Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Dec 19, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #1,396 of 12,398
Yes you are correct. The Yggy benefits from being always powered up to maintain thermal stabilization.

People often think - un-huh, burn-in, yeah right. I've heard that phrase before.

With the Yggdrasil, it is more like a thermal stabilization. Mine had been on since October, but off for two weeks of travel immediately following Thanksgiving. I had to start all over again, to wait for the stabilization this past week. I turned it on at midnight (between Saturday and Sunday last weekend) so it should be good, right about now :D

But on a genuinely serious note, give it time to warm-up and stabilize!

Dec 19, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #1,397 of 12,398
To speed up the warm up process,     will these electrical warmers work?
http://www.amazon.com/Cozy-Products-FW-Warmer-Warming/dp/B000079896
http://www.amazon.com/Milliard-Electric-Heated-Warmer-Relieve/dp/B00HSOPEHU

Dec 19, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #1,399 of 12,398
I've had good results setting my Yggy on this:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00233429/

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/blog/ikea_aptitlig.htm

Yggy SQ is better using the stock rubber feet with the bambo cutting board, than using with Herbie's Tenderfoot Isolation feet, IMO.

Thanks mate,
I got stillpoints and they are much better than Herbie's with the Yggy (cost more too!).

I tried the idea block with the stillpoints - haven't made up my mind yet..:

Dec 19, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #1,401 of 12,398
Do you have a model number or such for the StillPoints you are using? Like to take your advise and arrange a demo to try them out.

Stillpoints ultra minis (the cheapest model :wink: - still around £440 for a set of 4...
I got 5 on a loan from my dealer to try, I think I can hear an obvious different between 3 to 4 points, the 5th, I feel doesn't add much

Dec 21, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #1,403 of 12,398
ordered a yggy today... now the wait begins. Hopefully worth the upgrade :)

Dec 21, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #1,404 of 12,398
Not cheap indeed... but they are some of the best footers I've used to date.
The Ultra minis are very much the best "bang for the buck" in the Stillpoints lineup.

I also very much agree that 4 Ultra minis under the Yggy is better than 3 - just make sure all 4 are making proper contact to the bottom surface of the Yggy.   Gently push on each footer, and if it moves freely, then adjust the height of the footer until it doesn't move - check the other footers and repeat as needed.

Dec 21, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #1,405 of 12,398
When is the last time Schiit did a run of black Yggdrasil's?  I'm going to hold out for one.  Maybe this spring...

Dec 21, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #1,406 of 12,398
The first thing noticeable out of the box is the bass. It hits pretty hard.
Details are there, too. Yeah, you can hear the fly farting in the studio.
Soundstage is wide but not huge (or exaggerated ?)
I've the feeling the temperature-stabilization process helps this DAC to lose some of the harshness you may hear at first, and it also raises the mids to the same level as the entire FR.
But it could also be brain brun-in or some audiophool's feeling.
Very happy, I am, BTW 
biggrin.gif

Ali

Dec 21, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #1,407 of 12,398
  The first thing noticeable out of the box is the bass. It hits pretty hard.
Details are there, too. Yeah, you can hear the fly farting in the studio.
Soundstage is wide but not huge (or exaggerated ?)
I've the feeling the temperature-stabilization process helps this DAC to lose some of the harshness you may hear at first, and it also raises the mids to the same level as the entire FR.
But it could also be brain brun-in or some audiophool's feeling.
Very happy, I am, BTW 
biggrin.gif

Ali

Having recently needed to wait for my Yggdrasil to re-warm, I paid closer attention to the cohesion of the sound. I had to focus on sounds to hear their placement, during initial warm-up. After warm-up, it was automatic. Everything was just there. I no longer had to think about it. In fact, I could not help but notice the details, how a violin player would phrase something a little differently during the third pass-thru, to enunciate something, to let us know a change was soon to occur during the fourth pass. All the subtleties were just immediate, without any work on my part.

Once you hear it, you'll know when it's gone. Just give it time - then, magic!

Dec 21, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #1,408 of 12,398
  Having recently needed to wait for my Yggdrasil to re-warm, I paid closer attention to the cohesion of the sound. I had to focus on sounds to hear their placement, during initial warm-up. After warm-up, it was automatic. Everything was just there. I no longer had to think about it. In fact, I could not help but notice the details, how a violin player would phrase something a little differently during the third pass-thru, to enunciate something, to let us know a change was soon to occur during the fourth pass. All the subtleties were just immediate, without any work on my part.

Once you hear it, you'll know when it's gone. Just give it time - then, magic!

It would be useful to get owners' impressions of how long it takes an Yggy to re-achieve thermal nirvana. 

I'm thinking about Head-Fi meets and the like ... if we listen to an Yggy that was set up the same morning, how close to its best might it be? Or conversely, how far from sounding as good as it can.

Certainly my Bimby sounds better to me now than it did when it was just out of the box. But 100% of that could easily be brain burn-in. (But I do take it as a fact that if I turn off my Stax gear, it does take about typically take 20 minutes for the two sides to fully charge up; the difference between the left and right is very obvious.)

Dec 21, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #1,409 of 12,398

It would be useful to get owners' impressions of how long it takes an Yggy to re-achieve thermal nirvana. 

I'm thinking about Head-Fi meets and the like ... if we listen to an Yggy that was set up the same morning, how close to its best might it be? Or conversely, how far from sounding as good as it can.

Certainly my Bimby sounds better to me now than it did when it was just out of the box. But 100% of that could easily be brain burn-in. (But I do take it as a fact that if I turn off my Stax gear, it does take about typically take 20 minutes for the two sides to fully charge up; the difference between the left and right is very obvious.)

Our local Head-Fi group has started taking our Gungnir/Yggdrasil to meets via UPS (not the trucking company, but the battery storage/power supply boxes). The DACs do not consume much power, so a cheap UPS ought to get you there.

My Yggdrasil arrived via FedEx on a warm day, and I thought it sounded fantastic out of the box. I'd never heard it before, in a quiet room. I happily used it from minute one. It slowly crept up to sounding good, but I had no clue. Powered off - two weeks of cold, and back on. When I returned, I found out my audiophile friend was in town, but I did not invite him because I was only around 36 hours of warm-up, when he was available that week. At around 50 hours, it was pretty good - meaning a person who had not heard it before would think it was a really good sounding DAC. My girlfriend, who is an audiophile and doesn't know it, heard it around this point - and was quite moved by Adele and Tori Amos. I do not recall what else we heard that night, but we weren't moved by it, so - oh, well. I finally heard it again, that dizzying depth of sound, around 160 hours. Emilíana Torrini singing the Gollum song from Lord of the Rings, the Two Towers - it is terrifying to listen to the pain in her voice, especially being a fan of the trilogy, and knowing what was to come in the third part of the series.

Just keep it warm - and be patient for the magic 
redface.gif

Dec 21, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #1,410 of 12,398
  Our local Head-Fi group has started taking our Gungnir/Yggdrasil to meets via UPS (not the trucking company, but the battery storage/power supply boxes). The DACs do not consume much power, so a cheap UPS ought to get you there.

Just keep it warm - and be patient for the magic 
redface.gif

That is freakin' genius.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back