Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Sep 9, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #10,576 of 12,298
Is there a group (this forum) consensus that because the OG is the most expensive offering of the three, that it is "best" in terms of "how it sounds"? At the very least one should/could infer that, IMO.

Sep 9, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #10,577 of 12,298
https://www.schiit.com/products/yggdrasil-analog-2

Looks like the A2 board upgrade also increased in price from $650 to $750. And the other flavor boards will be available too. It would be awesome if these boards were self-install though...
And looks like the Schiit website is now updated with all the boards. It can be purchased for self-installation! Hmm now which one to order to upgrade from my A1 Yggy...

Sep 9, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #10,578 of 12,298
Is there a group (this forum) consensus that because the OG is the most expensive offering of the three, that it is "best" in terms of "how it sounds"? At the very least one should/could infer that, IMO.
Nope. That's not how HiFi works, unfortunately. I believe it costs more because the DAC chip itself costs more. Doesn't mean it sounds better. Just means Schiit has to adjust for costs.

TBH, I'd be impressed if anyone can honestly tell the difference in a blind test between these versions. At this level of performance, they'll all sound super clean, detailed, and have great filters for time domain.

If you're getting audionervosa because new versions came out -- don't. Even if the new board measures better, or "sounds" better, I doubt you can honestly call it an upgrade over your OG

Sep 9, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #10,579 of 12,298
And looks like the Schiit website is now updated with all the boards. It can be purchased for self-installation! Hmm now which one to order to upgrade from my A1 Yggy...
IMO, at this point - absent of any reviews, *certain* measurements, etc. - it's an assumption to believe that anything other than ordering the OG would be an "upgrade". True that....

Sep 9, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #10,580 of 12,298
since schiit just released two new versions of the YGGY along with the OG, which one is the best sounding of them all, i was gonna pull the trigger on the OG one before it became OG but now i am confused because the less is more version is stated to be the best sounding. Can anyone plz clarify?

Sep 9, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #10,581 of 12,298
Sep 9, 2021 at 9:13 PM Post #10,582 of 12,298
IMO, at this point - absent of any reviews, *certain* measurements, etc. - it's an assumption to believe that anything other than ordering the OG would be an "upgrade". True that....

since schiit just released two new versions of the YGGY along with the OG, which one is the best sounding of them all, i was gonna pull the trigger on the OG one before it became OG but now i am confused because the less is more version is stated to be the best sounding. Can anyone plz clarify?
Guys, read the latest Schiit Happened Chapter. All your questions will be answered and you'll get some links to click on for even more info

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-5448#post-16551622

TL;DR They aren't better, just different.

Sep 9, 2021 at 10:51 PM Post #10,583 of 12,298
With a lot of other brands you probably could assume that, but with Schiit you get a price relative to the cost to build.

The dac chips and IC based output stage in LIM and MIL are cheaper to build and thus you pay less. To some the discrete output stage in the OG is important but to get that you have to pay a bit more.

Reading the impressions that are out it seems like some prefer LIM and others OG, which is why Schiit couldn’t launch a definitive upgrade. It is a little confusing but I suspect as more reviews and impressions are out people will know which is right for them.

Sep 10, 2021 at 6:32 AM Post #10,584 of 12,298
.....Reading the impressions that are out it seems like some prefer LIM and others OG, which is why Schiit couldn’t launch a definitive upgrade. It is a little confusing but I suspect as more reviews and impressions are out people will know which is right for them.
New Schiit Yggdrasil Blind Listening Comparison
By The Computer Audiophile - September 2021
https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/bits-and-bytes/new-schiit-yggdrasil-blind-listening-comparison-r1045/

Sep 10, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #10,585 of 12,298
https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/bits-and-bytes/new-schiit-yggdrasil-blind-listening-comparison-r1045/

Fascinating. The Less is More version the best sounding by quite a margin?

I hope they made sure everything was absolutely the same between the three test setups. For instance, from long experience with USB cables I would wonder if there were even minor differences in brand, type, length, etc. between the 3 USB cables used to route the USB signal to the DACs from the MAC Mini. I have found that the sound is very sensitive to this, with the best sound going to certain very expensive high end cable designs. Another example is that the use or non-use or type of vibration damping and control devices on the DACs make a significant sonic difference, as does the use or non-use of shielding caps on unused chassis connectors. Of course, meter-reader types of "audiophiles" will scoff at this sort of concern.

In other words, subtle differences in associated equipment, accessories, etc. can make more than subtle differences to the sound, and since the listening in this test was definitely looking for subtle differences, these other factors needed to be equalized between the 3 test setups.

Has Schiit indicated whether they offer an upgrade/modification service to convert from the OG version to the Less is More?

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #10,586 of 12,298
All of this less is more and what not, seems super confusing to me. Are they saying the cheaper versions are better than the OG (from what I understand just another name for the A2) version?

I'll have to read into it more when I get some free time.

I haven't been using my 2nd Yggy right now (it's still the A1 version and it's just been sitting there), I've been enjoying the RME ADI 2 on the headphone rig instead. However, my main Yggy (A2) is still very much in use on the downstairs speaker rig and we all still enjoy it lots!!

Sep 10, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #10,587 of 12,298
All of this less is more and what not, seems super confusing to me. Are they saying the cheaper versions are better than the OG (from what I understand just another name for the A2) version?

I'll have to read into it more when I get some free time.

I haven't been using my 2nd Yggy right now (it's still the A1 version and it's just been sitting there), I've been enjoying the RME ADI 2 on the headphone rig instead. However, my main Yggy (A2) is still very much in use on the downstairs speaker rig and we all still enjoy it lots!!
You could consider buying the upgrade card from Schiit and installing yourself (if you're handy and comfortable enough) for your A1. You could pick the Less is More (16 bit) or More is Less (20 bit) option as a comparison against your A2.

Maybe then you'll find you use the spare Yggy more often. Just an option.

Sep 10, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #10,589 of 12,298
I wish they did a blind test with Bifrost 2 in the mix !
…or the incredi-value YggyGS.

They, of course, pulled it when introducing the less-more versions.

What fun! (Unless one has genuine audiophillia-nervosa). Jason’s latest is a great read. I don’t know of any other hi-fi company that is so transparent about what they’re doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back