Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Feb 16, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #7,396 of 12,480
We Know now!!
From Schiit:
Hello,
Your Yggy is no longer covered under warranty . If you would like us to repair it there will be a repair fee starting at $250.00 plus shipping.
We do not provide schematics for our products.
Amy
I do not understand ...when Yggy works at your distributor's location, what will you repair then??? Something wrong with rest of your setup or it is NOT working at your distributor's location. So, please be careful on what you write.

Feb 16, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #7,397 of 12,480
We Know now!!
From Schiit:
Hello,
Your Yggy is no longer covered under warranty . If you would like us to repair it there will be a repair fee starting at $250.00 plus shipping.
We do not provide schematics for our products.
Amy

Hook your Yggy up to a laptop via a USB and see what happens! The rest of your system needs checking. Sell it if you can not resolve it. You should have tried that ages ago... instead you keep dragging this thing out.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #7,398 of 12,480
I do not understand ...when Yggy works at your distributor's location, what will you repair then??? Something wrong with rest of your setup or it is NOT working at your distributor's location. So, please be careful on what you write.

Posting the link to the first round of this discussion so we can hopefully get responses from the OP to help him diagnose what in his system is causing the issue. Based on the responses in the original conversation, the Yggdrasil does appear to function properly when it was sent to the local distributor for testing.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-yggdrasil-impressions-thread.766347/page-450#post-14000577

Feb 16, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #7,399 of 12,480
Amy... you work for Schiit?

If the man is living in Israel.... and bought his Ygg through their Dutch distributor? And, a qualified technician opened it up to see if anything was wrong (not to mod it).... You think Schiit would treat a customer that way, since the Dutch distributor can find nothing wrong with a unit that fails to play? And, if the Generation 5 board was allowed to be upgraded by a qualified technician outside of Schiit? Whats with the warranty-Nazi attitude?

Go back through the thread again. The Dutch distributor not only tested the Yggdrasil in question, they sent a video to the OP of it working.

Nothing unusual with Schiit refusing to honor a warranty once an unauthorized attempt at service has been made. The overwhelming majority of electronics vendors have the same policy. Something to keep in mind for those who want to mod their Yggdrasil, including changing fuses - go for it if you must, but posting about it will likely void your warranty.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #7,400 of 12,480
Having owned several PS Audio products I can tell you... PS Audio's better components all come with an audiophile fuse. Surprise! At one time they used to even sell their own brand of fuses. PS Audio does hear the difference.

If you can hear a difference with what you have tried, then you should be able to hear the difference with a good quality fuse. And! Try the fuse in both directions!

PS Audio even recommended the Hi Fi Supreme when I asked about a possible upgrade to what they supplied me with. The do hear it. And, so do I and others.

I no reason to not believe you, Paul McGowan, and others. I am open to the idea and may try it someday when I am ready to tweak more.

Feb 16, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #7,401 of 12,480
Go back through the thread again. The Dutch distributor not only tested the Yggdrasil in question, they sent a video to the OP of it working.

Nothing unusual with Schiit refusing to honor a warranty once an unauthorized attempt at service has been made. The overwhelming majority of electronics vendors have the same policy. Something to keep in mind for those who want to mod their Yggdrasil, including changing fuses - go for it if you must, but posting about it will likely void your warranty.
I edited my post after I realized that..... But you grabbed my first impression and that's what we now see.

Feb 16, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #7,402 of 12,480
I imagine most folks on this thread interested in the Yggdrasil or an owner of one has also been around live music for year. I surmise - for right or wrong - that you clearly have way to much time on your hands to play a musical instrument on a regular basis with any prowess.

You have been hearing live music from the audience I presume? I have been hearing live music where the mics are placed. There is a big difference in what is heard at that range.

That is why some folks can not figure out why they hear things the way they do. And, why some folks prefer digital over analog.... Because digital sounds more like a real live instrument in way analog can not.

Feb 16, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #7,403 of 12,480
This fuse discussion keeps re-emerging like a bad case of herpes! :ksc75smile: Seriously though, hasn't everything already been said on this topic? Those who missed the discussion (though how it could be missed I have no idea!) should flick back a few dozen pages (assuming the posts haven't since been deleted). I don't see how further discussion of this can add any more given it's already been covered.

