Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Aug 3, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #513 of 12,397
Aug 5, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #514 of 12,397
I have a few questions for you.

1.  How do you know accuracy when you hear it or what DAC is most accurate?

2.  How do you know the source background is not pitch black? 

3.  How do you know the grayish background of the Yggdrasil is not a flaw?

4.  What makes you say other DACs have a "fake" blackness about them? 

5.  How do you support the idea the Yggdrasil resolves better than other DACs? Or the Yggdrasil has [COLOR=0000FF]"absolute" resolution[/COLOR] as you say?

6.  You say [COLOR=0000FF]"Untill you hear the missing information"[/COLOR]  How do you know what information is missing?

You make a lot of claims alluding to the Yggdrasil as being the best DAC there is.  There's faults in all DACs, surly you can find one in the Yggdrasil. 

I like the Yggdrasil and plan on getting another soon.  However, I know it's not the best DAC in the world.

Hello all I have been away a bit on projects & just read up..

Ok I will bite Prepoman.

First I like to say I only alude to the yggy being at top tier, but I didnt say it was the best, obviously.

I actually AGREE in the point that,
I believe YGGY does have one small flaw.
I pretty positive it is not as good as your top dac untill it gets its buffer stage replaced/bypassed,
but of course that would be modding, which void warrantee :wink:

Ok so here my simple ans to your questions:

1- Accuarcy I determined when there was more soundstage ambiance info and localization
creating a more realistic presentation.

2- at first I believed source was pitch black untill I heard more ambiance info in yggy.

3- the greyish background is actually a real flaw,
BuT,
Only IF, your system is resolving enough to pick it out...
And only incomparison to something better like maybe your dac. :wink:

4- I percieved a "fake" blackness in other dacs, because I dont hear the micro ambiance and soundstage width.
My dac experience is also very limited compared to members like you though, so I cant speak for all dacs..

5- I refer to yggy in an area of "absolute resolution" , only in comparison to dacs I posted.
In my opinion, the only weakness is the buffer stage that is preventing yggy to reach true "absolute" level.

6- Its easy to tell whats information is missing.
Its when you listen to the same music,
Yet you hear more of it,
Noticed more things, more easily.
:p

Did I pass your test?
Where's my cookie!

There are lots of great DACs around. Why wait till next year?

I need a amp right now more than a dac but give me some suggestions . I don't have unlimited money but anything 2,500 or down.

Ragnarok.

Unfortunately I compared the Rag side by side with a tube amp and it did not display the soundstage depth like the tube amp.

So although the Rag may be at the top of the heap of solid state amps, with a lively and powerful sound...
Yes it is that good, but..

So personally, I would go with Cavali hybrid amp or a top tube amp.

Aug 5, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #515 of 12,397
Hello all I have been away a bit on projects & just read up..

Ok I will bite Prepoman.

First I like to say I only alude to the yggy being at top tier, but I didnt say it was the best, obviously.

I actually AGREE in the point that,
I believe YGGY does have one small flaw.
I pretty positive it is not as good as your top dac untill it gets its buffer stage replaced/bypassed,
but of course that would be modding, which void warrantee :wink:

Ok so here my simple ans to your questions:

1- Accuarcy I determined when there was more soundstage ambiance info and localization
creating a more realistic presentation.

2- at first I believed source was pitch black untill I heard more ambiance info in yggy.

3- the greyish background is actually a real flaw,
BuT,
Only IF, your system is resolving enough to pick it out...
And only incomparison to something better like maybe your dac. :wink:

4- I percieved a "fake" blackness in other dacs, because I dont hear the micro ambiance and soundstage width.
My dac experience is also very limited compared to members like you though, so I cant speak for all dacs..

5- I refer to yggy in an area of "absolute resolution" , only in comparison to dacs I posted.
In my opinion, the only weakness is the buffer stage that is preventing yggy to reach true "absolute" level.

6- Its easy to tell whats information is missing.
Its when you listen to the same music,
Yet you hear more of it,
Noticed more things, more easily.
:p

Did I pass your test?
Where's my cookie!
Unfortunately I compared the Rag side by side with a tube amp and it did not display the soundstage depth like the tube amp.

So although the Rag may be at the top of the heap of solid state amps, with a lively and powerful sound...
Yes it is that good, but..

So personally, I would go with Cavali hybrid amp or a top tube amp.

I bought a Rogue Cronos Magnum II . Let's see how good this puppy is . Never heard it .

Aug 5, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #516 of 12,397
I bought a Rogue Cronos Magnum II . Let's see how good this puppy is . Never heard it .

Wow nice!

Hey, one thing I noticed more on this yggy than other dacs,
is more difference in the source of the music.

Popular music with synthesized sounds dont seem to have the same level of detail depth, harmonics, air, instrument space setting, place of recording, overall presence...

as a live band recording..

:)

Aug 7, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #517 of 12,397
Wow nice!

Popular music with synthesized sounds dont seem to have the same level of detail depth, harmonics, air, instrument space setting, place of recording, overall presence...

Got the Rogue in today . All I can say is wow , a great integrated tube amplifier .

Aug 7, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #518 of 12,397
Wow nice!

Got the Rogue in today . All I can say is wow , a great integrated tube amplifier .

Excellent.
Try:
Top tube amp + yggy = :) :)

Aug 7, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #519 of 12,397
Aug 7, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #521 of 12,397
Excellent.
Try:
Top tube amp + yggy = :) :)

You should read Neguras review/comparison of MSB analog, Theta Gen VA, and Yggy. It is a very informative post and reads very honestly. In the end Analog outclassed both but at a price tag more than double. At the same time both DACs held their weight accordingly (one from the 90s and one that cost a little over 2K which is chump change in the world of statement DACs)

Aug 8, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #522 of 12,397
Will do, thanks for tip, as I only herd of the "total dac" outclassing the yggy..
Its really really hard to imagine better than what I am hearing now with the yggy,
But I do realize its possible.

Aug 8, 2015 at 2:46 AM Post #523 of 12,397
Will do, thanks for tip, as I only herd of the "total dac" outclassing the yggy..
Its really really hard to imagine better than what I am hearing now with the yggy,

Have you tried a synergistic RED fuse yet???

JJ  
atsmile.gif
  hahahahahaha

Aug 8, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #524 of 12,397

Have you tried a synergistic RED fuse yet???

JJ  :atsmile:   hahahahahaha

Yes & No.
I have them in my amp, but not yet in my yggy.
I have not done a thing(yet) to my yggy, I promise..
:wink:

Aug 8, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #525 of 12,397
Yes & No.
I have them in my amp, but not yet in my yggy.
I have not done a thing(yet) to my yggy, I promise..
wink.gif

Which amp?
And did you notice that these fuses seem to be polarized? 

And what did you notice as a change?

inquiring minds and all…

JJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back