Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Aug 8, 2015 at 3:42 AM Post #527 of 12,390

Do you have to reverse the polarity of the fuses in the southern hemisphere?

Is this akin to the toilets swirl backwards from those in the nothern hemisphere?

JJ  hahahahahahaha  
atsmile.gif

Aug 8, 2015 at 3:48 AM Post #528 of 12,390

Which amp?
And did you notice that these fuses seem to be polarized? 

And what did you notice as a change?

inquiring minds and all…

JJ

I read am article that yes they should go in a certain way but you should still try both ways on your system.

I placed them in recomended direction.
Unfortunately I have made so many modifications along the way in upgrading my amp,
I did not spend time to test them in different direcrions.

Before I upgraded the only difference I heard was a slight perception of leaner focused sound.

The main reason for me to use them, was that they were recomended by a member I trust.
:)

Aug 8, 2015 at 4:28 AM Post #529 of 12,390
I read am article that yes they should go in a certain way but you should still try both ways on your system.

I placed them in recomended direction.
Unfortunately I have made so many modifications along the way in upgrading my amp,
I did not spend time to test them in different direcrions.

Before I upgraded the only difference I heard was a slight perception of leaner focused sound.

The main reason for me to use them, was that they were recomended by a member I trust.
smily_headphones1.gif

What I found was if they didn't 'open up' between 1-2 hrs after insertion then they need to be reversed and run for that same time duration again and wait for that OBVIOUS improvement that happens.

And when I say 'open up', the SQ will take a mother may I step up that will be VERY obvious.

If that didn't happen and now you have many hrs of use and the sound hasn't become much more focused and detailed, I'd suggest reversing them as an experiment.

But note, it might take many hrs to 'undo' them being run 'backwards'.

I know this because I made this mistake myself and it took several hundred hrs before the focus and detail and all the rest, met my previous experience with these fuses.

Just say'n is all…

JJ

Aug 8, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #531 of 12,390
My Ragnarok is on the way. I can't wait to hear how it pairs with the Yggy. Recently pulled my Valhalla 2 out. Early on with Yggy it was unbearably harsh. Yesterday that pairing with my 650s and PM3s gee willikers.

The Valhalla2 climbs so high that you may be spoiled thinking you will gain much more from the Rag.

Aug 8, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #532 of 12,390
  Have you tried a synergistic RED fuse yet???

JJ  
atsmile.gif
  hahahahahaha

What rating, length and how many SR red fuses are needed?

Aug 8, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #533 of 12,390
  What rating, length and how many SR red fuses are needed?

Since I don't own a Jggy yet I can't say what fuse it uses.
Perhaps someone else can supply this info.

I can tell it only uses one fuse and it is most likely a 5x20mm sized fuse and you will need to remove the outer case and inner 'shield' in order to get to the fuse since its located on the motherboard in the back near the ac plug receptacle.

JJ

Aug 10, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #535 of 12,390
My first 30 minutes with the Yggdrasil are that of intrigue.
Yes it's VERY early on in the life of this DAC - and I expect it's tonal balance will mature over time.

Coming from an Eximus DP1, I was at first perhaps most surprised by how indifferent the two DAC's sounded in comparison.
Well, that was at first glance...

Tonally they have a similar midrange presentation, but it wasn't until I played more bass heavy tracks that the differences started to appear.
The Yggdrasil at this point comes off sounding a bit more lean across the board.  It's not as voluminous or frankly as loud as the DP1 (the DP1 has a built in preamp)
and yet I'd be very hard pressed to say that the Yggy sounds strident or bright.  It's actually not a bright sounding DAC at all. I think at the top end extremes the Yggdrasil is probably less bright and more controlled than the DP1.  The DP1 has a BIG bottom end, and yet for some reason the Yggy's comes off sounding more balanced / appropriate. I suspect it will continue to fill out and improve with burn-in.

Coherence is an interesting thing and already the Yggdrasil appears to have taken the win.  Speech intelligence and overall inner midrange detail is very good on the Yggy.
The DP1 can tend to sound slightly fuzzy or blurred at times.  I don't get this with the Yggy. Top to bottom - out of the box the Yggdrasil is just more coherent.

I had always considered the Eximus DP1 to be more of a fine instrument, but when you compare it to the Yggy at this juncture, it comes off sounding more like a battle tank ready for war!
It's big and bold but perhaps not the fine pedigree I thought it was.  The Yggdrasil is definitely more incisive and more to the point.  It doesn't sound as big, but that's not a bad thing (unless it's what your looking for).  

