Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
May 6, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #10,456 of 12,189
Interesting data point, ToTo. I don't have the ability to measure this with my Yggy GS atm, so I can't say, and my pre-amp is a 70's Pioneer Exclusive C3 with only SE inputs. I guess I could test this with my headphone amp, but that'd be a pain to setup for me. Maybe I'll give it a shot this weekend.

Speaking of vintage receivers... Is that a Yammy A-S3200 in your profile pic? It's gorgeous.

Attachments

• PXL_20210209_215751661.jpg
    PXL_20210209_215751661.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
May 6, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #10,457 of 12,189
Interesting data point, ToTo. I don't have the ability to measure this with my Yggy GS atm, so I can't say, and my pre-amp is a 70's Pioneer Exclusive C3 with only SE inputs. I guess I could test this with my headphone amp, but that'd be a pain to setup for me. Maybe I'll give it a shot this weekend.

Speaking of vintage receivers... Is that a Yammy A-S3200 in your profile pic? It's gorgeous.
Sharp eyes you have! It's an A-S3000, the 3200's predecessor. It's the first contemporary amp within budget to lure me away from the vintage Yamaha gear I was previously running (CR-1000 and CR-2020 receivers). That C3 is a beauty, I never knew of its existence until your post! It reminds me very much of the SA-9500 which I always lusted after. I eventually bagged myself an SX-1250 which is still on the sideboard of my old music room as it could do with a service but is too damn big and heavy to move without risking a hernia. Plus my local tech is up four flights of stairs with no elevator so I'd never make ascent!

May 6, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #10,458 of 12,189
Sharp eyes you have! It's an A-S3000, the 3200's predecessor. It's the first contemporary amp within budget to lure me away from the vintage Yamaha gear I was previously running (CR-1000 and CR-2020 receivers). That C3 is a beauty, I never knew of its existence until your post! It reminds me very much of the SA-9500 which I always lusted after. I eventually bagged myself an SX-1250 which is still on the sideboard of my old music room as it could do with a service but is too damn big and heavy to move without risking a hernia. Plus my local tech is up four flights of stairs with no elevator so I'd never make ascent!
Haha yeah, but the weight is directly proportional to its sound quality. :wink:

The contemporary Yamaha line has seriously made me contemplate selling this old gear and not have to deal with the quirks that come with vintage gear (like no balanced XLR inputs). But, at the same time, there's something about restoring old gear myself... taking something that used to be TOTL and breathing new life into it. Still, it can be a giant PITA lol. And it's super tempting to look at new tech like Technics SU-R1000 digital amp with modern DSP techniques.

But, the look, feel, and sound of this old Pioneer just makes me hesitant to ever get rid of it lol. I've not heard it though Yggy's XLR output to know if I'm missing anything... But, I can say that it does sound amazing even with the SE outputs. And this is with the Analog 1 boards. Super interested to see what analog 3 boards might bring.

May 10, 2021 at 7:31 AM Post #10,459 of 12,189
In this rather recent interview, the interviewer and Amir state that Schitt changed their QC and measurements because of Amir. Check out between 28 minutes and 36 minutes. The interview further states that Schitt products in general now measure better because Schitt obtained the Audio Precision measurement equipment. I'm glad I have the Yggy version 2 (B serial number)

May 10, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #10,460 of 12,189
The interview further states that Schitt products in general now measure better because Schitt obtained the Audio Precision measurement equipment.
That guy has a serious and undeserved god complex.

On a related note, my coffee cup now holds 350ml since I obtained a metric measuring cup.

May 10, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #10,461 of 12,189
@Ableza I didn't recognize you at first as you've changed your avatar :jecklinsmile:The point of my post is that Amir apparently does know what he's doing measurement wise, because Schitt has yielded to his way of thinking (i.e. bought an Audio Precision tester and is in communication with him so as to understand what/how to measure.

May 10, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #10,462 of 12,189
@Ableza I didn't recognize you at first as you've changed your avatar :jecklinsmile:The point of my post is that Amir apparently does know what he's doing measurement wise, because Schitt has yielded to his way of thinking (i.e. bought an Audio Precision tester and is in communication with him so as to understand what/how to measure.
Which is exactly what someone with a god complex would think.

May 10, 2021 at 6:05 PM Post #10,463 of 12,189
If true, it only increases my level of respect for Schiit. That being said, I have faith in Mike and Jason with their ability to discern the best tradeoffs between objectivity and subjectivity.

I just want my gear to sound great -- 'mostly' faithful reproduction of the source, but also providing a subjectively lifelike characteristic. The age old debate between objectivism and subjectivism rages on.... IMO, the optimal solution lies somewhere in the middle. Data should be used to validate a hypothesis (does this sound better), not as a universal truth on which to judge everything relative to one another. And this is coming from someone with a MS in ECE and who has spent time in data science & analytics within the enterprise space. :)

*Soap box end*

May 10, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #10,464 of 12,189
@sp33ls I agree with you that wanting gear to sound great is (paraphrasing) of primary concern. However, keep in mind that when the Yggy was first introduced, folks were in jubilation over how terrific it sounded. Low and behold a few years later, Schitt introduced an improvement (analog A to B board) and all of a sudden those with the "A" board at least believed it didn't quite sound as great as the Yggy with the "B" board. Nor did it (i.e. I had the "A" and upgraded to "B"). In fact Schitt marketed B as sounding better relative to A. If you think that measurements didn't play a large role in the reason for Schitt upgrading from A to B then you are certainly naive. My point here is that, ideally, manufacturers such as but not limited to Schitt, should be aiming for *both* great sound *and* great measurements. Even measurement data which is deemed to be inaudible should not just flippantly be dismissed. Of course, all of the aforementioned is my personal opinion which you and anyone else are entitled to disagree with. Happy listening. :smile_phones:

Last edited:
May 10, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #10,465 of 12,189
I've only heard bits and pieces of that story after it happened (I have the Yggy GS).

So, what you're saying is that Schiit took the feedback, and addressed some concerns regarding the A boards by releasing the 'analog 2/B' boards, and not only did they measure better, but most also agreed that they sound better?

May 10, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #10,467 of 12,189
I've only heard bits and pieces of that story after it happened (I have the Yggy GS).

So, what you're saying is that Schiit took the feedback, and addressed some concerns regarding the A boards by releasing the 'analog 2/B' boards, and not only did they measure better, but most also agreed that they sound better?
Precisely.

May 10, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #10,468 of 12,189

In reality the two things had nothing to do with one another - except perhaps in the mind of someone self-aggrandizing.

May 10, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #10,469 of 12,189
In reality the two things had nothing to do with one another - except perhaps in the mind of someone self-aggrandizing.
Yeah... this is how I interpreted it from the outside looking in after the fact.

But, I don't have the full story, and am always looking to learn more. :)

May 11, 2021 at 12:04 AM Post #10,470 of 12,189
Yggdrasil A1 -> A2 did not. However, for the low end of Schiit's line, the measurement kerfuffle had some influence: for those who obsess over mostly meaningless measurement differences, here are some low cost opamp boxes that measure great and sound good. Good business people do adjust to the market. But when you get above $2K for a DAC, what you are listening for — unless the DAC is fraudulent — is well beyond what standard measurements can capture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back