Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Apr 17, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #7,996 of 12,194
Hopefully not done yet. But I'm not working that hard at it, in fact running through Gen 5 now, and it sounds better, I think, than the USB interfaces I used previously (bel canto was the last). I again listened to Bill Frisell's new 'Music IS' album, and it's "guitars in room" for sure. (Tidal streamed)

Don't know about very bottom end, but acoustic bass has touch, and drums are felt. Guess I'll have to grab a Telarc. (1812?)

In a few days, I'll go back to Dante Ethernet, queue a fistful of albums, and see how much smiling happens. My chain has been unchanged since late 2016, so even unit to unit variations in a couple of Yggy-A might well be noticeable.
Ah, I see now.
You're using the USB input, and not the AOIP feed.

That would explain (at least to me) why the REALNESS factor has backed off a tad.

And another Telarc album to explore the very bottom end with is Ein Straussfest.
It has LOTS of percussion (shotguns, pistols, etc.)
The concussive effects are most impressive.
Explosions Polka (the first track) starts out with a bang, from silence, so be careful with the volume and make sure you're sitting down. :ksc75smile:

JJ

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #7,997 of 12,194
6 days in, the new Yggy-B is not as "real" (timbre, touch, empty hall sound of silence) as my original Yggy-A. So, a non-answer to your question. But suffering with an "old" Yggy for a while is pretty great. :L3000:

Thumbs up on a silver anniversary in Greece!!!

Given the notoriously long warm up time on the dac chips for the yggy to get to peak SQ I think impressions before that point are of limited value.

Apr 17, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #7,998 of 12,194
Given the notoriously long warm up time on the dac chips for the yggy to get to peak SQ I think impressions before that point are of limited value.
Didn’t think of that as it was a full week for my new Yggy was at its peek so you could be right.

Apr 17, 2018 at 8:34 PM Post #7,999 of 12,194
FWIW various large published reviewers have noted improvements ending at about ~month of warm up time. I guess 25lbs + aluminum chassis and 25w power consumption has its downside?

Apr 17, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #8,000 of 12,194
I am having the same issue. It is annoying and concerning at the same time. Today, I wanted to reboot it because I haven't for a while. Just by touching the top with my hand made it click and blink as if small electric shock from my hand caused it. Could this be damaging or harmful? I never had this problem before I got the Eitr. Does this happen with USB and Analog 2 upgraded Yggy as well?

I have been having this very issue ever since I introduced the Eitr into my system. I have never had this problem with any other component. It leads me to suspect that the Eitr may have some grounding issues. When I touch my amp or any other device in my chain, even my speaker driver covers, there is static discharge, and a click like when the sample rates change.

I've since ordered the Gen 5 but am yet to install it. My hope is that this takes care of the problem.

Apr 17, 2018 at 8:41 PM Post #8,001 of 12,194
I have been having this very issue ever since I introduced the Eitr into my system. I have never had this problem with any other component. It leads me to suspect that the Eitr may have some grounding issues. When I touch my amp or any other device in my chain, even my speaker driver covers, there is static discharge, and a click like when the sample rates change.

I've since ordered the Gen 5 but am yet to install it. My hope is that this takes care of the problem.

Are you planning on leaving it alone or do something about it? Curious to see what Schiit customer service would say... I wish I knew more about this kind of thing but my line of work is not even remotely related and pretty much clueless. Not even sure if it would be damaging to the Yggy in the long run. HELP!!

Apr 17, 2018 at 9:34 PM Post #8,002 of 12,194

The Gen 5 will certainly solve the problem. I had the Eitr before getting the Gen 5, and it used to make my Yggy click and flash like crazy.... The Gen 5 upgrade put an end to all of that... Curiously though, using the Eitr with my Metrum Acoustics Hex Dac reduced the clicking and flashing to almost zero! The Eitr was playing far nicer with the Metrum Dac, so now, that where it stays.

Apr 17, 2018 at 11:21 PM Post #8,003 of 12,194
I too had the clicking issue, which was pronounced.
I found out that I had a wiring error in my balanced signal cables which caused a susceptibility to ground surges, of even very slight voltages.

Once I fixed that problem, the clicking stopped.

JJ

Apr 17, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #8,004 of 12,194
Here what the creator of Eitr had to say about this issue: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/wha...n-robert-hunter.784471/page-263#post-13637628
And Eitr is not grounded.

Apr 18, 2018 at 2:52 AM Post #8,005 of 12,194

Yep, just casual comments about running it in. This time I know what a Yggy sounds like, so I may be spending too much time "watching for the water to boil." :kissing_smiling_eyes:

Apr 18, 2018 at 5:15 AM Post #8,006 of 12,194
Eitr is know for that. After several complaints Mike wrote a paragraph about this issue. He said basically it's the way it is. It was either in the Eitr threat or Mike's thread.
I do find it peculiar though that my Eitr hasn't given me a single issue in the 9 months I've had it paired with my Bifrost 4490. Perhaps the Yggy is more sensitive to this?

ToTo Man, respectfully I believe you are over-thinking this and in fact may not have any issue at all (with the Yggy lights). I think your next step is to sit back and listen and draw a conclusion as to how the Yggy sounds.
That said.... if you want to troubleshoot further by all means.... try this.... power off Yggy (heavens no :) .... then power on... inspect the VCO/VCXO light and count how many flashes (including the initial steady on) before it goes out. I shall compare your number to mine....
I have since discovered a more significant issue. Whenever Yggy locks onto a signal and the relevant sample rate LEDs blink/click (which happens every time I use the stop/start button in Audirvana+ or whenever a track with a different sample rate is selected), it sends a loud 'thump' through my speakers. It only does this through the SE outputs, not the Balanced outputs, and only when I'm on the Coax input using Eitr as source. When I switch to Yggy's USB input there are no 'thumps' (or only very rarely). So again, the finger of blame appears to be pointing at Eitr. It's still a bit puzzling though as the Eitr/Bifrost combination gives me no problems at all.

As a final observation, when I listen through the SE outputs, I also get a 'thump' each time I cycle through the active inputs on Yggy (not just Coax). There are once again no 'thumps' when listening through the Balanced outputs.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018 at 7:35 AM Post #8,008 of 12,194
Did anyone compare the Yggy to the Mosaic T-Dac? I have heard the Mosaic as well Gumby but never been able to compare to the Yggy
So... How's the Mosaic compared to the Gumby?

Apr 22, 2018 at 7:37 AM Post #8,010 of 12,194

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back