Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Apr 22, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #8,011 of 12,201
It's best that you put "professional review" in parentheses, Darko has been losing the plot for a while, and that review is simply gibberish.

I agree with you completely, US Blues. And, given your user id, we likely completely agree on our music preferences. :)

Frankly, I would be more interested in reviewing technical measurement data. Particularly if the origin of the data came from Schiit. I'd also be interested in Schiit's response to any existing measurement data published by JA, atomicbob or amirm.

Apr 22, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #8,012 of 12,201
I agree with you completely, US Blues. And, given your user id, we likely completely agree on our music preferences. :)

Frankly, I would be more interested in reviewing technical measurement data. Particularly if the origin of the data came from Schiit. I'd also be interested in Schiit's response to any existing measurement data published by JA, atomicbob or amirm.

Yes, our root preferences are the same. We are everywhere.

Baldr, I believe, has pointed to atomicbob's measurements. Jason responded to JA and explained why his test methods were inadequate to Ragnarok's design. As for the other guy, Baldr dismissed him quite decisively, and rightly so.

I want a reviewer who can give me a meaningful context for understanding how something sounds and performs. Darko compared the Yggy 2 to something at 3 times the price, and found it lacking. That's not helpful to a real-world buyer. But Darko likes Class D amps, which is a good point of reference for his musical perceptivity.

Apr 22, 2018 at 10:08 PM Post #8,013 of 12,201
My poor Yggy A1 sounds like it has a head cold after being turned off for over 2 weeks with all my other audio gear while I traveled. I know, its electronic sinuses will clear with power, but on most previous trips I had not listened to it right after turning it back on.

Apr 22, 2018 at 11:34 PM Post #8,014 of 12,201
My poor Yggy A1 sounds like it has a head cold after being turned off for over 2 weeks with all my other audio gear while I traveled. I know, its electronic sinuses will clear with power, but on most previous trips I had not listened to it right after turning it back on.

Is there any DAC that performs as well as the Yggydrasil without needing days of being left on?

Apr 23, 2018 at 12:12 AM Post #8,015 of 12,201
Yes, our root preferences are the same. We are everywhere.

Baldr, I believe, has pointed to atomicbob's measurements. Jason responded to JA and explained why his test methods were inadequate to Ragnarok's design. As for the other guy, Baldr dismissed him quite decisively, and rightly so.

I want a reviewer who can give me a meaningful context for understanding how something sounds and performs. Darko compared the Yggy 2 to something at 3 times the price, and found it lacking. That's not helpful to a real-world buyer. But Darko likes Class D amps, which is a good point of reference for his musical perceptivity.

Another Blues fan here! And I would like to shamelessly plug a thread here dedicated to The Blues.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/got-the-blues.794956/page-60

Apr 23, 2018 at 1:28 AM Post #8,016 of 12,201
Is there any DAC that performs as well as the Yggydrasil without needing days of being left on?
At these levels of performance, generally they all need to be left on, or turned on and left running for hours before delivering peak performance.
And all of the rest of them are many times more expensive.

And you don't have to leave it on 24/7 for them to deliver decent SQ.
But if you want to hear any dac it's best, at this peak level of performance, being left on to maintain thermal and operational stability is pretty much standard operating procedure.

After all the Jggy is among the very best available today, and as such, certain compromises come with the territory.

JJ

Apr 23, 2018 at 7:02 AM Post #8,017 of 12,201
My Holo Spring is not too far from the Yggy A1, it doesn't seem to need as much warm-up but it needs some. I was not complaining, just remarking on something that others had reported but that I had not experienced this clearly. When I got it originally, I had to travel for a week but my wife was at home so I left the Yggy on, and when I got back it was its wonderful self.

Apr 23, 2018 at 7:43 AM Post #8,018 of 12,201
Got my Yggy today and I'm happy to report that there are no USB issues with the 5K iMac, waking from sleep or otherwise.

I repurposed my Gungnir too -- ended up with a Raspberry PI 2 + Hifiberry Digi+ > SPDIF RCA to BNC > Gungnir > WA6 > TH-900. I shouldn't be at this point, but nonetheless, I was shocked at the improvement of the Gungnir over the built-in DACs in my Marantz SR6007. It's been a very good sounding day!
Gorgeous stuff right there...

Apr 23, 2018 at 7:45 AM Post #8,019 of 12,201
Apr 23, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #8,021 of 12,201

Not as lifeless as my Yggy-B on day one I'll bet. Pretty much a clean $159 dac. Like you, I know what they sound like; the "A" I really liked went to a new owner.

Music got REAL on day 9-10. The Yggy "light switch" at a point in time saying "OK, you can enjoy music now" is more dramatic than anything I've experienced with any other component. IMO YMWV

Apr 23, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #8,022 of 12,201
Not as lifeless as my Yggy-B on day one I'll bet. Pretty much a clean $159 dac. Like you, I know what they sound like; the "A" I really liked went to a new owner.

Music got REAL on day 9-10. The Yggy "light switch" at a point in time saying "OK, you can enjoy music now" is more dramatic than anything I've experienced with any other component. IMO YMWV

Wow, for real?? That is helpful to know so I won't get disappointed. I have a new Yggy B on the way. I will just feed music for 9-10 days before seriously listening.
So, hopefully you like your B now better than A?

Apr 23, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #8,023 of 12,201
snip

So the shift, from ok to 100%, was that dramatic?

That IS really good news.
That tells me the total net effect of 'settling in' is even greater and more pronounced than from the A version.
Of course after learning what the A version can deliver, ie after getting dialed into what to listen for, it should make it easier to notice these 2nd generational changes all the more.
Way Kewl!

And the upgrade cue does seem to (at least) have doubled it's thruput after the 'Great Pause of 2018' :ksc75smile:

Which in turn means next month I'll be gett'n that email. :beerchug:

JJ

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #8,024 of 12,201
I just got back on Dante AES feed. Had it on Gen 5 for several days. So not enough listening, not "crushing" my "A", which I really liked for 3+ years & many many hours. And your comments, JJ, about Gen 5 seem right on to me, it's very good, no outboard USB implementations needed, IMO.

Glad to hear the queue is ramping up to freeway speed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back