Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Feb 20, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #7,441 of 12,398
When I first started listening with tubes I noticed the surface noise on records was more apparent. Were the tubes noisy? Or, transparent? Was the solid state actually masking and dulling what was to be heard? We need to be careful as to what's going on before we can evaluate correctly. Yes, less noise is better. But, it may be inherent noise that comes with the recording.

In a superficial evaluation geared solely on this aspect? Many might say the solid state was superior because they were hearing less surface noise.

Yet, at that time in audio history, the tubes were being more transparent. Thus allowing more of what was on the record to actually come through... That may be what some do not yet understand about the Yggdrasil and are making their evaluation on a single aspect as their criterion for what is better.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #7,442 of 12,398
Listen to something like Pavane Level 2,3 or Directstream then you’ll know it’s not pitch black

Or, being made to make it sound pitch black at the loss of something else?

Feb 20, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #7,444 of 12,398
Whatever......

No "what ever." Those designing these "blacker" sounding pieces may have wanted a marketing point to advance their higher prices with. They might have. After all, I have seen some of them offering their own devises for USB usage... as if their DAC's were not sufficient in themselves at those much higher prices. For some of the prices they ask such devices should have been already included as an integral part of the design.

When hearing more record surface noise using a tube preamp many would assume it is noisier... not more transparent. A clever marketing person might use that to push his solid state equipment over tubes. But, I say that about what I saw back then... Before solid state was as good as it is today. I have not made such a test as of late to see what the differences may be.

I have seen it in audio. We all have. Some company creates some talking point and makes an aspect into a marketing point to be seen as a positive. And, then other manufacturers will begin making such things, that in a good number of cases, end up being nearly meaningless. Look at all the speakers that began offering 'bi wiring.' Even cheap speakers began to do it. If its a selling point that the masses have learned to accept? Just market it. One can create an illusion of a blacker background by cutting back on what sound is allowed to pass through making it less transparent in a realm of what is to be heard. Some will prefer it. But, others will seek "road feel" and not want that cushy feel of luxury that puts them to sleep when driving.

Now? If the Yggy lets more music through? Inevitably, it will also be letting more inherent noise through as well. When its a part of the inherent nature of audio reproduction.

Now...Not saying its the case. But it seems that some here are only making "blacker" as their criterion for determining when something is better.

Feb 20, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #7,445 of 12,398
Measurements of a fully upgraded Yggrdasil from a trusted professional source (explosive nickname) make me even more excited about the coming full upgrade of my original one.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #7,446 of 12,398
Measurements of a fully upgraded Yggrdasil from a trusted professional source (explosive nickname) make me even more excited about the coming full upgrade of my original one.

Yes, especially when using the XLR outs.....

Feb 20, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #7,447 of 12,398
Feb 20, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #7,448 of 12,398
Has anyone tried Yggdrasil with Vali 2?

Currently running HD800's with Mimby/Vali 2 and am very pleased with the combo, but was debating upgrade paths. Debating the pro's/cons of Yggy + Vali 2 vs. Mjolnir 2 + Mimby.
It's part of my setup. Because my main headphones amp is a BHSE, but I've a good ol' Vali2 for my HD800 SD modded and my HD600. Did also buy a Magni 3. I prefer the latter for straightforward sound with more extension, Vali2 is a more relaxed way to listen to music. I've never been far with tube rolling, bought some cheap-a.rse russian tubes.

Depends on your personnal tastes,eventually and as always :)

Ali

Feb 20, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #7,449 of 12,398
Or, being made to make it sound pitch black at the loss of something else?

It's easy to make a DAC sound pitch black when it makes up all the bits out of thin air, or worse, the Maths. All you lose is musical and spatial information...

Feb 20, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #7,451 of 12,398
I have never felt the Yggy had what some have called a "grey" background.

But it sure picks up sounds I never heard before in recordings i'm familiar with.

That I'm very happy with .

I agree here.

The periodic posts about grayness seem odd to me and are certainly not universally reported. For those of you who hear grayness did you swap out the Yggy for a "better" DAC in the exact same system using the same HPs/speakers, let everything warm enough, and then felt that there was a grayness or haze? If you did not do this you would be comparing apples to oranges.

In my system the Yggy is remarkably clear and transparent. For those of you experiencing grayness in your playback you might consider working on your front end, especially grounding, and AC isolation. Those are the areas that allowed my Yggy to shine. I can say for sure that unless you work on grounding and AC isolation you will never know what your system can do.

I will report back once I get my new boards in. Perhaps I will be surprised...

Feb 20, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #7,452 of 12,398

Link please.

Feb 20, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #7,454 of 12,398

I'm pretty good with googling, including the use of advanced search criteria. I'm unable to find anything current (past month) in the way of an analog B review after 10 minutes. And that, is an eternity. Link please.

Link please.

+1

Feb 20, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #7,455 of 12,398
LMAO... let me run out and duct tape 2 phone booth handsets together, so it can't be traced as easily ;D
Thanks for posting the link. Some of us haven't been paying too much attention to the chain of events and preferred to tune it out. Looks like Yggy faired well.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back