I was expecting this big badass of an American amp to sound just that.  instead I've come away a little surprised and frankly quite intrigued.
I'm definitely looking forward to hearing what the Yggdrasil holds in store for me as it swings through it's burn-in period.
Great things are to come, That I have no doubt...

Aug 10, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #536 of 12,390
  My first 30 minutes with the Yggdrasil are that of intrigue.
Yes it's VERY early on in the life of this DAC - and I expect it's tonal balance will mature over time.

Coming from an Eximus DP1, I was at first perhaps most surprised by how indifferent the two DAC's sounded in comparison.
Well, that was at first glance...

Tonally they have a similar midrange presentation, but it wasn't until I played more bass heavy tracks that the differences started to appear.
The Yggdrasil at this point comes off sounding a bit more lean across the board.  It's not as voluminous or frankly as loud as the DP1 (the DP1 has a built in preamp)
and yet I'd be very hard pressed to say that the Yggy sounds strident or bright.  It's actually not a bright sounding DAC at all. I think at the top end extremes the Yggdrasil is probably less bright and more controlled than the DP1.  The DP1 has a BIG bottom end, and yet for some reason the Yggy's comes off sounding more balanced / appropriate. I suspect it will continue to fill out and improve with burn-in.

Coherence is an interesting thing and already the Yggdrasil appears to have taken the win.  Speech intelligence and overall inner midrange detail is very good on the Yggy.
The DP1 can tend to sound slightly fuzzy or blurred at times.  I don't get this with the Yggy. Top to bottom - out of the box the Yggdrasil is just more coherent.

I had always considered the Eximus DP1 to be more of a fine instrument, but when you compare it to the Yggy at this juncture, it comes off sounding more like a battle tank ready for war!
It's big and bold but perhaps not the fine pedigree I thought it was.  The Yggdrasil is definitely more incisive and more to the point.  It doesn't sound as big, but that's not a bad thing (unless it's what your looking for).  

I was expecting this big badass of an American amp to sound just that.  instead I've come away a little surprised and frankly quite intrigued.
I'm definitely looking forward to hearing what the Yggdrasil holds in store for me as it swings through it's burn-in period.
Great things are to come, That I have no doubt...

Thank you for posting these great impressions! I'll look forward to hearing more from you.

Aug 10, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #537 of 12,390
Ohhhh, I found that bass!
OK, so I was wrong... The Yggy does wanna do battle after all
popcorn.gif

Turns out the secret ingredient I was missing was the Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers I had placed under the Eximus DP1.
Apparently placing them under the Yggdrasil has the same effect of fattening up the lower-mid and bass regions.

Dare I say it sounds even more similar to the DP1 now... EXCEPT... the Yggy is still more coherent.
There's something kind of fun about the way this DAC sounds, I'm definitely digging what I hear so far.

The fact that it sounds every bit as good or better than the DP1 straight out of the box is pretty impressive.

Aug 10, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #538 of 12,390
Ohhhh, I found that bass!
OK, so I was wrong... The Yggy does wanna do battle after all :popcorn:

Turns out the secret ingredient I was missing was the Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers I had placed under the Eximus DP1.
Apparently placing them under the Yggdrasil has the same effect of fattening up the lower-mid and bass regions.

Dare I say it sounds even more similar to the DP1 now... EXCEPT... the Yggy is still more coherent.
There's something kind of fun about the way this DAC sounds, I'm definitely digging what I hear so far.

The fact that it sounds every bit as good or better than the DP1 straight out of the box is pretty impressive.

I will look for the Still Point Ultra Mini Footers, to place under my Yggdrasil.

Aug 10, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #539 of 12,390
I realize that there's a price gap but...

Have there been any reviews directly comparing the Yggdrasil to the Bifrost and/or Gungnir?

Aug 10, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #540 of 12,390
I will look for the Still Point Ultra Mini Footers, to place under my Yggdrasil.

Just be aware of the sticker shock
eek.gif

Stillpoints aren't exactly cheap, but they are one of the best metal footers (any footer really) I've used.

For even more mid-bass / bass bloom you might look at the Ultra SS.
They are very good, but at twice the price, I don't think they are 2x better than the Ultra Mini.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back