Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Dec 14, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #1,366 of 12,406

So did you hear any difference using the iFi iUSB 3.0? Since the Yggdrasil isn't galvanic (it isn't isolated from the USB power) I assume it helps some? Also, isn't the Gemini a USB 2.0 cable?

I put a Upton Amber Regen on the Yggy and preferred the Yggy attached to my Imac without it .

I did try multiple dacs with the Regen and Imac that were dramatically improved  audio quality,the  Benchmark dac2 hgc being one.  

Dec 14, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #1,367 of 12,406
So did you hear any difference using the iFi iUSB 3.0? Since the Yggdrasil isn't galvanic (it isn't isolated from the USB power) I assume it helps some? Also, isn't the Gemini a USB 2.0 cable?
With the iUSB 3.0 in the chain, the Yggdrasil sounds weightier and details are more fleshed out imo. You are right, the Gemini is USB 2.0.

Dec 14, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #1,368 of 12,406

I put a Upton Amber Regen on the Yggy and preferred the Yggy attached to my Imac without it .

I did try multiple dacs with the Regen and Imac that were dramatically improved  audio quality,the  Benchmark dac2 hgc being one.  

Interesting. There are so many "USB cleaners" out there it's hard to keep up with what's new/improved or what even makes a difference lol.

Quote:

With the iUSB 3.0 in the chain, the Yggdrasil sounds weightier and details are more fleshed out imo. You are right, the Gemini is USB 2.0.

Nice, thanks for the response. Do you think it'd make any difference using a USB 3.0 cable (thicker AWG and what not)? You'd lose the ferrite beads but I wonder if you'd still come out ahead?

Dec 14, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #1,369 of 12,406
From Schiit's driver instructions:
Step 4: Connect Yggdrasil with a standard USB A-B cable, 2M or less in length, with true USB 2.0 rating—not 1.1 or 3.0.

Dec 14, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #1,370 of 12,406
From Schiit's driver instructions:
Step 4: Connect Yggdrasil with a standard USB A-B cable, 2M or less in length, with true USB 2.0 rating—not 1.1 or 3.0.

That's interesting... I wonder what the "Gen 3" talk on the Yggdrasil page is about then? Does it just mean its Schiit's 3rd revision of the USB module (and that it's not actually USB 3.0)? I suppose it doesn't matter in the end as long as the connection supports 24/192 but it's still confusing lol. 
confused.gif

Dec 14, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #1,371 of 12,406
That's interesting... I wonder what the "Gen 3" talk on the Yggdrasil page is about then? Does it just mean its Schiit's 3rd revision of the USB module (and that it's not actually USB 3.0)? I suppose it doesn't matter in the end as long as the connection supports 24/192 but it's still confusing lol. :confused:

Yes, that's Schiit's Gen 3 not USB 3.0

Dec 18, 2015 at 5:08 AM Post #1,372 of 12,406
I am considering this dac.

I am a “full sound” freak.  Would this dac meet my expectations- is it full sounding?  Is the detail analytical or musical?

Would the M7 be a better choice for my likings?

Dec 18, 2015 at 5:30 AM Post #1,373 of 12,406
  I am considering this dac.

I am a “full sound” freak.  Would this dac meet my expectations- is it full sounding?  Is the detail analytical or musical?

Would the M7 be a better choice for my likings?

It's a very very 'accurate' sound.  Meaning if the song is recorded hot it will sound hot.  The Yggy won't roll off the highs to make it sound better or make the bass bloated to make it sound fatter.    It will reveal every last detail and be very faithful to the recording.  This is not one of those DAC's that make bad recordings sound good  :wink:

If you like a 'full sound' it's better to find a set of headphones that have the sound you want, rather than relying on the DAC to modify the sound.  Its better to have an accurate DAC and Amp, and then you can tailor the sound you want through careful headphone selection.

Dec 18, 2015 at 5:48 AM Post #1,374 of 12,406

I think I may go in that direction.  I am dedicated to the LCD-3F .   It is extremely full sounding- I just don’t wan’t analytical detail from my dac.  In my experience- the more detail the less musical the dac and vice versa.   Is the Yggy musical- is my question????  I am not willing to give up musicality for more detail.

Dec 18, 2015 at 6:49 AM Post #1,375 of 12,406

I think I may go in that direction.  I am dedicated to the LCD-3F .   It is extremely full sounding- I just don’t wan’t analytical detail from my dac.  In my experience- the more detail the less musical the dac and vice versa.   Is the Yggy musical- is my question????  I am not willing to give up musicality for more detail.

I don't find musicality and detail to be at odds.  After all it is the detail "of the music".  This would be tantamount to saying that listening to part of the music is more enjoyable than listening to all of it.  

Dec 18, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #1,376 of 12,406
I've owned the Yggdrasil for at least five months now and my experience is this:

1. It's only as good as what you put in front of it...
- This is a VERY capable, highly resolving DAC, but for it to truly shine it needs to be fed from the best source(s) you can give it.
- Don't skimp on the cables (interconnects, power, etc...). Experiment here and you might just be surprised!
- Footers... Yes DO experiment with them.  Again, there are supprises to be had!
- Internal mods... As controversial as this is... some simple (removable - or not so removable) mods can improve the Yggdrasil's performance further.  In either case, your warranty will be voided - so do so at your own risk!

The saying "everything matters" is very true with the Yggdrasil.  Give it the best and it will respond in kind.
It may only be a $2,300 USD DAC, but it is capable of performing at a much, much higher level.

Dec 18, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #1,380 of 12,406

- Internal mods... As controversial as this is... some simple (removable - or not so removable) mods can improve the Yggdrasil's performance further.  In either case, your warranty will be voided - so do so at your own risk!

Saw this website when I first got my Yggy since I was curious on possible "enhancements."  By-passing the fuse, as suggested there, seems to be pretty crazy.  But anyone has tried the "WA Quantum" chips?  Tried to look into the "science" behind it but found none.  

I kept mine Yggy stock as it, no need to change...   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back