Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Feb 19, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #7,426 of 12,398
For those of you that hear a 'grey' background on the Yggdrasil, are any of you using high quality power treatment? My system before and after a power regen was put in-line was very different. I just want to make sure this greyness isn't the result of less than ideal power.

Feb 19, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #7,427 of 12,398
I just ordered a new yggy. Well I ordered it on 2/8/18. The site says in stock, shipping in 3-5 business days. Today the responded to my inquire about when it would be shipping by saying 1-2 more weeks. For a total time from order being placed to shipment of 15 business days. Hardly 3-5 as the site says. While I understand they are busy with upgrades, a little better estimate on the site would be helpful. Oh well, in the long run I'm sure I will be happy with it.

Feb 19, 2018 at 4:51 PM Post #7,428 of 12,398
For those of you that hear a 'grey' background on the Yggdrasil, are any of you using high quality power treatment? My system before and after a power regen was put in-line was very different. I just want to make sure this greyness isn't the result of less than ideal power.

I have very clean power as I use a .0005pF interwinding capacitance Topaz isolation transformer wired to provide balanced power.

I didn’t notice Yggdrasil’s grey background until I heard a DAC with a blacker background. It’s not something that is particularly bothersome as far as I am concerned. The new version of Yggdrasil is supposed to be much better in this regard. Either way, it’s not an issue that would drive my DAC choice.

Feb 19, 2018 at 5:50 PM Post #7,429 of 12,398
Has anyone tried Yggdrasil with Vali 2?

Currently running HD800's with Mimby/Vali 2 and am very pleased with the combo, but was debating upgrade paths. Debating the pro's/cons of Yggy + Vali 2 vs. Mjolnir 2 + Mimby.

Feb 19, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #7,430 of 12,398
Has anyone tried Yggdrasil with Vali 2?

Currently running HD800's with Mimby/Vali 2 and am very pleased with the combo, but was debating upgrade paths. Debating the pro's/cons of Yggy + Vali 2 vs. Mjolnir 2 + Mimby.

I have but why in the world would you? It would be silly to spend $2400 on a DAC and only $150 on a headphone amp. I would go for the Mimby/MJ2 combination then upgrade top Yggdrasil when you can afford it.

Feb 19, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #7,431 of 12,398
Sure. Vali 2 + Ygg would be a bit of an egret on an elephant. But say you're not thinking about the weird cost difference.

The case I was making in my head was the Yggy clarity difference would be more noticeable on the HD800 than the power/balanced difference of the Mjolnir 2.

Apples to oranges perhaps

Feb 19, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #7,432 of 12,398

I cannot speak to that precisely, but AC noise did give me high frequency noise which made high pitched sound harsh on my Yggy version B.

Feb 19, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #7,433 of 12,398
I just ordered a new yggy. Well I ordered it on 2/8/18. The site says in stock, shipping in 3-5 business days. Today the responded to my inquire about when it would be shipping by saying 1-2 more weeks. For a total time from order being placed to shipment of 15 business days. Hardly 3-5 as the site says. While I understand they are busy with upgrades, a little better estimate on the site would be helpful. Oh well, in the long run I'm sure I will be happy with it.

I put in my update order a month ago. I was 58 then and am 35 now. Based upon my place in the queue for the analog update they are only moving a bit over one upgrade per day so that is probably not the bottleneck. Perhaps they are waiting on parts?

Whatever it is it will be worth your wait. I could gladly live with my Yggy as it is now even without any updates.

Feb 19, 2018 at 10:21 PM Post #7,434 of 12,398
How do you view the que? Not sure if a new order would be in it, but interesting to see how fast things are moving.

Feb 20, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #7,435 of 12,398
How do you view the que? Not sure if a new order would be in it, but interesting to see how fast things are moving.

I received an email with a web link when I placed the order. It seems to be specific to my order and so just shows my position which generally indicates progress each business day.

It currently shows a total of 178 and has been increasing.

Feb 20, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #7,436 of 12,398
That grey background is all the plankton which is the miniscule details that you've been missing........ :ksc75smile:

Feb 20, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #7,437 of 12,398
I have very clean power as I use a .0005pF interwinding capacitance Topaz isolation transformer wired to provide balanced power.

I didn’t notice Yggdrasil’s grey background until I heard a DAC with a blacker background. It’s not something that is particularly bothersome as far as I am concerned. The new version of Yggdrasil is supposed to be much better in this regard. Either way, it’s not an issue that would drive my DAC choice.
Right, you cannot feel the difference until you hear some quieter DACs. This does not mean that Yggy isn't quiet...probably designer chose it to have that kind of rendition. At the same time, also note that the quieter ones, at times did sound unnaturally clean. Yggy still carries some magic. Mine is coming back from A2 upgrade soon post which I will try to share some more impressions.

Feb 20, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #7,438 of 12,398
Right, you cannot feel the difference until you hear some quieter DACs. This does not mean that Yggy isn't quiet...probably designer chose it to have that kind of rendition. At the same time, also note that the quieter ones, at times did sound unnaturally clean. Yggy still carries some magic. Mine is coming back from A2 upgrade soon post which I will try to share some more impressions.

Squelching certain artifacts of audio reproduction does not mean we will be hearing something more musical. Though on one level, it may seem pleasant. Like a car that isolates us so much from the road we lose a sense of being in a car. Others prefer to have road feel to feel more alive when driving, having a better sense of control and being one with the car for the driver. But, having better road feel won't be as smooth (nor, boring).

Jason once mentioned how when he modded his own equipment that he got an over all better musical sound by ignoring certain aspects that other people may listen for. And in doing so, allowing for certain sounds of the real music to come though by not suppressing what manufacturers will suppress in order to create a nicer impression. No?

I refer to when he spoke about those who like to mod stuff, how he used to mod and allow for certain noises out of his equipment that he would ignore, because he knew he was actually getting more of the real sound of music by doing so. . Remember? Does anyone have a link to that post?

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #7,440 of 12,398
I have never felt the Yggy had what some have called a "grey" background.

But it sure picks up sounds I never heard before in recordings i'm familiar with.

That I'm very happy with .

Listen to something like Pavane Level 2,3 or Directstream then you’ll know it’s not pitch black

Users who are viewing this thread

Back