Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Dec 23, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #1,427 of 12,235
Does the Yggy come with white pills or you have to buy the pills separately?

Dec 23, 2015 at 2:39 AM Post #1,428 of 12,235
In lieu of pills, magic stickers, mystical fuses, kilobuck isolation feet or consecration in rick schulz's bodily fluids - I recently tried a yggy related mod that actually does something real (read: real good): took Mike's sage advice, got off my ass and installed a copy of elementary linux on an old 64 gig SSD I had lying around as a dual boot option in my desktop.  (Any popular distro will work, but elementary is fun and has a very polished GUI, poaching on Mac OS - https://elementary.io/)

For reference, linux has no trouble reading your windows partitioned drives (not so the other way around), so you don't need to have space for all your flacs on your linux partitions.  I did this as sort of a lark, having last played with linux 8 years ago when I put it on my ps3, but hearing is believing - linux, with its rock solid native usb2 support, does indeed sound much better through yggy's usb input than windows 10 (wasapi or otherwise).  

If you PC guys haven't tried this, I strongly encourage you to give it a go.  Even setting aside the audible improvements, I had forgotten what a great OS this is and am basically a convert.  As an aside, it also works better with my remote login to windows at work than windows does.  Go figure.     

Dec 23, 2015 at 8:25 AM Post #1,430 of 12,235
   linux, with its rock solid native usb2 support, does indeed sound much better through yggy's usb input than windows 10 (wasapi or otherwise).       

If I ever build another music PC, it will probably be daphile, but getting rid of USB altogether is another laudable goal.  Right now the (linux powered) Auralic mini is accomplishing that for me.  I have the Yggy connected to the mini via coax S/PDIF with an inexpensive Blue Jeans cable.  No Wyrd's, Regens with linears, iPurifiers, magic cables, incantations, or drivers,  To quote a certain respected sage, the bananas stay bananas.  I am sure that the golden ear crowd can dis me with the usual list of superlatives that I am leaving on the table, most likely a better sense of air around the instruments, but I'm liking it.

Granted Lightning DS is a cur dog, but... 

Dec 23, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #1,433 of 12,235

linux, with its rock solid native usb2 support, does indeed sound much better through yggy's usb input than windows 10 (wasapi or otherwise).       

If I ever build another music PC, it will probably be daphile, but getting rid of USB altogether is another laudable goal.  Right now the (linux powered) Auralic mini is accomplishing that for me.  I have the Yggy connected to the mini via coax S/PDIF with an inexpensive Blue Jeans cable.  No Wyrd's, Regens with linears, iPurifiers, magic cables, incantations, or drivers,  To quote a certain respected sage, the bananas stay bananas.  I am sure that the golden ear crowd can dis me with the usual list of superlatives that I am leaving on the table, most likely a better sense of air around the instruments, but I'm liking it.

Granted Lightning DS is a cur dog, but... 

No DAC Necessary with Analog Outputs

The Aries Mini shares all existing software and hardware functions of our original popular streaming bridge: ARIES, In addition, The Aries Mini has a pair of high quality analog outputs powered by ESS Sabre DAC chip: ES9018K2M.

It looks like if you're using the analog outputs you're going through the Aries's Saber DAC (ruining the point of the Yggy). I think you need to use USB to bypass it. I could be wrong though (just going off the product description). 
beerchug.gif

Dec 23, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #1,434 of 12,235

It looks like if you're using the analog outputs you're going through the Aries's Saber DAC (ruining the point of the Yggy). I think you need to use USB to bypass it. I could be wrong though (just going off the product description). 
beerchug.gif

I thought he said he is using S/PDIF i.e. digital interface, look at the parts you highlighted :)

Dec 23, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #1,435 of 12,235
  I thought he said he is using S/PDIF i.e. digital interface, look at the parts you highlighted :)

True.  I am not using the analog RCA outputs, I am using the digital coax output as an input to the Yggy.  Optical and coax are the two S/PDIF signals that I can use with this pair.  The mini does not have BNC or AES/EBU outputs.

Dec 23, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #1,438 of 12,235
  In lieu of pills, magic stickers, mystical fuses, kilobuck isolation feet or consecration in rick schulz's bodily fluids - I recently tried a yggy related mod that actually does something real (read: real good): took Mike's sage advice, got off my ass and installed a copy of elementary linux on an old 64 gig SSD I had lying around as a dual boot option in my desktop.  (Any popular distro will work, but elementary is fun and has a very polished GUI, poaching on Mac OS - https://elementary.io/)

For reference, linux has no trouble reading your windows partitioned drives (not so the other way around), so you don't need to have space for all your flacs on your linux partitions.  I did this as sort of a lark, having last played with linux 8 years ago when I put it on my ps3, but hearing is believing - linux, with its rock solid native usb2 support, does indeed sound much better through yggy's usb input than windows 10 (wasapi or otherwise).  

If you PC guys haven't tried this, I strongly encourage you to give it a go.  Even setting aside the audible improvements, I had forgotten what a great OS this is and am basically a convert.  As an aside, it also works better with my remote login to windows at work than windows does.  Go figure.     

Circumnavigating the Windows-USB morass is very appealing. Is there there music-playing software on the order of JRMC available for linux?

Dec 23, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #1,439 of 12,235
  Circumnavigating the Windows-USB morass is very appealing. Is there there music-playing software on the order of JRMC available for linux?

As I mentioned before on some of these threads, I use a $100 CuBox-i2eX with the Volumio Linux distro, which comes with a Web-based interface but it is also controllable with UPnP from any UPnP control point (such as BubbleUPnP on Android). The music-playing portion of Volumio is based on the Linux music player daemon MPD, for which there are several other frontends (http://www.musicpd.org/clients/).

Dec 23, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #1,440 of 12,235

It looks like there is a JMRC for linux according to their site. I don't know anything about linux so I have no idea which versions of linux it works with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back