Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Feb 20, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #7,456 of 12,335
For those of you who hear grayness did you swap out the Yggy for a "better" DAC in the exact same system using the same HPs/speakers, let everything warm enough, and then felt that there was a grayness or haze?

Yes

Feb 20, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #7,460 of 12,335
Listen to something like Pavane Level 2,3 or Directstream then you’ll know it’s not pitch black

Yggdrasil Series B. $2399.00

Pavane current price? $4999.99.

PS Audio Directstream? $5999.00

scratch.gif
Should anyone even have a right to complain?

Feb 20, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #7,461 of 12,335
Yggdrasil Series B. $2399.00

Pavane current price? $4999.99.

PS Audio Directstream? $5999.00

scratch.gif
Should anyone even have a right to complain?

No reason to complain. If you can't afford it or do not think it is worth the money then don't buy it. Lot's of cheap DACs out there with fancy specs and fine measurements.

Feb 20, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #7,462 of 12,335
No reason to complain. If you can't afford it or do not think it is worth the money then don't buy it. Lot's of cheap DACs out there with fancy specs and fine measurements.

That was not the point.

Point was... Making the Yggy look inferior because it can't equal DAC's costing twice as much.

To do so does not indicate any lack of integrity of product on the part of Schiit.

Feb 20, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #7,463 of 12,335
That was not the point.

Point was... Making the Yggy look inferior because it can't equal DAC's costing twice as much.

To do so does not indicate any lack of integrity of product on the part of Schiit.

Agree. I suppose the Directstream is a piece of junk compared to the $20k Berkeley Audio DAC or the $35k dCS Vivaldi. Then again Robert Harley has probably spent more time with the best DACs than most of us. And he said "I can’t tell you how Moffatt did it, but I can describe how the Yggy sounds, and why its one of the three best DACs I’ve heard regardless of price. (The other two are the $19,500 Berkeley Alpha Reference and the $35,000 dCS Vivaldi. ...".
And that was before the Analog 2 or Gen V upgrades.

There is much more to sound quality than whether or not a dac has the blackest background.

Going back to your comments earlier I do see what you mean on some recordings having their own noise floor. A quality system will reveal more of that noise floor in the recording just like they can pick up more ambient cues. With tube amps I have generally noticed an increase in noise floor over solid state. Tubes often have a higher noise floor than solid state and this is measurable. I have a SET tube amp that definitely has a higher noise floor even with no music playing. However it in many ways sounds better than several solid state amps I have listened to. I do not worry to much about the noise floor unless it detracts from the sound. And when a well recorded solo violin is playing with amazing detail, timbre, and presence my tube amp makes it easy to forget hearing some extra hiss when the volume is turned way up with no music. I have a solid state amp that is much quieter that makes the same violin sound artificial by comparison. The beauty and manifest presence stripped away.

Feb 20, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #7,464 of 12,335
Bottom line though which is generally accepted as fact despite the metaphor is that the Yggdrasil is "A DAC that can look any other DAC in the world in the face and not flinch".

Feb 20, 2018 at 8:58 PM Post #7,465 of 12,335
Agree. I suppose the Directstream is a piece of junk compared to the $20k Berkeley Audio DAC or the $35k dCS Vivaldi. Then again Robert Harley has probably spent more time with the best DACs than most of us. And he said "I can’t tell you how Moffatt did it, but I can describe how the Yggy sounds, and why its one of the three best DACs I’ve heard regardless of price. (The other two are the $19,500 Berkeley Alpha Reference and the $35,000 dCS Vivaldi. ...".
And that was before the Analog 2 or Gen V upgrades.

There comes a point where I believe real music can sound only so good. If these ultra expensive DACs are making the music sound better than the actual performance? Then they are doing tricks to alter the sound that they know will make them sound more pleasant to the listener. I have heard lots of live music. I sometimes shake my head wondering why the recorded music can sound better than the actual live performance... I have heard live performances where what I heard sounded actually boring. Irony afoot here, perhaps?

Feb 20, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #7,466 of 12,335
There comes a point where I believe real music can sound only so good. If these ultra expensive DACs are making the music sound better than the actual performance? Then they are doing tricks to alter the sound that they know will make them sound more pleasant to the listener. I have heard lots of live music. I sometimes shake my head wondering why the recorded music can sound better than the actual live performance... I have heard live performances where what I heard sounded actually boring. Irony afoot here, perhaps?

Ha! I have wondered the same thing before. I just think it is a point diminishing returns. In our journey we find out what works for us. So important just to enjoy the journey.

Feb 20, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #7,467 of 12,335
Bottom line though which is generally accepted as fact despite the metaphor is that the Yggdrasil is "A DAC that can look any other DAC in the world in the face and not flinch".

I have learned in my short 68 years of life that some people are simply into one-upmanship. They always must find some attribute that they can wave their banner about. Some people are just like that.

I can love how my car handles and drives.... But, someone so inclined will stick up their nose and tell me that their car can go from one to sixty .5 seconds quicker. And, thus claim their throne on the mountain.

Yet? I enjoy driving my car, and am not sure if they really do... since they make that an issue. How much is needed to be content?

Feb 20, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #7,468 of 12,335
One factor to consider is that recorded music is based upon the sound from a fixed, close to the ideal location for capturing the essence of the 'voices', which all contribute to the performance. We rarely (if ever) get that up close and personal to the actual source(s) of the acoustical energy.

JJ

Feb 20, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #7,469 of 12,335
One factor to consider is that recorded music is based upon the sound from a fixed, close to the ideal location for capturing the essence of the 'voices', which all contribute to the performance. We rarely (if ever) get that up close and personal to the actual source(s) of the acoustical energy.

JJ

I have had my drums recorded and know that what I hear up close sounds nothing like what it sounds like out in the crowd. Same for what comes out of the amplifiers when up close to the mics. Recording is an art in itself when done well. Its an integral part of the artistic process.

How do you know if your stereo system is too loud? When the music begins sounding like its being played through a PA system with the instruments being close mic'd.

Feb 20, 2018 at 10:23 PM Post #7,470 of 12,335
I had my Yggy back with A2 upgrade and my impression in one line would be - MORE EASE OF PERCEPTIBILITY.

Some additional points.

-More realism
-More resolution
-More 3D-ish
-More music in the room
-More engagement/unconscious involvement
-Will force you to revisit your collections
-Earlier, you were closer to stage and now you are on the stage with musicians.

For all these, IMO, major contributor is blacker background.

It may sound funny but I was listening to some 60-70 years old recordings and they too have resolution.

oh..the million dollar question, is upgrade worth??? YES, absolutely.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back