Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jul 20, 2018 at 12:59 AM Post #8,911 of 12,398
If "you know who" disassembled the unit and reassembled it, there's a good chance it will have to be serviced by Schiit regardless. After all, he did admit to bending the mainbroad of a Fulla by hand just to see how thick it was.

Jul 20, 2018 at 8:29 AM Post #8,912 of 12,398
I would have NEVER sent a unit to this person.....who the heck knows what was done with it, especially after all this crap storm.

But this is in the past...I hope Alcophones unit is ok, but the only way to know is to let someone you can trust measure it and address
any anomalies found.

Alex

Jul 20, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #8,913 of 12,398
I hope Alcophones unit is ok
FedEx is doing a stellar job again. They are telling me it's now in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Which is totally on the way from Seattle to San Francisco, I'm sure. Not to worry, expected delivery is still end of day today. I believe them!

Edit: I spoke too soon, it is now in South San Francisco.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #8,914 of 12,398
If the time frame fits into my schedule I might be able to make the measurements. However, I have an increasingly busy corporate calendar as I transition back into project responsibilities after recovery from cardiac surgery. Further, I can already hear the rationalizing from the doubters that if it measures well, it must obviously be due to the dScope being inferior to an APx555 because it cost less. At least @jude wouldn't get that complaint.
Thanks, Bob, I appreciate it. Under the circumstances, I would suggest you take it easy! Sounds like a flamewar is the last thing you need right now. Take care!

Jul 20, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #8,915 of 12,398
Look who's back!

P_20180720_161357_vHDR_On_1.jpg

Jul 20, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #8,920 of 12,398
@earnmyturns Are you one of those folks who hears a difference when an ordinary fuse is reversed?
No. In any case, when I need critical gear comparisons, I ask my wife, who doesn't know or care about the gear itself, but can give reliable, detailed comparisons of sound quality. But I have no difficulty in noticing the difference between a just-switched-on Soekris dac1541, for example, and the same one day after being switched on.

Jul 20, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #8,923 of 12,398
FedEx is doing a stellar job again. They are telling me it's now in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Which is totally on the way from Seattle to San Francisco, I'm sure. Not to worry, expected delivery is still end of day today. I believe them!

Edit: I spoke too soon, it is now in South San Francisco.

Welcome to the Fedex What? club! :wink:

Jul 21, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #8,925 of 12,398
Setup for the blind A/B next week. A friend may or may not have swapped which DAC is connected to what input. It's now covered with a towel.

Don’t just start out completely random and then try to guess multiple randomly chosen devices.

Play A and then B and then the 3rd event is a random A or B. See if you can identify the random 3rd event repeatably. Repeat this say 10 times and see how many times you get the random 3rd event right.

I saw this method used on Computer Audiophile and makes sense to me. It gives your brain a recent frame of reference and is still is very scientific. Of course a precise volume match would be required.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back