Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Aug 23, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #10,546 of 12,201
New (to me) Yggy issue.

Just bought a used Yggy 2 w/ Unison from The Music Room. Plays great. However, when I press pause on Tidal, I get a very loud buzz. Anyone encounter this? Wasn’t an issue with my previous DAC, an iFi hip. And, again, only occurs when a track is paused
How is your Yggy connected to your source? Does it happen if you swap outputs (XLR vs RCA)?

Aug 23, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #10,547 of 12,201
USB input/RCA output. Neither amp nor streamer have XLR. Just ordered a new USB from Schiit to see if that has an effect

Aug 23, 2021 at 7:14 PM Post #10,549 of 12,201
New (to me) Yggy issue.

Just bought a used Yggy 2 w/ Unison from The Music Room. Plays great. However, when I press pause on Tidal, I get a very loud buzz. Anyone encounter this? Wasn’t an issue with my previous DAC, an iFi hip. And, again, only occurs when a track is paused
the root problem may be in how the Denon analog inputs interact with the Yggy's output in the muted state, AC leakage currents, etc. Changing / defeating AC grounding may create electrical or other safety hazards and is not recommended.

IMO, Likely the Unison module in the Yggy is OK if the buzzing only happens when Tidal is paused. also check out you-tube videos on yggdrasil disassembly to see if its something you want to tackle if you're not a tech or an engineer.

possible fixes:
a) there might a software setting in your source or the ifi Stream to enable sending blank or "zero" frames when muted or when no input is present.

b) try connecting the ifi Stream to Yggy via an rg-59 type digital coaxial RCA cable instead of the USB as there is some difference in the way some s/pdif transmitter chips handle muted frames vs USB, which may keep the yggy from muting when Tidal is paused.

c) try putting a Sys between the Yggy's RCA analog output and the Denon's analog RCA inputs, set the Sys' volume pot between 80% and 100%.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2021 at 12:19 AM Post #10,550 of 12,201
Last edited:
Aug 25, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #10,551 of 12,201
Got my Unison-upgraded Yggy back today and my Mac Mini no longer recognises it (the DAC doesn't even show up in AudioMIDI Utility). Bizarrely, as soon as I plug the USB cable in, the 48 and x4 sample rate LEDs come on. It never did this with Gen5. Before I contact Schiit/Electromod for support, I'd be grateful if anyone can confirm lf Unison is compatible with OSX El Capitan? According to Schiit's Unison FAQs it's compatible with OSX 10.10 so I don't understand why my Mac isn't recognising it.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #10,552 of 12,201
Just so happened to install Unison myself over this past weekend. :) Can't speak for El Capitan, but it was instantly recognized with my Macbook Pro on Big Sur.
Tho, at first it was only coming thru the right channel. I re-inserted the PYST usb cable and now it seems to work as expected (maybe the USB cable wasn't fully inserted first time..?)

Aug 28, 2021 at 9:31 PM Post #10,555 of 12,201
I dont think there will be an A3 board, rather a few different versions (cheaper).
I got an email from Schiit about my Yggy being ready to ship offering me the choice to wait for new versions instead.

‐‐-------------------------------------------------
Good news! Your Yggdrasil is ready to ship.

However, before we send it, we need to let you know about some Yggdrasil options that are coming in the next 2-4 weeks. These options are two lower-priced Yggdrasil models. There will soon be three Yggdrasil options:

* **Yggdrasil Less Is More**.
Uses four (yes, 4) TI DAC8812 stereo 16-bit DACs and integrated differential amplification afterwards. Because it’s 16 bits, and because the DACs cost less than the other options, it is less expensive than any other version. It also measures a bit better than the Yggdrasil OG (!) despite being down 4 bits. This is the wonder and magic of dither. $2199

* **Yggdrasil More is Less**.
Middle priced. Uses four TI DAC11001 20-bit DACs and integrated differential amplification afterwards. These new DACs really push the limits of measured multibit performance. Although they are true 20-bit multibit architecture DACs, their integrated sample-and-hold provides measured performance near the top of today’s DACs. $2349

* **Yggdrasil OG**. Also known as what you ordered or Yggdrasil Analog 2. Uses four Analog Devices 20-bit DACs and discrete analog buffering and summing afterwards. The only discrete Yggdrasil model, and the one that everyone has known and loved for the past few years. $2599, your price $2449.

We are sorry that we do not have reviews or measurements available to help you decide yet, but before we ship the flavor boards, we intend to have a double-blind listening test with multiple reviewers and complete APx reports for both of the two models.

Aug 29, 2021 at 12:28 AM Post #10,556 of 12,201
…and the incredi-bargain Yggy GS is gone.

Aug 29, 2021 at 6:50 PM Post #10,557 of 12,201
I know this has been asked a number of times but figured I’d ask here: what source would everyone recommend with Yggdrasil, ideally priced about the same? I figure the contenders are Lumin U1 mini, the Innuous Zen and mini, the Aurender N100 and the Auralic Aries G1. I don’t need Roon, and I can do without storage. Need it to be relatively user friendly (not crashing all the time) which I assume all of these will do.
my rig is in the signature line. As you can see, source/dac is the weakest link and I hope to address that with Yggy (ordered, waiting to arrive) and a streamer.
Edit: in the process of upgrading V200 to either V280 or Pathos Aurium. Still evaluating.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2021 at 6:52 PM Post #10,558 of 12,201
I know this has been asked a number of times but figured I’d ask here: what source would everyone recommend with Yggdrasil,
Honestly, the Pi2AES is amazing (even disregarding it's affordable price point). Once I got mine up and running (10 minutes), it's been powered on and stable for months.

Aug 31, 2021 at 5:45 AM Post #10,560 of 12,201
I know this has been asked a number of times but figured I’d ask here: what source would everyone recommend with Yggdrasil, ideally priced about the same? I figure the contenders are Lumin U1 mini, the Innuous Zen and mini, the Aurender N100 and the Auralic Aries G1. I don’t need Roon, and I can do without storage. Need it to be relatively user friendly (not crashing all the time) which I assume all of these will do.
my rig is in the signature line. As you can see, source/dac is the weakest link and I hope to address that with Yggy (ordered, waiting to arrive) and a streamer.
Edit: in the process of upgrading V200 to either V280 or Pathos Aurium. Still evaluating.
I can tell you I am extremely happy with the Lumin U1 mini feeding Yggdrasil . Can't speak to the other brands as I haven't heard them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back