both plugged into surge protection.
Any thoughts?

thanks,

gad-

The Yggy has to be on and plugged into the SBT USB port before you boot the SBT, EDO is rather flaky in that respect, happens every now and then when power cycled.

I stopped using SBT + EDO after the Raspberry Pi came out, with the PicorePlayer software the RPi is recognized as a Squeezebox by LMS.
The player app in PicorePlayer is written by the same person who did the EDO for the SBT.

Jul 18, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #2,878 of 12,201
I have owned my yggy for about 4-5 months now and I agree with the basic assessment.  It is supremely detailed while not being bright.  It is super transparent and squeaky clean sounding as well.  Lastly, unlike many reports of dacs with great detail- it is not thin at all.  The weight is very realistic.

I do remain however left with one problem.  Even though technically the yggy is the best dac I ever heard and may ever hear, to my ears it is sterile/clinical sounding and it is just not the type of sound I want.  Just NOT pleasing to my ears at all in spite of it's technical superiority. I am not saying I want syrup as I do like detail, just detail presented in a more analogue, rounded, euphonic way.  

For those with experience using other inputs besides USB, do these inputs analogue-ise the sound any more or does the unit retain it's clinical presentation?

If it retains it's clinical presentation even by changing the input, does anyone have any ideas for a dac in the $2,000 range that has the flavor I seek?  I was considering the Monarchy NM24 or the Audio-gd NOS-7.

Jul 18, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #2,879 of 12,201
Keep the YGGY, and ditch your amp for something better......   
wink_face.gif

Jul 18, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #2,880 of 12,201
  I have owned my yggy for about 4-5 months now and I agree with the basic assessment.  It is supremely detailed while not being bright.  It is super transparent and squeaky clean sounding as well.  Lastly, unlike many reports of dacs with great detail- it is not thin at all.  The weight is very realistic.

I do remain however left with one problem.  Even though technically the yggy is the best dac I ever heard and may ever hear, to my ears it is  and it is just not the type of sound I want.  Just NOT pleasing to my ears at all in spite of it's technical superiority. I am not saying I want syrup as I like detail, just detail presented in a more analogue, rounded, euphonic way.  

For those with experience using other inputs besides USB, do these inputs analogue-ise the sound any more or does the unit retain it's clinical presentation?

If it retains it's clinical presentation even by changing the input, does anyone have any ideas for a dac in the $2,000 range that has the flavor I seek?  I was considering the Monarchy NM24 or the Audio-gd NOS-7.

I agree with everything you say but the "sterile/clinical sounding" aspect. I am CD's only and use balanced cabling from the CD transport thru Yggy to the MJ2 (tubed) balanced HP output, I just put my HD600's down a minute ago after a critical listening session with my 2, go to CD's for this sort of evaluation. I spent the weekend burning in a new pair of Interconnects between my Yggy and MJ2 with a test signal supposed to do just that. 50 hours of burn in and the sound far exceeds what I expected, no more burn in needed as far as I'm concerned. I don't and most likely won't get involved with any downloadable content, I keep reading about all the extra hardware one needs to throw in to back it up, install a a program to be able to download it in the first place, hardware to "purify" the noise (or whatever), etc. with the USB format.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the 2 most important pieces of any system are the source and transducer. They will account for 80 or maybe 90% of what I ultimately hear.

The Yggy's one shortcoming to my way of thinking, is the need to keep it idling to maintain thermal stability and sound quality. Makes tucking it under one's arm and toting it somewhere to connect it to toslink, coax, or AES/EBU out of a CD transport an exercise in frustration.

I would certainly try something other than USB if I felt like you do. I've had a listen to Senn HD800 with only USB available and a very expensive (as in prices never listed) headphone amp at a dealership. Simply awful!!! I have a pair of HD800 coming in tomorrow or the next day for a week of auditioning on my system. I am anxious to hear what they really sound like with CD's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back