Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Aug 13, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #556 of 12,235

There's no indication of sample rate on the Yggy's front panel.  I've tried USB direct into the Yggy and via AES input from a Stello U3 DDC.
I have tried both Thesycon drivers (for the U3), and the Yggy's Gen 3 driver. They install fine, but still no sound.

I have tried powering the Yggy off and back on....  The VCO/VCXO light flashes for 15 seconds or so then goes off - still no sample rate indication.

Have you tried play a song? No sampling rate indicator light until it receives the USB signal from host, from my experience. OS dependent. 

Have you tried swapping cables? 

Aug 13, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #557 of 12,235
One might suspect the Win 10 update. Tried another source?

Aug 13, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #558 of 12,235
1) To rule out that the Win10 Update caused the problem, I performed a clean install (full format) of Windows.

2) I have tried the following connection options:
    - USB to U3 DDC - AES Cable to Yggy (Stello U3 Driver)
    - USB Direct to Yggy (using Yggy Gen3 driver)

3) I have tried turning the Yggy off and pulling the power cord for 5 minutes, then plugging the cord back in and turning the Yggy on.

Unfortunately none of the above actions have corrected the problem.
The sampling indication lights remain off and there's no sound from the unit.

Aug 13, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #560 of 12,235
Also make sure it is still the output device selected in win10 control panel/sound/playback tab.  I know it obvious but...
blink.gif

Aug 13, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #567 of 12,235
It's all right. Nothing fancy, just a DAC that's giving you the real music.

Real. Music.

No other DAC in the same price range does the same.

There's also the audio-gd master 7 and master 11 at the same price range.

I had the Master7 for a few days and it does not do same.
The signature is very present on the Master7,
In comparison to the yggy, which has zero signature.
It is hard to describe the level of reality achived untill you hear it for yourself...

The signal received indicator on the Stello U3 turns green indicating that it's working.
I'm Pretty sure at this point that the problem is with Yggy.

When my first yggy arrived DOA, as I recall schitt suggested to verify with another source.
So I made sure by testing on 3 *Windoze* laptops and one MacBook..

Although you have done much investigation, it is still the same computer, correct?
I realize your focusing on the problem, but you still need to rule out if it is your computer, by trying another...
Edit:
Oh I see your problem resolved.
Looks like was a recognize problem?
What do you think?
Anything learned from this would be usefull for future users.

Aug 13, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #568 of 12,235
The master-11 impressions so far have been very positive, seems to correct the master-7 short comings.

Aug 13, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #569 of 12,235
  What do you think about compatibility between Yggdrasil and Windows 10 when using USB? Have you had any problem, other that this one recently occurred?

I haven't used USB direct into the Yggy yet - other than trying to solve the problem.
Schiit Audio has a Win10 driver available and it installed just fine, but I never tested it from a listening perspective.
After re-installing Windows, I went straight back to using my DDC in-between the PC and Yggy.
Right now I'm using the Thesycon v3.0.0 drivers on my rig (have been for a couple of weeks now) and they have worked perfectly well with Win10.

Whatever caused the Yggy to stop working was odd to say the least.  I don't think it was the Windows Update that caused the problem so much as the reboot of the PC.

I had the Master7 for a few days and it does not do same.
The signature is very present on the Master7,
In comparison to the yggy, which has zero signature.
It is hard to describe the level of reality achived untill you hear it for yourself...

When my first yggy arrived DOA, as I reacall schitt suggested to verify with another source.
So I made sure by testing on 3 *Windoze* laptops and one MacBook..

Although you have done much investigation, it is still the same computer, correct?
I realize your focusing on the problem, but you still need to rule out if it is your computer, by trying another...
Edit:
Oh I see your problem resolved.
Looks like was a recognize problem?
What do you think?
Anything learned from this would be usefull for future users.

Really hard to say at this point what caused the problem in the first place. 
I had JPlay, Fidelizer, and Process Lasso installed prior to the mishap, but I'm not too sure where they would have caused a problem?
Right now I'm back to a nice clean configuration of just the drivers and Foobar.   -   Sounds not too bad actually. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back