Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Dec 23, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #1,441 of 12,228
Circumnavigating the Windows-USB morass is very appealing. Is there there music-playing software on the order of JRMC available for linux?

I'm not that familiar with everything JRMC has to offer, but there are certainly plenty of full featured music player options in linux. I've been test driving various programs mentioned in this Dec 2015 article: http://www.tecmint.com/best-linux-audio-music-players/

Dec 24, 2015 at 1:16 AM Post #1,442 of 12,228
Mine just arrived. Sounds pretty good out of the box. The bass reminds me of the first time I listened to Piega's $40k loudspeakers back in the early 90's and experienced what precisely delivered bass sounds like (though nowadays I'd defer to the horns at a local store that took that to another level altogether). Considering the last time I auditioned the Yggy was at CanJam SoCal on a unit which had barely been run in I'm very keen to find out how things sound after a week.

I still had the below as a saved draft reply, so I'll let it re-post because it is worth re-reading, even once a week as a reminder:

Quote:
  I think that every review, impression, or de facto "this product sounds better than that" statement would be made immeasurably better if it was required to have these three disclaimers:

1. This is only my opinion.
2. I am biased, like everyone else.
3. I have not heard everything in the world.

I am personally amused by DACs that cost like cars. There's no problem comparing them to Yggy, but personally I'd rather travel to some spectacular locations in the world, learn something completely new, take a breather and not worry about money for a while, or, hell, spend the money on a car.

But...this is only my opinion, I am biased like everyone else, and I have not heard everything in the world.

Dec 24, 2015 at 6:21 AM Post #1,443 of 12,228

Quote didn't work...hmm. Quick summary of my posts:

1. Yggy sounded great to me, from the minute I opened the box, plugged-in for the very first time, played (single-ended BTW). I thought, meh - people must be crazy to say it takes a while to warm-up. I had also heard the Yggdrasil at a meet, though it was brought to the meet warm by staying plugged into a UPS. It was also warm that day, when Yggdrasil arrived to my home via FedEx, though I've no clue if that mattered either.
  2. It stayed powered on for about 2 months. Then it was powered off for about 2 weeks.
  3. When I powered it back on, ugggh. I could hear what I was missing. I'll also add that it was physically colder for those two weeks, and I'd switched from single-ended to balanced connections. Though I also think those factors did not matter.

In all, I would just summarize as saying - I adjusted to the Yggdrasil sound. Until I'd heard it, at a non-meet condition, I'd no expectation for the sound.

Dec 29, 2015 at 6:09 AM Post #1,444 of 12,228
After taking advice from wink, I now have the Yggy, but before getting that ( IMO ) amazing DAC I auditioned the CH Precision C1, which was with my 009/BHSE.
Now because the C1 sounds so good, I was going to save for one, even though in the UK one costs £20,000, but after hearing the Yggy with both my headphone combos, I no longer have the desire to save for a C1.

Dec 30, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #1,445 of 12,228
Finally set up the Yggy. Out of the box, buttery smooth, no sizzle compared to my Wyred4Sound... if there was any, it was likely from the expectation bias about burn-in after reading some posts on this thread =D

Jan 1, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #1,446 of 12,228
There have been some posts on the Yggy and Gumby comparison.

I was interested in hearing ONLY from those who have heard both- not which is technically better and by how much but rather which one provides music which is more enjoyable.

I need to decide which if either to purchase in the next week or two.

Jan 1, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #1,448 of 12,228
I agree with getting the Yggdrasil, if the funds allow. It's along the same lines as you can always soften, but you cannot sharpen. You can always take off a layer of clothes, but...well, I'm starting to lose the symbolism now.

Yggdrasil is the most direct-to-the-music possible of the entire Schiit lineup of DACs. If that makes sense for you, both in terms of will the rest of your system benefit from the sonics and can it fit in with your financial sense, then run! Do not walk! The Yggdrasil is it!

I find the Gungnir Multibit slightly more relaxed, but still every bit as musical. The Gungnir is also more portable, fits into a smaller setting, can go more easily to the local meets, etc.

::

Musical (take 2) - both Yggdrasil and Gungnir Multibit are musical. You do not lose this in getting more details out from the Yggdrasil. I think that is the concept that is difficult to imagine, due to most detail-oriented devices taking away from the musical nature. The Yggdrasil does not! It gets you even closer to the music. And if you are listening to a talented performer, say Yo Yo Ma on a cello, the Yggdrasil will be more musical. If you are listening to a poorly mixed or recorded track, the Yggdrasil will tell you this - likely making it less musical and more distracting.

This goes back to my statement, can you take advantage of the fidelity of the Yggdrasil? If it makes sense, do it! If it does not, I would actually recommend listening to both the Gungnir Multibit and Bifrost Multibit, because all three DACs are quite musical, at different layers of fidelity.

Jan 2, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #1,449 of 12,228
  I agree with getting the Yggdrasil, if the funds allow. It's along the same lines as you can always soften, but you cannot sharpen. You can always take off a layer of clothes, but...well, I'm starting to lose the symbolism now.

Yggdrasil is the most direct-to-the-music possible of the entire Schiit lineup of DACs. If that makes sense for you, both in terms of will the rest of your system benefit from the sonics and can it fit in with your financial sense, then run! Do not walk! The Yggdrasil is it!

I find the Gungnir Multibit slightly more relaxed, but still every bit as musical. The Gungnir is also more portable, fits into a smaller setting, can go more easily to the local meets, etc.

::

Musical (take 2) - both Yggdrasil and Gungnir Multibit are musical. You do not lose this in getting more details out from the Yggdrasil. I think that is the concept that is difficult to imagine, due to most detail-oriented devices taking away from the musical nature. The Yggdrasil does not! It gets you even closer to the music. And if you are listening to a talented performer, say Yo Yo Ma on a cello, the Yggdrasil will be more musical. If you are listening to a poorly mixed or recorded track, the Yggdrasil will tell you this - likely making it less musical and more distracting.

This goes back to my statement, can you take advantage of the fidelity of the Yggdrasil? If it makes sense, do it! If it does not, I would actually recommend listening to both the Gungnir Multibit and Bifrost Multibit, because all three DACs are quite musical, at different layers of fidelity.

That was my concern about the Yggy.   I do not want to loose musicality for a small amount of detail.  Musicality is more important to me.

Thanks

Jan 5, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #1,450 of 12,228

In an age old dilemma : should I ditch my Chord Hugo for the Yggy ?! 

Jan 5, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #1,453 of 12,228
I find Chord Hugo and Chord QBD76HD limited in soundstage size particularly in soundstage depth, although they are very detailed and articulate

Actually that's my concern also. 

I want a bigger sound stage, but I wonder if I'm limited by the LCD-3 that I'm having ?

Jan 5, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #1,455 of 12,228
i own the yiggy and love it but both the hugo and mojo are outstanding in every way.....the mojo for its price and its size is a wonder

Users who are viewing this thread

Back