Feb 16, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #7,404 of 12,480
Some truly ridiculous statements being made in this thread. Bottom line is if you put a cardboard cutout of a sugar plum fairy on your speakers and you think that makes them sound better, then more power to you. But please refrain from saying that if someone else disagrees with you that they are just not sophisticated enough to tell the difference. That kind of "sophistication" is delusional.

Feb 16, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #7,405 of 12,480
.... Because digital sounds more like a real live instrument in way analog can not.

Completely disagree on that one. I have heard lots of live acoustic music and to me analog sounds easily as good as digital in this regard. And usually better in my experience both at home and with several other systems. I went to RMAF 2017 and some of the best most life like sounding systems I heard were vinyl. Some good examples were the Vandersteen room, Martin Logan/Clear Audio room, VAC/Tannoy room, YG Acoustics, Von Schweikert, and others. I did hear two digital systems that were just about as good and they were the PS Audio room and Sanders Sound Systems.

Feb 16, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #7,406 of 12,480
...Bottom line is if you put a cardboard cutout of a sugar plum fairy on your speakers and you think that makes them sound better, then more power to you.

I tried that tweak, it caused all kinds of phase distortion. :scream_cat:

Feb 16, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #7,407 of 12,480
Some truly ridiculous statements being made in this thread. Bottom line is if you put a cardboard cutout of a sugar plum fairy on your speakers and you think that makes them sound better, then more power to you. But please refrain from saying that if someone else disagrees with you that they are just not sophisticated enough to tell the difference. That kind of "sophistication" is delusional.

Agreed. The fact that this is occurring in a Schiit thread, where on their own website, they avoid making certain claims is rather ironic.

Feb 16, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #7,409 of 12,480
Some folks reply so soon after another post that it's obvious their intentions are disingenuous. At a minimum, these folks simply cannot have taken any time what-so-ever to actually listen to music or play a musical instrument, let alone evaluate the Yggdrasil with any kind of credibility.

While for purposes of this post those folks shall remain nameless, I glean from others that everyone knows precisely who I'm speaking/writing of.

My sincere apologies to those wanting nothing more than Yggdrasil and thread targeted posts. Trust me, I'm with you, support you, and can relate to your dismay.

It's only because of certain folks that I do not participate further with objective facts as I do from time-to-time.

I wonder if those folks have any kind of real occupation. Fortunately, I do. In fact, I'm "successful" enough to be able to offer six figure monetary wagers for those interested parties that can blind test with predictable outcome fuse orientation. It would seem to me those who purportedly can should immediately take me up on my offer, so as to have a chance at improving their financial circumstance.

Feb 16, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #7,410 of 12,480
Some folks reply so soon after another post that it's obvious their intentions are disingenuous. At a minimum, these folks simply cannot have taken any time what-so-ever to actually listen to music or play a musical instrument, let alone evaluate the Yggdrasil with any kind of credibility.

While for purposes of this post those folks shall remain nameless, I glean from others that everyone knows precisely who I'm speaking/writing of.

My sincere apologies to those wanting nothing more than Yggdrasil and thread targeted posts. Trust me, I'm with you, support you, and can relate to your dismay.

It's only because of certain folks that I do not participate further with objective facts as I do from time-to-time.

I wonder if those folks have any kind of real occupation. Fortunately, I do. In fact, I'm "successful" enough to be able to offer six figure monetary wagers for those interested parties that can blind test with predictable outcome fuse orientation. It would seem to me those who purportedly can should immediately take me up on my offer, so as to have a chance at improving their financial circumstance.

I would if I could! One person claimed improvement from bypassing the fuse. I'm rather skeptical about that. I have heard tails of oxidation, and I suppose that that is theoretically possible, anyway since Parts Connexion is selling magic fuses for $13 I guess I am game enough to try that, but it's against my better judgement. After all, I completely dismissed magic power cords, which I am sure only act as chokes for certain frequencies, but bought an isolation transformer, which makes a choke look like nothing, and much to my surprise it did lower the noise floor a little. Anyway, I'd be shocked if someone could blindly pick up on fuse orientation. I have been wrong about a host of other things in audio like cables, capacitors, and AC filtering, so it's possible that I am wrong here too, but I'd just about have to see it to believe it... Color me highly skeptical.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back