Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Dec 18, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #1,381 of 12,398
I should get my Yggy tomorrow...a bit unexepected, but it's Christmas after all 
redface.gif

Through modded SRM-727II + SR-009 (and lots of other stats), should provide some fun.

Ali

Dec 18, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #1,382 of 12,398
Saw this website when I first got my Yggy since I was curious on possible "enhancements."  By-passing the fuse, as suggested there, seems to be pretty crazy.  But anyone has tried the "WA Quantum" chips?  Tried to look into the "science" behind it but found none.  

I kept mine Yggy stock as it, no need to change...   
Ever since I heard what the WAQy chips can do, I've been using them on the fuses (and elsewhere) on my dac and amp.
I am very familiar with using tools and 'tweaking' having spent time doing just this on commercial and industrial electronic equipment, so these aren't issues for me.
This ability to dive into the innerds of a device and not do damage or cause further 'problems', is based upon years of experience and may not apply to some folks.
So proceed with caution or enlist the help of someone who is technically oriented to help…

But simple upgrades such as fuses and WAQy chips can and do improve things.

And no I wouldn't recommend hardwiring across the fuse, that is unless you are willing to completely replace the Jggy in case things go horribly wrong, which while rare, can happen.
It is in the nature of a DIY'r to take risks, just be aware of the downsides and take responsibility for making whatever choices that are made.

As for the 'science' behind the WAQy chips, I too have found very little other than a very short simplistic german to english translation of some scant marketing info.
This is strange, in the extreme, in that the company that makes the WAQy chips has near zero information surrounding these little round dots.

The thing is they DO change the sonic output of the devices they are used with, how this is accomplished, what the means and methods used, let alone what the 'science' behind them is, is unknown.
And what with the benefits I hear from using them and to have nothing to explain these changes from the manufacturer, is like marketing in reverse, or marketing from within a black hole, where nothing escapes, is very odd to say the least.

JJ

Dec 19, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #1,385 of 12,398
Ever since I heard what the WAQy chips can do, I've been using them on the fuses (and elsewhere) on my dac and amp.
I am very familiar with using tools and 'tweaking' having spent time doing just this on commercial and industrial electronic equipment, so these aren't issues for me.
This ability to dive into the innerds of a device and not do damage or cause further 'problems', is based upon years of experience and may not apply to some folks.
So proceed with caution or enlist the help of someone who is technically oriented to help…

And no I wouldn't recommend hardwiring across the fuse, that is unless you are willing to completely replace the Jggy in case things go horribly wrong, which while rare, can happen.
It is in the nature of a DIY'r to take risks, just be aware of the downsides and take responsibility for making whatever choices that are made.

As for the 'science' behind the WAQy chips, I too have found very little other than a very short simplistic german to english translation of some scant marketing info.
This is strange, in the extreme, in that the company that makes the WAQy chips has near zero information surrounding these little round dots.

The thing is they DO change the sonic output of the devices they are used with, how this is accomplished, what the means and methods used, let alone what the 'science' behind them is, is unknown.
And what with the benefits I hear from using them and to have nothing to explain these changes from the manufacturer, is like marketing in reverse, or marketing from within a black hole, where nothing escapes, is very odd to say the least.

JJ

Not knowing a thing, I must ask...what are WAQy chips? Fuse replacement devices? Sorry for the silly question, just curious is all.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 19, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #1,386 of 12,398

JJ

Not knowing a thing, I must ask...what are WAQy chips? Fuse replacement devices? Sorry for the silly question, just curious is all.
smily_headphones1.gif

It's a sticker you put on top of the caps I think. Maybe it's magnetic or something (although I dunno how that'd be beneficial)? Who knows. 
wink.gif

Dec 19, 2015 at 6:48 AM Post #1,387 of 12,398
The mod's I've done to my personal Yggy are three fold:

1. Replaced stock fuse with a HiFi Tuning Supreme fuse.
    - Much improved performance across the frequency band - especially mids down.
    - Improved sound stage width & depth.
    - Improved attack and drive.

2. Lightly damped all of the heatsinks.
    - Hard to tell what if any sonic benefit this brought.  But I didn't use a heaver damping material so....

3. WA Quantum Chips - Placed on most caps and a few IC's (around 25-30 chips used in total).
    - Definitely brought a greater sense of clarity/resolution (more grit removed from the window) and further opened the sound stage. 
    - The effect is cumulative - the more chips you add the more pronounced the result.

Dec 19, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #1,391 of 12,398
Going to have to send mine back for service this week. Only had a month.

Dec 19, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #1,394 of 12,398
What is it doing / not doing?

Major: Right channel on both RCAs is not working now. Minor: Some issues with not locking onto input signals (USB and coax used).

Dec 19, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #1,395 of 12,398
  Thanks. Used unit (very good price), from september, and I'll let it on, for sure.

Ali

People often think - un-huh, burn-in, yeah right. I've heard that phrase before.

With the Yggdrasil, it is more like a thermal stabilization. Mine had been on since October, but off for two weeks of travel immediately following Thanksgiving. I had to start all over again, to wait for the stabilization this past week. I turned it on at midnight (between Saturday and Sunday last weekend) so it should be good, right about now 
biggrin.gif

But on a genuinely serious note, give it time to warm-up and stabilize!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back