Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Apr 26, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #8,041 of 12,283
Those who are out in the quest of finding best digital transport, please give this a try and you will, most probably, never look back. Those who have been changing their transport for incremental benefits, will just realize that 'yes, this is what I wanted'.

http://www.zackelectronics.com/rdl-...YP2dQ72gtAAefqID4H-0TCniYcrhaLx0aAuFhEALw_wcB

Also, if you aren't using AES on Yggy, you are not using this DAC to its full potential.
I have seen this before, but it doesn't support 176 or 192 kHz sample rates, so: not good enough.

Apr 26, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #8,043 of 12,283
Those who are out in the quest of finding best digital transport, please give this a try and you will, most probably, never look back. Those who have been changing their transport for incremental benefits, will just realize that 'yes, this is what I wanted'.

http://www.zackelectronics.com/rdl-...YP2dQ72gtAAefqID4H-0TCniYcrhaLx0aAuFhEALw_wcB

Also, if you aren't using AES on Yggy, you are not using this DAC to its full potential.

I've had my Mutec for about two years now. It's been well powered with a Running Springs Haley using a Verastarr Grand Illusion PC. I've had it connected to the Yggy using an Audience AU24SE AES cable. I was happy with this setup when I had my Yggy-DNA Stratus - Hifiman HE-1000 setup.

However after switching to a speaker setup and experimenting with the Eitr (Audience AU24SE SPDIF cable to make the comparison fair), the Mutec revealed itself to have a mechanical sound signature. No such complaint with the Eitr besides some weird grounding issues. After installing the USB Gen 5, which to me sounds even better than the Eitr, to my ears, this is the path to take.

Perhaps, if I was using a transport that had both a USB and AES output then the AES input of the Yggy may be the consensus way to go, but in most cases, it's not that simple of a decision. I am looking to experiment with using an LPS with my Mutec by modding it as a last ditch effort to see if it will surpass the Gen 5 USB.

Apr 26, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #8,044 of 12,283

Non-auto switching sample rate and only up to 96kHz?? These are limited devices.......and Dante can be a pain. I am not at all interested.

Apr 26, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #8,045 of 12,283
Non-auto switching sample rate and only up to 96kHz?? These are limited devices.......and Dante can be a pain. I am not at all interested.
Yup, I can understand if you collection consists of multiple sample rates. For me, all my CDs are ripped at 44.1 and rest is Pandora and Apple music. I was just sharing my experience since it was such an eye-opener for me and I too contemplated for a long time before spending money on this.

Apr 26, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #8,046 of 12,283
Also, if you aren't using AES on Yggy, you are not using this DAC to its full potential.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree....big leap in performance going from USB to my Audiobyte Hydra Z DDC now furnishing AES to my Yggy! With my volume set to produce music in the 88-90db range...between cuts I still show a 33db quietness with the system running!!! 55db+ Signal to noise ratio!!!

Apr 26, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #8,047 of 12,283
One aspect to note is that if you are using a Jggy (or any of the multibit dacs) the lower sample rate feeds can work better.
Which means these Dante devices with 96KHz sample rate limitations, fit perfectly, as the higher SR's seldom need to be used.

Also removing the SMPS's inside the Mutec 3's and powering them with a LPS will yield significant improvements as well.
The digititus factor is significantly reduced and in multiple ways.

JJ

Apr 26, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #8,048 of 12,283

I certainly agree about Dante and AES.

Remember that this unit will need a POE(power over ethernet) power supply, preferably an LPS. For more money the Focusrite Rednet devices are remarkable. I use a D16 in my speaker system.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2018 at 11:31 PM Post #8,049 of 12,283
IMO. AES vs USB Gen5 is just flavouring to match the rest of your system. USB Gen 5 is a little more focused and precise. AES a little more relaxed and slightly rounder.

Both coming out of my Aries G2.

Apr 27, 2018 at 12:51 AM Post #8,050 of 12,283
For me, in late 2016, the Dante Ethernet to AES was less "flavor" than the many USB implementations I had tried at that point. The Yggy timbre & texture, graceful and natural dynamic flow, and real instruments in space remained, but the noise (that I didn't know existed until it was gone) dropped. The "black background" cliche came true.

Now, 17 days into Yggy-B, I'll spend time with the excellent Gen 5 USB and the same Dante setup and see where I land.

