Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Aug 4, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #10,520 of 12,319
How do I measure DC voltages on the balanced output, do I measure across Pins 1 and 2 and then repeat for Pins 1 and 3, or do I measure across Pins 2 and 3?
I think you'll want to try across 1&2 and then 1&3. So, positive/negative against ground. Even measuring across hot & cold, I don't believe you should be seeing any DC from any of the pins on balanced out. I think that should all be filtered out, right?

If you see DC on those pins, it may be that something wonky is going on with a cap or rectifier somewhere in your Yggy (just a wild guess), which are frequently used for filtering.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #10,521 of 12,319
I'm currently auditioning a Sparkos Aries headphone amp and wanted to use it with my Yggy, but it looks like that ain't gonna happen 'cos when I connect my Yggy's RCA outputs to the Sparkos' RCA inputs the amp's LCD display shows a DC warning. This is the first time I've been made aware of the presence of DC on the Yggy's outputs, my other amps have no way of issuing such a warning. I'm curious if any other Yggy owners have discovered the presence DC on Yggy's RCA outputs? The Aries amp I am demoing is RCA only (they didn't have a balanced model in stock) so I am unable to try the Yggy's BAL outputs with this amp.

51357291906_733ee278bf_o.jpg

I initially encountered this problem with my Sparkos Labs Aries, with no other amp plugged into the other output of my Yggy. The problem went away when I hooked up my alternate headphone amp (Woo WA-6SE) to the second RCA output of the Yggy. I never did troubleshoot any further because the sound was from the start outstanding and better than the Woo tube amp in many ways. One clue might be that with my system there are no thumps or pops when rotating the Aries stepped volume control, apparently indicating no DC offset on the Yggy output.

Some possible factors that come to mind include the fact that my Sparkos is floated (the power conditioner output has earth ground disconnected), because this always sounded better with other amps. This might induce a DC offset on neutral ground, which is the bottom of the step volume control ladder. Connecting another amp might improve the ground connection enough to clear the ground offset. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #10,522 of 12,319
Quadels brings up a great point the rest of your system. Worth a shot if you happen to have another amp to try

Btw, which Yggy analog version?

Aug 5, 2021 at 7:16 AM Post #10,523 of 12,319
Quadels brings up a great point the rest of your system. Worth a shot if you happen to have another amp to try

Btw, which Yggy analog version?
Analog v.2 USB v.5.

My system is rather greedy:
Mac Mini -> USB -> Yggy -> BAL -> Kramer VS-4X switch -> up to four balanced amplifiers.
Mac Mini -> USB -> Yggy -> SE1 -> single-ended amplifier
Mac Mini -> USB -> Yggy -> SE2 -> Sparkos Aries

Balanced is my preferred output on Yggy because it sounds better to my ears. Another reason I don't normally use the SE output is because I hear a 'pop' through my speakers every time it changes sample rates. It's done this ever since it was new. I wonder if this is related to the DC voltage? The BAL outputs are silent during sample rate changes.

I re-tested the SE outputs this morning and they both measured 0.0mV DC, but then I realised that although the Yggy was powered on it hadn't locked onto a signal (no sample rate LEDs were illuminated). So, I started playing some music and then stopped it, so that it would lock onto a signal, and the 1.61V / 1.01V DC voltage that I measured yesterday reappeared.

Can I therefore ask the Yggy owners who kindly measured their SE outputs yesterday to confirm that you measured it while the sample rate LEDs were illuminated? Can you also please confirm which digital input was selected?

After remeasuring the SE outputs I also checked the BAL outputs:
Lch: 0.0mV between Pins 1 and 2, 0.0mV between Pins 1 and 3, and 0.0mV between Pins 2 and 3.
Rch: 0.0mV between Pins 1 and 2, 0.0mV between Pins 1 and 3, and 0.0mV between Pins 2 and 3.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2021 at 8:03 AM Post #10,524 of 12,319
Analog v.2 USB v.5.

My system is rather greedy:
Mac Mini -> USB -> Yggy -> BAL -> Kramer VS-4X switch -> up to four balanced amplifiers.
Mac Mini -> USB -> Yggy -> SE1 -> single-ended amplifier
Mac Mini -> USB -> Yggy -> SE2 -> Sparkos Aries

Balanced is my preferred output on Yggy because it sounds better to my ears. Another reason I don't normally use the SE output is because I hear a 'pop' through my speakers every time it changes sample rates. It's done this ever since it was new. I wonder if this is related to the DC voltage? The BAL outputs are silent during sample rate changes.

