Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Apr 16, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #7,981 of 12,298
Thanks for that (no one hurt in the crash). Still might have to wait on the Analog upgrade. I've loved my yggy for over two years now and if it gets better with the Gen 5 might have to live with that for a bit. Do have a few headphones that i don't listen to that much so it could happen but all will wait till i get back from vacation have a Mojo to hold me over.

6 days in, the new Yggy-B is not as "real" (timbre, touch, empty hall sound of silence) as my original Yggy-A. So, a non-answer to your question. But suffering with an "old" Yggy for a while is pretty great. :L3000:

Thumbs up on a silver anniversary in Greece!!!

Apr 16, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #7,982 of 12,298
My troubleshooting so far indicates that the blinking sample rates happen when I power on other devices at the wall receptacles (computer, TV, lamp, etc), when the Yggy's coax input is selected. It doesn't happen on USB. This would suggest an issue with the Coax input or, perhaps more likely, an issue with the coax source (Eitr). Next step is to dig out my old Pioneer CD player and connect it to Yggy via coax to see if I can replicate the issue with Eitr removed from the chain.

I am having the same issue. It is annoying and concerning at the same time. Today, I wanted to reboot it because I haven't for a while. Just by touching the top with my hand made it click and blink as if small electric shock from my hand caused it. Could this be damaging or harmful? I never had this problem before I got the Eitr. Does this happen with USB and Analog 2 upgraded Yggy as well?

Apr 16, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #7,983 of 12,298
Quick question. Thinking about buying an Yggdrasil. I know the yggdrasil is shipped/sold without a remote control. But is it controllable with a remote (for instance a programmable logitech harmony)? I could not find any information on that.

Scanspeakman

Apr 16, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #7,984 of 12,298
Nope it has neither, an ir or rf receiver. It really only has one button on the font though, so you could rig something up to push that if you were really determined.

Apr 17, 2018 at 2:53 AM Post #7,986 of 12,298
6 days in, the new Yggy-B is not as "real" (timbre, touch, empty hall sound of silence) as my original Yggy-A. So, a non-answer to your question. But suffering with an "old" Yggy for a while is pretty great. :L3000:

So would you say it is done 'settling in' yet?
What about the 'moisture on their breath', is it as palpable?
And have you noticed any changes on the very bottom end?

I'm hoping that the change to the REALNESS factor is minor, since that truly significant acoustic trait is so compelling.

And I wonder if that reduction in REALNESS is due to the newly added bit of dithering.
Because when I turned off dithering in JRiver the REALNESS factor took a step up.

JJ

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2018 at 6:13 AM Post #7,987 of 12,298
I am having the same issue. It is annoying and concerning at the same time. Today, I wanted to reboot it because I haven't for a while. Just by touching the top with my hand made it click and blink as if small electric shock from my hand caused it. Could this be damaging or harmful? I never had this problem before I got the Eitr. Does this happen with USB and Analog 2 upgraded Yggy as well?

Not meaning or wanting to be an alarmist, but the answer to your first question is "yes", it *could* be damaging or harmful. You may want to check your electrical grounding in general. Also, you should email Schiit support and ask,IMO.

Apr 17, 2018 at 7:16 AM Post #7,988 of 12,298
Quick question. Thinking about buying an Yggdrasil. I know the yggdrasil is shipped/sold without a remote control. But is it controllable with a remote (for instance a programmable logitech harmony)? I could not find any information on that.

Scanspeakman
I had the same issue of not having remote control in my system. I fixed that by adding a Tortuga LDR passive preamp between my Yggy and my tube preamp. It works extremely well and has balance control.

I hope to soon replace both my excellent Linear Tube Audio MicroZotl and Tortuga with LTA's new full function preamp that includes remote.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #7,989 of 12,298

I'm hoping that the change to the REALNESS factor is minor, since that truly significant acoustic trait is so compelling.

And I wonder if that reduction in REALNESS is due to the newly added bit of dithering.
Because when I turned off dithering in JRiver the REALNESS factor took a step up.

JJ
Hopefully not done yet. But I'm not working that hard at it, in fact running through Gen 5 now, and it sounds better, I think, than the USB interfaces I used previously (bel canto was the last). I again listened to Bill Frisell's new 'Music IS' album, and it's "guitars in room" for sure. (Tidal streamed)

Don't know about very bottom end, but acoustic bass has touch, and drums are felt. Guess I'll have to grab a Telarc. (1812?)

In a few days, I'll go back to Dante Ethernet, queue a fistful of albums, and see how much smiling happens. My chain has been unchanged since late 2016, so even unit to unit variations in a couple of Yggy-A might well be noticeable.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #7,990 of 12,298
I'm one of the many who have put off upgrading, not because of the wait line, but because I wanted to see a good sample size of reactions first.
Maybe it's just me but my early take is that, in balance, the response up to this point has been somewhat lukewarm. Guess I'm surprised...but it is still early.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #7,991 of 12,298
Other benefit of waiting is if they decide to offer Gadget functionality as a upgrade board in existing DACs.

Apr 17, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #7,992 of 12,298

JJ

How do you turn off dithering in JRiver? I see no options for it in the menus.

Apr 17, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #7,993 of 12,298

Thanks I think I will just do the Gen 5 for now then.

Apr 17, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #7,994 of 12,298
Apr 17, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #7,995 of 12,298
The dithering control in JRiver is found in this path…
TOOLS > Options > Audio (on left) > Advanced (on right, at bottom) > Dither Mode.

JJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back