Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Aug 1, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #496 of 12,389
Read Maxx134's post at the top of this page. It would seem to support your second clause. Although - as you can see - prep had questions.

Well I don't want to get lost in the hype, trying to explain circuit noise as increased resolution.  Anyone own yggy care to comment? is there noise even when no music is playing (at max volume)?

Aug 1, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #498 of 12,389
Well I don't want to get lost in the hype, trying to explain circuit noise as increased resolution.  Anyone own yggy care to comment? is there noise even when no music is playing (at max volume)?

My Yggdrasil/ Ragnarock is perfectly quiet when no music is playing, with the volume at max. I use max gain, to drive my power hungry planar headphones.

Aug 1, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #499 of 12,389
To overstate the obvious, all systems have some level of noise.  Whether you hear noise depends on the magnitude of the noise delivered to your ear (and the sensitivity of your ear).  The gain setting, the degree of amplification, the magnitude of the noise, the magnitude of external noises such as those of the recording, and the sensitivity of the transducer (including the ears) among other variables all come into play.  I'm not saying anything all of you don't know.   At high enough gain most systems make some noise even if it's just the intrinsic noise of all the electronic parts of the system.  I'd like to know if the Yggy is dead quiet too but if this conversation isn't to end up being some saying yes and some saying no, signifying nothing there needs to be some quantification of what people are or are not hearing. The systems being compared are not comparable.  I am not technical enough to suggest how to do this.  I do know that just telling us a gain setting or the power of your amp won't get to the bottom of this. 

Why do I say this?   @reddog tells us he hears no noise.  Fine I believe he hears no noise--black background. He also tells us his gain is maxed and his transducers are insensitive. Thus it is less likely he will hear noise in his comparatively low sensitivity situation.  Obviously reddog is going to be happy that the Yggy has a black background and he has told us a little bit about his system.   Is this a situation where lining up the gains, sensitivities, input voltages etc for all the reports would help us understand when the background is black and when it's gray?

Aug 1, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #500 of 12,389
With reddog's observation, we can say yggy is quite with fairly powerful amp and planar headphones.  All we need now is dynamics headphones, anyone with HD800 care to chime in?

Thanks.

Aug 1, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #502 of 12,389
The people who hear a gray background aren't likely to accept a spec like SNR.  You know there are factors that a spec can't measure 
beyersmile.png
.  By that criterion most all modern DACs should have a "black" background.  Of course most recorded material that was picked up by a mike has much much much higher noise levels.  I think I am heading over to sound science now...

Aug 1, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #504 of 12,389
With reddog's observation, we can say yggy is quite with fairly powerful amp and planar headphones.  All we need now is dynamics headphones, anyone with HD800 care to chime in?

Thanks.

I hear no noise with my HD800'S or my SR009.

Aug 1, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #505 of 12,389
Well got another delay notice on the Yggy .3rd or 4th one.
I cancelled the order . Need to buy an amp more than a dac right now anyway .
Someone is gonna get one sooner ! Maybe .

Thanks Jimmy :)

Aug 1, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #506 of 12,389
Yes. Hype. But well, we can try to separate the 'explanation' from the observation. The observation may be quite useful provided it hasn't got biased too much by the speculative explanation! (Btw, scientists are inveterate speculators so no shame in that).

Prep does indeed always have questions, such as "why not buy it again?" :p

Aug 1, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #507 of 12,389
From the Yggy measured specs on the Schiit site:

SNR: > 117dB, referenced to 2V RMS

If someone hears some noise in their rig, it's from the amplifier they are using.

This. There is absolutely no audible noise (to my ears) from my yggy with hd800 and my mainline. Totally agree that any perceived grey background is an amp issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back