Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jul 19, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #8,896 of 12,304
Let me rephrase then. I would say that I Strongly and Powerfully lean toward Jude, Atomicbob and Schiit...

And lean toward ASR and @amirm being full of it...

Jul 19, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #8,897 of 12,304
Agreed. That said, I essentially have written the same thing, albeit used the phrase "inclined to believe". So look out. Merely leaning could be grounds for catching some degree of ridicule from the likes of earnmyturns, Ableza, adydula, LouS, jseymour, or johnjen.

Well I ain't often right but I've never been wrong.

Scarlet Begonias
Grateful Dead

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, as are the folks you have issue with.

However.
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #8,898 of 12,304
For longer term differences, I refer you to the inferred jitter measurements for measurements posted for:

3 hours: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/yggdrasil-technical-measurements.764787/

408 hours: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/yggdrasil-technical-measurements.764787/page-3

Note two significant changes. Reduced jitter spurs and lower noise floor for the 408 hour measurements.
Can you comment on the significance of the different settings for each of the two measurements? Thank you!

20150430_Yggdrasil_inferred_jitter_1.jpg

20150517_Yggdrasil_inferred_jitter_1.jpg

Jul 19, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #8,900 of 12,304
So Alcophone when are you going to send your dac back to Schitt???
I should receive it tomorrow. I'm gonna make sure everything still works right and will do a blind A/B starting Monday by turning Yggy & DX7s on at the same time after having been off during the weekend. The DX7s will be fed via USB, the Yggy from the DX7s's coax out. The most practical solution. Actually, I can feed both DACs from the DX7s's coax out with a splitter and identical coax cables, the USB to Coax converter in the DX7s is completely independent from the rest of the device.
A friend will hook them both up to the Gustard H20 with identical XLR cables, and cover things up so I don't know which one is connected to which input.
Since the DX7s fades in its output after regaining a signal, and since the Yggy is a hair louder, I have to be careful. I won't simply switch back and forth, rather I'll pause the music, turn down the volume, switch, hit play, wait a few seconds, increase the volume and start the song again. Playing music while increasing the volume is necessary to set it, while also masking the H20's relay clicks to some extent.
I'll do that until I feel like I can identify the DACs again. Should be easy at some point based on the sound stage depth, but warmup is an unknown factor for both DACs. Since getting the H20, my Yggy has never been turned off for more than 30s or so, and I have never left the DX7s on for more than a few days (usually turn it off at night).

Once I'm satisfied with that, it's either off to Schiit, or off to @atomicbob or @jude if they are interested. Once it's back from Schiit there wouldn't be a point in someone else taking another measurement (other than Amir, I suppose) because the doubters will just claim Schiit fixed it the way they fixed Bob's and Jude's, at least if it measures better.

Jul 19, 2018 at 7:19 PM Post #8,902 of 12,304
Can you comment on the significance of the different settings for each of the two measurements? Thank you!

The first one shows D/A line-up as 8.49 dBu for 0 dBFS. This is the unbalanced output level.
Second is D/A line-up as 14.46 dBu for 0 dBFS. This is the balanced output, and correspondingly 6 dB higher in output.

The first one is from the set of measurements taken at 3 hours of on time. A comparison of jitter was made with the ODAC which immediately follows as can be seen here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/yggdrasil-technical-measurements.764787/
To avoid the unreasonable complaint that yggdrasil had an unfair advantage because of balanced outputs, the unbalanced output was used for the jitter measurement given ODAC is unbalanced output only.
Jitter isn't an attribute affected by balanced vs. unbalanced outputs.

Jul 19, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #8,903 of 12,304
*edit*

Once I'm satisfied with that, it's either off to Schiit, or off to @atomicbob or @jude if they are interested. Once it's back from Schiit there wouldn't be a point in someone else taking another measurement (other than Amir, I suppose) because the doubters will just claim Schiit fixed it the way they fixed Bob's and Jude's, at least if it measures better.
If the time frame fits into my schedule I might be able to make the measurements. However, I have an increasingly busy corporate calendar as I transition back into project responsibilities after recovery from cardiac surgery. Further, I can already hear the rationalizing from the doubters that if it measures well, it must obviously be due to the dScope being inferior to an APx555 because it cost less. At least @jude wouldn't get that complaint.

Jul 19, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #8,904 of 12,304
That would be awesome Bob....I trust your abilities and would be nice for you to measure Alcophones unit before Schitt has it....this could be a real eye opener....but I think Schitt should look at it seeing how they have been the target of all this stuff for so long....Jason offered to take a look at it and offered to pay for shipping and supply a loaner...now try that with an overseas vendor.

Just sayin...something to think about.

Alex

Jul 19, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #8,905 of 12,304
The first one shows D/A line-up as 8.49 dBu for 0 dBFS. This is the unbalanced output level.
Second is D/A line-up as 14.46 dBu for 0 dBFS. This is the balanced output, and correspondingly 6 dB higher in output.

The first one is from the set of measurements taken at 3 hours of on time. A comparison of jitter was made with the ODAC which immediately follows as can be seen here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/yggdrasil-technical-measurements.764787/
To avoid the unreasonable complaint that yggdrasil had an unfair advantage because of balanced outputs, the unbalanced output was used for the jitter measurement given ODAC is unbalanced output only.
Jitter isn't an attribute affected by balanced vs. unbalanced outputs.

That's interesting, because your Yggdrasil V2 measurements show different jitter (including sidebands) in the balanced vs SE graphs:
index.php

index.php

Sidebands show up in the SE graph and disappear in the balanced graph.

Jul 19, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #8,906 of 12,304
cheering%2Bminions.gif

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #8,907 of 12,304
That's interesting, because your Yggdrasil V2 measurements show different jitter (including sidebands) in the balanced vs SE graphs:
index.php

index.php

Sidebands show up in the SE graph and disappear in the balanced graph.
The two spurs to which you refer that differ between the two graphs, and are the ONLY major difference between the two graphs, are not equal in distance from the stimulus frequency and they differ in amplitude. Typically jitter spurs are both equal in distance from stimulus frequency and equal in amplitude. I maintain those two spurs, which are below -140 dBFS, are caused by something else in the system other than jitter.

*edit* for clarity of statements

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #8,909 of 12,304
For those not familiar, here is how jitter spurs appear. Notice the symmetry of spurs both in frequency and amplitude around the 11025 Hz stimulus EXCEPT, for example, the spur out at
approximately 13600 Hz with no pair at 8400 Hz. That spur is NOT jitter. There are a few other spurs that have no pair. They are not jitter spurs either.

Topping D30 spdif input - unbalanced output (only output) inferred jitter - 7 KHz bandwidth display:
20180708-09 D30 SE inferred jitter - 7 KHz BW - spdif - annotated.png

*edited* for grammar and clarity.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2018 at 12:47 AM Post #8,910 of 12,304
That would be awesome Bob....I trust your abilities and would be nice for you to measure Alcophones unit before Schitt has it....this could be a real eye opener....but I think Schitt should look at it seeing how they have been the target of all this stuff for so long....Jason offered to take a look at it and offered to pay for shipping and supply a loaner...now try that with an overseas vendor.

Just sayin...something to think about.

Alex

If "you know who" disassembled the unit and reassembled it, there is a good chance it will have to be serviced by Schiit regardless. After all, he did admit to bending the mainbroad of a Fulla by hand just to see how thick it was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back