Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jul 12, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #2,851 of 12,334
Are both on at the same time? I have xlr connected to M11, and RCA going to Glenn 300B. I used to have the XLR going to V281, same thing. Strange.

Yep, both are on at the same time (at least right now ... I don't usually run it that way, just fired them both up together to test for you).

Only thing I can think of is that the Glenn 300B has something unusual with it's input impedance (since both XLR connections resulted in the same thing).

Jul 12, 2016 at 11:24 PM Post #2,852 of 12,334

FWIW I am plugged in a similar manner, Yggy XLR out to V281 and RCA out to my WA5. I'm usually listening at 9-10-11 o'clock on the WA5.

Yep, I'm between 9 and 11 on the WA5-LE (its a Mk2) as well.

That's on high output, low-impedance, high level, feeding my Abyss via the front panel XLR.

Similar position with appropriate settings for my LCD-4 and HD800S also.

Jul 12, 2016 at 11:49 PM Post #2,853 of 12,334
OK I got it to work.  I don't know what happened.  Now I have RCA going to M11, RCA going to Glenn, XLR going to V281.  The only thing I did differently was to connect the RCA first, then XLR, then the other RCA.  I'll try XLR first again later.

Thanks for all the help, sorry for the rant at the beginning. 

Photo to makeup :)

Jul 13, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #2,854 of 12,334
  OK I got it to work.  I don't know what happened.  Now I have RCA going to M11, RCA going to Glenn, XLR going to V281.  The only thing I did differently was to connect the RCA first, then XLR, then the other RCA.  I'll try XLR first again later.

Thanks for all the help, sorry for the rant at the beginning. 

As long as it's working, it's all good.

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.  As you've probably gleaned from my "Life after Yggdrasil?" thread, I've found Yggdrasil to be a very tough act to follow.

Jul 13, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #2,855 of 12,334
Look like there's some sort of mismatch between M11 XLR input and Yggy output, that's the combo that cause all this head ache.  I'll use RCA for M11 from now on.

Jul 13, 2016 at 1:30 AM Post #2,856 of 12,334
What is happening is that the amp you have XLR connected to is shorting the XLR input when it is switched off or not selected. This is commonly done with amps to prevent sound from other sources leaking in when not in use. Unfortunately the Yggy doesn't like it. 

Jul 13, 2016 at 1:51 AM Post #2,857 of 12,334
Most line level devices don't work well when running into a dead short.
And if all that's happening is lowered output and not really poor SQ, this is a testament to the output capability of the Jggy.

JJ

Jul 13, 2016 at 2:49 AM Post #2,858 of 12,334
I heard an Yggy last weekend for quite some time, and while it was extremely resolving (especially with speakers), I'm not sure it's enough of an upgrade from my bifrost multibit to justify the expense. Frankly upgrading to Tidal has been the biggest and most important change.

Jul 13, 2016 at 3:22 AM Post #2,860 of 12,334
  What is happening is that the amp you have XLR connected to is shorting the XLR input when it is switched off or not selected. This is commonly done with amps to prevent sound from other sources leaking in when not in use. Unfortunately the Yggy doesn't like it. 

Thanks Currawong, I figured as much, because even with RCA I can't get Yggy to play nice with M11, it would cause Yggy to mute out the RCA out when the the input is not selected.  Will have to A/B the good old way by replace the cables.

Jul 13, 2016 at 4:11 AM Post #2,861 of 12,334

the 

What amp and transducers were you using?

Stax 727/SR009, some 5k solid state speaker amp from a company called 'sanders' for HE-6 and then some speakers by Evolution acoustics—I'm sorry, I didn't get the specific product info. I underline that they were the most resolving headphones and speakers I've yet heard, but while the speakers' cost might be justified, I'm not sure whether the amp and dac are. Though I get that changing multiple variables basically voids claims of having any rigor, so by all means, disregard.

Jul 13, 2016 at 4:17 AM Post #2,862 of 12,334
  I heard an Yggy last weekend for quite some time, and while it was extremely resolving (especially with speakers), I'm not sure it's enough of an upgrade from my bifrost multibit to justify the expense.

I love quoting @atomicbob on this:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/785369/yggdrasil-gungnir-mb-bifrost-mb-a-terse-ribald-comparison

:)

Jul 13, 2016 at 4:20 AM Post #2,863 of 12,334
it's certainly set the bar for comparisons. certainly until i get a much better amp like a WA5 the Yggy seems like overkill.

Jul 13, 2016 at 7:22 AM Post #2,864 of 12,334

I love quoting @atomicbob on this:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/785369/yggdrasil-gungnir-mb-bifrost-mb-a-terse-ribald-comparison

:)

atomicbob's comments on multibit (vs D-S: Oppo HA-1 in my case) are spot on. Every now and then when listening to Yggy I'll be lost in the music and suddenly hear some noise that makes me take off the phones to see if it occurred in my home. I then go replay the passage and note that it's a page on a music stand being turned, a player shifting their position in their chair, a door somewhere at the recording site being closed. That's some spooky good resolving capabilities. And this is with recordings on CD I've been listening to since the early 80's (many of which I owned on vinyl before then).

Jul 13, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #2,865 of 12,334
If you are using the balance and RCA, you will lose output on the RCA. When I am using my headphone amp I have to unplug the balance to my amp to get full output from the yggy. However I do not need to disconnect the RCA to Headphone amp when using my integrated amp, which I run balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back