Apr 27, 2018 at 1:24 AM Post #8,051 of 12,283
I think it comes down, as in most things, to what each individual hears. I was trying provide a counterpoint to the assertion that AES categorically bests Gen 5. @gefski provided his datapoint using the same device with both AES and Gen 5 output. I have a Mutec and for two years have output AES to the Yggy. Gen 3 USB left a lot to be desired but since the arrival of Eitr/Gen 5 it's easy to see that they are now competitive. I've invested a lot in my Mutec MC3+ USB and its accompanying power cord and AES cable - I was bent on believing my investments had merit, like most of us are wont to do when were spend a lot of time down a rabbit hole, however, the Eitr and Gen 5 have trounced it in my setup. It is important that all feedback is considered regarding Gen 5 vs AES so that people do their due diligence to determine which they prefer. Absolute statements like "Also, if you aren't using AES on Yggy, you are not using this DAC to its full potential." shouldn't be the way to approach things.

Apr 27, 2018 at 1:50 AM Post #8,052 of 12,283
I think it comes down, as in most things, to what each individual hears. I was trying provide a counterpoint to the assertion that AES categorically bests Gen 5. @gefski provided his datapoint using the same device with both AES and Gen 5 output. I have a Mutec and for two years have output AES to the Yggy. Gen 3 USB left a lot to be desired but since the arrival of Eitr/Gen 5 it's easy to see that they are now competitive. I've invested a lot in my Mutec MC3+ USB and its accompanying power cord and AES cable - I was bent on believing my investments had merit, like most of us are wont to do when were spend a lot of time down a rabbit hole, however, the Eitr and Gen 5 have trounced it in my setup. It is important that all feedback is considered regarding Gen 5 vs AES so that people do their due diligence to determine which they prefer. Absolute statements like "Also, if you aren't using AES on Yggy, you are not using this DAC to its full potential." shouldn't be the way to approach things.

I agree with all this, especially the last sentence.

Just to be clear, I ONLY did a comparison between the Dante Ethernet interface and the various USB interfaces, cleaners, etc. I had used by late 2016 (too many). I found it clearly to be my preference. So, as you suggest, I also don't have broad claims about AES vs USB in general.

Apr 27, 2018 at 1:54 AM Post #8,053 of 12,283
My Emotiva ERC-3 CD player is hooked up to the YGGY via AES, and my Ultrarendu (powered by Uptone LPS-1) is hooked up to the Yggy via the Gen 5 USB, and they both rock in their own way, although the Ultrarendu sees more play time because it is also one of my Roon endpoints and streams music from my NAS as well. Neither the CD/AES solution nor the Ultrarendu/Gen 5 USB ever sound remotely underwhelming to me in performance... But I also gladly confessed that I have never felt the need to A/B them. I'm happy with the setup as it is now.

Apr 27, 2018 at 2:43 AM Post #8,054 of 12,283
I've mentioned previously that the Gen-5 upgrade brought up the performance of USB to 'acceptable' levels in comparison my majorly modded AOIP setup I am running now.
It is WAY better than my previous USB attempts.
Good enough such that I now consider USB to be a standby or secondary source of music if/when the need arises.

And note that my comments are strictly and exclusively based upon my setup.
Which, in my opinion is really the only way to evaluate any gear, that being in your own system and over an extended period of time.

While there is a slight difference between the internal vs external Gen-5 USB implementation, they both fall short of the overall acoustic presentation that a well implemented AOIP setup can deliver.
Those who have explored this sometimes refer to this overall change as REALNESS, as in, the acoustic image the minds eye creates, based upon what we hear, is moar real, moar involving, moar engaging, moar - grab your attention and awareness and then, not let go.

I probably should do the comparison again because of 2 recent tweaks that have been added, to see if and how the gap has changed.
And if I were really 'fair' I could run the Gen-5 SPDIF output thru both of my Mutec 3's then into my Jggy to see what if any changes that makes as well.

But, well, except for one thing.
I'd much rather just listen than fuss, and concentrate, and document etc.
As it is I'm pushing myself to finish 2 other major projects, before I take on another.

I guess my point is after a while the music can just suck you into it, and audio nervousa (or any variations upon that theme) just sorta melts away.

Which if your aim is to listen to music, this just might sound like music to your ears (ya like how I did that? :L3000:) :ksc75smile:

JJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back