Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Sep 2, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #10,561 of 12,188
I can tell you I am extremely happy with the Lumin U1 mini feeding Yggdrasil . Can't speak to the other brands as I haven't heard them.
Very interesting. We have the same speakers and our amps are somewhat similar too (mine are hybrid). I am definitely leaning towards Lumin. Either u1 or the mini will try to audition both.

Sep 3, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #10,562 of 12,188
Thanks. I'm still deciding whether to upgrade to A2 and Unison USB. Mine is still gen 1 and was bought new in 2017. I have just bought the Bifrost 2 and thought it was a very lovely sounding dac ! Who knows by the time I decide to upgrade my Yggdrasil, it will be A3.
Sounds like "A3" may not happen, based on these new variations coming out.

Sep 3, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #10,565 of 12,188
It really is an amazing DAC....and I certainly could see it providing many more years of service :)

It hasn't skipped a bit and the 5 years warranty was never required. :) Mind you, my Yggdrasil is on all the time. The 4 years of usage in that time have truly tested out the dac. I did have a Schiit Eitr and that helps.

Sep 7, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #10,567 of 12,188
cc : @Jason Stoddard

Hello Yggdrasil phriends! It has been a while since I've posted. Believe it or not, I'm currently involved in a local (Long Island, NY) "DAC shootout" where I'm installing my Yggdrasil (version 2, B serial number, Gen 5 USB card) into other folks systems so as to compare, and in some cases folks have shown interest in buying the Yggy! To this end, I ran into a strange problem yesterday. Can someone please answer the following? BTW, I have also emailed Schiit (at their info@schiit.com address) but have yet to receive their reply.

I hooked up the Yggy dac to a system that has an mhdt orchid dac. The yggy recognizes a signal from an Innuos server, model zen mk3 streamer, but there's no output (sound). It's being fed through USB cable and I'm attempting to output via SE. There are no other options in order to do an apples to apples comparison as the amp here is a Pas INT25 and the mk3 is only USB. We rebooted equipment and changed server settings, including but not limited to setting the server to transcode DSD output to FLAC and set the PCM Sampling Rate Limit to 96kHz. Still no output.

Upon my reading the specs of zen mk3 I note it has only "digital USB 2.0 output". When I google the spec on digital USB 2.0 output, I find there are three different types of implementations, two of which are not PCM. I realize that the Yggy only plays PCM. Could this be the issue? Can anyone offer any insight and/or corroborate my thinking about the mk3 not outputting PCM? Note that if this is the case (not outputting PCM), the Yggy's sample rate indicator lights were on and did sense a signal, matching the sample rate that the server indicated. But again, there simply was no sound to be heard.

Thank you all in advance.

Hal

Sep 9, 2021 at 4:47 AM Post #10,569 of 12,188
Sep 9, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #10,572 of 12,188
I'm confused. Is Yggy OG the new name for Yggy Analog 2?
If you ask me, and I realize you haven't, the naming convention(s) of the Yggdrasil is rather "silly". Less is More, More is Less and OG :thinking::confused:

What Schiit ought to think about doing is bettering their "customer service", not a different flavor of the same product. If they wanted to better the measurement performance (which they claim they did, and even so they claim its relative to multibit DAC measurements, not "any kind of DAC" measurements), then just come out with an A3 version "besting" the existing A2 version, still using the AD5791 chip set.

Poor thinking on their part. Just my $.02. Yeah, I know, they have so much sales and so much stuff on back order that they really don't give a crap/Schiit.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #10,573 of 12,188
I guess I appreciate having options to choose from and not feeling like I am forced to upgrade to a newer, so called “better” product. Based on the descriptions so far, I don’t think I would be excited to immediately upgrade if the best-measuring More Is Less version was the only option. I’ll pay attention to the reviews and go from there.

Also, by not scrapping Yggy A2 (OG) they are protecting the investment for those of us who already own one. Most companies don’t even consider that.

Sep 9, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #10,574 of 12,188
The decision to introduce new, apparently 'better measuring' flavours of Yggy is intriguing. I wonder if it has anything to do with supply issues of the original DAC chips? Knowing how stubborn Mike about his designs is I'd be surprised if the likes of ASR are the sole motivation for introducing these new versions. After all, most people who buy an Yggy buy it because they like how it sounds, not because it scores highly on SINAD or whatever. You could argue that the lower pricing of the new models will attract more customers. However, if you can already afford to spend $2.2k or $2.35k on a DAC, then is it really that much of a problem to push your budget up to $2.6k for an A2?

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #10,575 of 12,188
The decision to introduce new, apparently 'better measuring' flavours of Yggy is intriguing. I wonder if it has anything to do with supply issues of the original DAC chips? Knowing how stubborn Mike about his designs is I'd be surprised if the likes of ASR are the sole motivation for introducing these new versions. After all, most people who buy a Yggy buy it because they like how it sounds, not because it scores highly on SINAD or whatever. You could argue that the lower pricing of the new models will attract more customers. However, if you can already afford to spend $2.2k or $2.35k on a DAC, then is it really that much of a problem to push your budget up to $2.6k for an A2?
Inflation is causing prices to rise across the board. And yes, I believe this has something to do with those AD DAC chips being a decade old and probably coming up to end of life before too long. And also programming them for a new A3 board... Probably decided it'd be best to go with newer chips.

I'd be interested to hear impressions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back