I re-tested the SE outputs this morning and they both measured 0.0mV DC, but then I realised that although the Yggy was powered on it hadn't locked onto a signal (no sample rate LEDs were illuminated). So, I started playing some music and then stopped it, so that it would lock onto a signal, and the 1.61V / 1.01V DC voltage that I measured yesterday reappeared.

Can I therefore ask the Yggy owners who kindly measured their SE outputs yesterday to confirm that you measured it while the sample rate LEDs were illuminated? Can you also please confirm which digital input was selected?

After remeasuring the SE outputs I also checked the BAL outputs:
Lch: 0.0mV between Pins 1 and 2, 0.0mV between Pins 1 and 3, and 0.0mV between Pins 2 and 3.
Rch: 0.0mV between Pins 1 and 2, 0.0mV between Pins 1 and 3, and 0.0mV between Pins 2 and 3.
I havent read the entire issue, but have you sent this data to Schitt?

Aug 5, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #10,525 of 12,319
I havent read the entire issue, but have you sent this data to Schitt?
No, I'm planning to contact their UK distributor, ElectromodUK, who handles Schiit repairs in the UK, but I just want to make sure I'm armed with all the neccessary info on the fault. I'm going to test the optical and coax inputs to see if it's a 'system-wide' problem, if it's limited only to USB then hopefully it'll be an easier fix. I was thinking of upgrading to Unison anyway so that would kill two birds with one stone.

Aug 5, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #10,526 of 12,319
With relays engaged (sample rate LEDs illuminated), I see around 3mV DC (fluctuates a tiny bit).

I have an Yggy GS (A1) -- currently using the AES input. Yes, definitely worth trying optical to see if you see it happening there.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2021 at 10:04 PM Post #10,529 of 12,319
Hey fellas,

I need some suggestion regarding my next dac purchase. Im in the market for a non delta sigma high end dac. Just you give you guys a little bit of context, i m gonna briefly explain my situation. I basically have two setups. On one side, I have my Pontus 2 feed by a Hermes DDC, and the pontus 2 supplying my Feliks OTL amp. I consider this setup complete as I see no reason to change anything in the chain. I use this setup for my ZMF cans exclusively.

Now my other chain is my Bifrost 2 supplying the GSX mini via XLR and the Liquid Platinum via SE. I am satisfied with the performance of the BF2 but i feel like theres room for improvement. I think my pontus 2 provides more fuller sound, but unfortunately it can only run one set of output at a time. Other wise i would use that to supply both my mini and the Elise. Now i am itching for a new dac that can simultaneously power both xlr and SE.

I am torn between the Gungnir and Yggdrasil from schiit. I am also looking at Audio GD R8 MK2 but i have no idea about Audio GD products. Ive looked into Holo Audio products but they are a little bit out of my price range.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Aug 7, 2021 at 11:09 PM Post #10,530 of 12,319
Hey fellas,

I need some suggestion regarding my next dac purchase. Im in the market for a non delta sigma high end dac. Just you give you guys a little bit of context, i m gonna briefly explain my situation. I basically have two setups. On one side, I have my Pontus 2 feed by a Hermes DDC, and the pontus 2 supplying my Feliks OTL amp. I consider this setup complete as I see no reason to change anything in the chain. I use this setup for my ZMF cans exclusively.

Now my other chain is my Bifrost 2 supplying the GSX mini via XLR and the Liquid Platinum via SE. I am satisfied with the performance of the BF2 but i feel like theres room for improvement. I think my pontus 2 provides more fuller sound, but unfortunately it can only run one set of output at a time. Other wise i would use that to supply both my mini and the Elise. Now i am itching for a new dac that can simultaneously power both xlr and SE.

I am torn between the Gungnir and Yggdrasil from schiit. I am also looking at Audio GD R8 MK2 but i have no idea about Audio GD products. Ive looked into Holo Audio products but they are a little bit out of my price range.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

What about just finding some sort of output splitter for the Pontus 2? I believe the new Schiit Lokius can output both RCA and XLR, and you can flip a switch between them. Would a pretty nifty setup and gives you a nice analog EQ if you ever need it. This wouldn't necessarily work if you need sound actively playing from both amps simultaneously. But if you're just flipping through chains and headphones for your own personal listening, I think this could work well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back