Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jun 24, 2021 at 12:27 AM Post #10,486 of 12,304
damn the internet for normalizing crazy...

Yeah! Blame the crazy on the internet :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

pgwm3m.gif
oh-thom-yorke-3_o_383346.gif

Juuuust kidding!

180half_f.gif

Jun 24, 2021 at 12:44 AM Post #10,487 of 12,304
Jumping in this thread for the first time here! Long time lurker, first time caller.

I just took hold of a Yggy A2 with Unison after selling a Gumby/Mjo 2 stack. To my ears at 24 hours in, I think the Ygg is definitely more revealing, more ‘out of head,’ and more natural in its dynamic presentation. To explain that last part, I think one of the more unique parts of the Gumby’s presentation, at least when paired with the Mjo is an exciting, albeit sometimes over-the-top amount of slam! Definitely enjoyed the Gumby but enjoying the Yggy even more! Looking forward to what continued warm-up brings.

Yes - I remember you were selling your stack. I was trying buy your Gumby off you, haha :)

Jun 25, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #10,489 of 12,304
Alright alright! 3 days in and more impressions incoming, stream of conscience style:
  • This presentation includes bar-none, the best 'foundation' of any source component I've heard. I've read that a meaty low end is a hallmark of Mike Moffat designs and this certainly is that!
  • Along with the above, getting music from the Yggy has transformed my enjoyment of one of my headphones: the Grado PS2000e. The low end has filled out so well that I have listened to them more consecutively in the last 3 days ever since owning them.
  • There are quite a bit of clicks, bumps, and switching sounds... more than I've ever experienced before...
  • Overall, the word that keeps coming to mind is 'natural.' Yes, that's an incredibly overused and often nebulous word in audiophile world, but when I think of how music sounds when I'm in the room with live musicians, the Yggy is getting me closer than I've ever been. (Which, if you ask me, should be goal of all music-reproduction soft/hardware)
More to come, I'm sure!

EDIT: the low-light capture abilities of the iPhone 12 ain’t too shabby!

Attachments

• A72D6EDF-C351-4693-93AC-3187FB077AF4.jpeg
    A72D6EDF-C351-4693-93AC-3187FB077AF4.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 27, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #10,490 of 12,304
Does Yggdrasil's warm-up time become shorter over time? As recommended, I have left my Yggdrasil A2/Unison powered on almost constantly for the 1.5 years I've owned it. However we're in a heat wave right now...hit 104 yesterday and climbing higher today. And NO AC.....! Last night the Yggdrasil was screaming hot, so I took pity on it and powered it off overnight. This morning powered it back on and the music sounded outstanding! Nothing second-rate about it. So I am left wondering if maybe I don't need to leave it on constantly anymore for best sound? Curious for other's experiences with this.

Jun 27, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #10,491 of 12,304
This morning powered it back on and the music sounded outstanding! Nothing second-rate about it. So I am left wondering if maybe I don't need to leave it on constantly anymore for best sound?
I'm sorry it's so hot in the PNW now, but maybe the hot room temp is helping keep the Yggdrasil closer to its ideal operating temperature even while it's off?

Jun 27, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #10,492 of 12,304
Alright alright! 3 days in and more impressions incoming, stream of conscience style:
  • This presentation includes bar-none, the best 'foundation' of any source component I've heard. I've read that a meaty low end is a hallmark of Mike Moffat designs and this certainly is that!
  • Along with the above, getting music from the Yggy has transformed my enjoyment of one of my headphones: the Grado PS2000e. The low end has filled out so well that I have listened to them more consecutively in the last 3 days ever since owning them.
  • There are quite a bit of clicks, bumps, and switching sounds... more than I've ever experienced before...
  • Overall, the word that keeps coming to mind is 'natural.' Yes, that's an incredibly overused and often nebulous word in audiophile world, but when I think of how music sounds when I'm in the room with live musicians, the Yggy is getting me closer than I've ever been. (Which, if you ask me, should be goal of all music-reproduction soft/hardware)
More to come, I'm sure!

EDIT: the low-light capture abilities of the iPhone 12 ain’t too shabby!
are those different tubes?

Jun 27, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #10,494 of 12,304
Jun 27, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #10,496 of 12,304
Jun 28, 2021 at 12:33 AM Post #10,497 of 12,304
Does Yggdrasil's warm-up time become shorter over time? As recommended, I have left my Yggdrasil A2/Unison powered on almost constantly for the 1.5 years I've owned it. However we're in a heat wave right now...hit 104 yesterday and climbing higher today. And NO AC.....! Last night the Yggdrasil was screaming hot, so I took pity on it and powered it off overnight. This morning powered it back on and the music sounded outstanding! Nothing second-rate about it. So I am left wondering if maybe I don't need to leave it on constantly anymore for best sound? Curious for other's experiences with this.
Burn in (or whatever we want to call it) has been consistent for me with both YggyA and YggyB. They are clean, clear, and very neutral from the beginning. However, they lack true timbre, touch, and vitality (the reasons for me to own them) until at least a couple hundred hours on-time, with lots of processing. We recently moved and mine was boxed for a couple months. I definitely had to “start over”.

What was already mentioned makes sense though, in your case a very short duration shutdown combined with high room temp maintained thermal equilibrium.

Jun 28, 2021 at 7:18 AM Post #10,498 of 12,304
Jul 2, 2021 at 8:00 AM Post #10,500 of 12,304
Hey fellas, I've got a question for the panel:

My Ygg seems to emit a mechanical hum. I've read that this is likely caused by some sort of magnetic interference with the transformer(s). As you can see in my earlier post, the Mjo2 currently sits on top of the Ygg (component real estate is TIGHT at my place). I picked up a couple of iFi's DC blockers to try at the Schiit IECs to see if it the hum was caused by DC offset, and while I thought the problem was solved after a couple days, the hum is back just like it was before. Just to be clear, this is a hum coming from the Ygg itself - not through the signal chain/headphones. The hum stops when the unit is powered off, but resumes immediately upon powering up.

Any advice on how to rectify? Is it just a matter of component proximity?

PS - I should also mention that all of my desk components are plugged into a Brickwall audio surge protector.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back