Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Aug 10, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #541 of 12,235
  I realize that there's a price gap but...

Have there been any reviews directly comparing the Yggdrasil to the Bifrost and/or Gungnir?

I replaced my Gungnir with an Yggdrasil. When Yggy arrived I powered down my Gungnir, disconnected the wires, swapped in the Yggy, and reconnected the wires. Cold out of the box Yggy was clearly better at reproducing musical realities than Gungnir. Then Yggy warmed up over the next few months and found it's groove.

Aug 11, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #543 of 12,235
The Valhalla2 climbs so high that you may be spoiled thinking you will gain much more from the Rag.

I was worried about that. I spent the evening running the 650s into the Mjolnir. Sounded great but there was a weird lower mid bump that just made it seem too forward and boomy with some stuff. Mjolnir with LCD3 different story. That just amazes me on every level. I had intended to sell the Valhalla but it loves high impedance headphones and is a good sonic pairing. Tight and revealing amp with a laid back smooth headphone.

Aug 11, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #544 of 12,235
I replaced my Gungnir with an Yggdrasil. When Yggy arrived I powered down my Gungnir, disconnected the wires, swapped in the Yggy, and reconnected the wires. Cold out of the box Yggy was clearly better at reproducing musical realities than Gungnir. Then Yggy warmed up over the next few months and found it's groove.
pretty much did the same thing with my uberfrost.

Aug 12, 2015 at 8:05 AM Post #547 of 12,235
I sold my Gunginr as well. Got $576 for it on Ebay, Also sold my Meridian director. Yggy clearly better than both.

I was hoping for a description of how it was better than Schiit's lower tier DACs.

Accuracy?  Soundstage? Imaging? Everything?  Does it really just crush them in all possible ways?

Aug 12, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #548 of 12,235
  I was hoping for a description of how it was better than Schiit's lower tier DACs.

Accuracy?  Soundstage? Imaging? Everything?  Does it really just crush them in all possible ways?

For me, absolutely.  My Gungnir was my second DAC.  I had a DACMagic before it.  Blech.  The Gungnir really showed me what a good DAC could do.  However, the Yggy is, to me, miles better in every way.  Clarity is the word I'll use.  Everything seems more clear.  More defined across all adjectives. 

Aug 12, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #549 of 12,235

For me, absolutely.  My Gungnir was my second DAC.  I had a DACMagic before it.  Blech.  The Gungnir really showed me what a good DAC could do.  However, the Yggy is, to me, miles better in every way.  Clarity is the word I'll use.  Everything seems more clear.  More defined across all adjectives. 

We must have been separated at birth! I went from a DACMagic to a Gungnir to Yggy. 

All I can add to your description of the sound is the word "real." Iggy sounds more like real musical instruments playing in space than the others. 

Aug 12, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #550 of 12,235

We must have been separated at birth! I went from a DACMagic to a Gungnir to Yggy. 

All I can add to your description of the sound is the word "real." Iggy sounds more like real musical instruments playing in space than the others. 

Nice.  Yes, that is a good word.  My Ragnarok is getting delivered today and I'm stoked how this big pile of schiit will sound. 

Aug 12, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #552 of 12,235

Nice.  Yes, that is a good word.  My Ragnarok is getting delivered today and I'm stoked how this big pile of schiit will sound. 

You will love it, I got mine after Yggy really broke in. Mind you I listen to speakers, but the Rag is some serious Schiit. 

Aug 13, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #554 of 12,235
Hmmm... did my Yggy just give up the ghost?

It's been baking for the past 3 days without an issue, then I had to reboot windows due to a Win10 required update.
After the update, no audio whatsoever...

There's no indication of sample rate on the Yggy's front panel.  I've tried USB direct into the Yggy and via AES input from a Stello U3 DDC.
I have tried both Thesycon drivers (for the U3), and the Yggy's Gen 3 driver. They install fine, but still no sound.

I have tried powering the Yggy off and back on....  The VCO/VCXO light flashes for 15 seconds or so then goes off - still no sample rate indication.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back