Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jan 16, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #6,496 of 12,314
On so many levels I'm offended by your comments.
You want to play with your fuses but you buy a DAC from a company that won't support you after you mess with your new toy.

Yes ... I used to work for a high end shop and also as a repairman for a TT company... and have confidence that I could open the case and change a fuse. Nothing else.

You complain that because you have less means, your opinion carries more weight than someone whom you assumes has more than you do.

No, that was not my complaint. My complaint was treating me like I can just change to another more expensive DAC if I do not like my situation.

By the way... Is it true? That your Krell Evolution 402 retails for $18,500?

I'm on social security and I work too! Who has more means? You have know way of knowing, nor I.

Don't know about you. But I have to continue to work. SS can not pay the bills unless you have a great retirement plan. Maybe that's the reason I feel the way I do.
Doing both allows for a few luxuries that I could not afford before.

Your opinion carries the weight you've earned, unfortunately you've spent a great deal of that capital on positions that are outrageous or demeaning.
I hope your new PS Audio DAC works better for you.

If I ever do get a PS Audio (the Jr.) It would have to be used. Not new. And, only after reselling the Yggy..

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2018 at 7:08 PM Post #6,497 of 12,314
Okay, so you heard from Jason. **BUT** did he state they would do the upgrade free??? Also, after entering your return info on their form, did you get an RMA and then receive another email that basically said "wait until further instructions and yet another RMA"???
I was not requesting an upgrade. I was requesting my Yggy be made to be as it should have been when ordered.

Jan 16, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #6,498 of 12,314
I heard this is where I can come and cry about the fact that rather than schiit releasing a brand new totl product with no chance to upgrade.

They just released an upgraded version and offer the upgrades.

What's sad is that people are upset that schiit released an upgrade. As opposed to what chord, earyoshino and all the other brands do and release a brand new model for an upgrade.
Chord Hugo Vs Hugo 2 is probably a small upgrade. Yet you have to buy an entirely new DAC.
Same for the ear 192 DAC Vs the ear 4. DAC sounds like an upgrade and what they did was fix the output stage. But you have to fork out another 4.8k sterling to upgrade. No upgrade path.

Hd800 to hd800s?
Hekv1 to hekv2?
Focal elear to clear to clear pro?
2004 renault Clio to 2006?
iPhone 7 to iPhone 8?

Get over yourselves and learn to control your emotions. Instead of flooding the people at schiit with nuisance messages for the sake of doing so or just having irrational arguments with people here because you are upset.

Buying technology and fashion or whatever before the new stuff comes out will happen to you throughout your life.
As long as competition exists totl stuff will always be replaced by something newer and better.

Just don't snap out at the company who decide to allow you to upgrade to the new model as opposed to let your product become a relic over time.
Because upgrades are better than nothing.

Jan 16, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #6,499 of 12,314
I was not requesting an upgrade. I was requesting my Yggy be made to be as it should have been when ordered.

Should have been? You mean the Yggy you ordered and then received didnt match exactly what was on the website and what you intended to order? You probably should have sent it back way sooner than months later if that were the case...

There seems to a lot of bemoaning going on in this thread, almost all of it coming from you. Schiit didn't harm you or treat you poorly in any way dude, they did basically the best thing they possible could when it comes to releasing an upgrade, releasing it silently for a while and then announcing it so that all the people that just ordered dont get sad.

You are the exact kind of customer that they should probably just fire, not worth the effort.

And Schiiiiiiit, I ordered a Yggy last night, thinking I was gonna wait 3-5 days for it to ship, and then woke up this morning to find out I was gonna be getting a sweet new and drastically better output stage and that it shipped this morning.

Now if that aint some good Schiit and incredible customer support I dunno what is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #6,501 of 12,314
No, Schiit isn't saying it doesn't sound as good as it could - it sounded the best it could when you purchased it. Now they have improvements. Just like most any other company except in this case, you don't have to replace the whole unit, you can have it upgraded for about 20% of a new unit.

Honestly, you should sell it and move on to another manufacturer. You don't like their policy regarding user serviceable parts, their support responsiveness, or their upgrade policy. If I felt that way about a product and company, I would move on....
To what?

Jan 16, 2018 at 7:37 PM Post #6,503 of 12,314
Should have been? You mean the Yggy you ordered and then received didnt match exactly what was on the website and what you intended to order? You probably should have sent it back way sooner than months later if that were the case...

Its not that it did not match what I ordered. What I ordered should have been the B version.. They sent me the A. I guess you missed that.

Jan 16, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #6,504 of 12,314
Its not that it did not match what I ordered. What I ordered should have been the B version.. They sent me the A. I guess you missed that.
No,
What did you purchase on the page?

If the page didn't say anything, then you were sold what you bought.
Schiit didn't go and say screw this one guy when picking up your DAC. They wouldn't have produced both lines simultaneously, instead they would have completed one batch and then move onto the new stuff.
You just maybe ordered that one day too early.

Jan 16, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #6,505 of 12,314
Ear yoshino, esoteric, some vintage sonic frontiers, bricasti, holo springs, crane song, rme, soekris, audio note, lampizator.
A lot of competitors out there.
Schiit aren't isolated and moffat isn't some DAC god.

Could you please give me the prices of those DACs? In US dollars? I live in the USA... I am not even sure some of those are available on this side of the pond.

Jan 16, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #6,506 of 12,314
I got one of the first Yggy's that came off the line, I've been waiting years for an upgrade! Got my RA number and sent it in today for the analog upgrade. I'll report back when I have it up and running again in my system.

Jan 16, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #6,507 of 12,314
Note 1: So to sum it up for some of you who don't work in manufacturing.....What likely happened is they had old stock,and new stock analog boards. They continued building form old stock until it was used up and then switched to new stock. There is no set date. NO Set time. At some point they ran out of the old parts and started using the new. Then they had to wait for enough new stock to fill upgrade orders in order to do formal announcement as to not create a backlog. Supply chain 101 for anyone anywhere in business.

Note 2: for those of you who have been flaming email at them all day and mad about response? I got one within 5 minutes this am of me shooting them an emai to simply verify the version I had. no demands etc. To which I quicky responded they should ignore me because im an idiot and read the rest of post and just checked my own serial number. Bam, I hope they went back about their day instead of wasting time helping with my illiteracy.

Note 3: This is an impressions thread. Users are and should post their experiences about swapping fuses, power cord, amps etc with this dac. But this is not a place to sit, argue and bicker. For any change that anyone feels is warrant noting, feel free to express said opinion. But that opinion is on the sound. the product. Not on the service, not on the legality of warrantys and voiding there of. There are legal websites for this.

If you do not enjoy this product, say so in a concise technical and audio related manner. And move on. If you do again please tell us about it and your system. Those of you egging others on in any way or form are contributing to the delinquency of this thread and taking away from the product some of us come here to learn about. So if everyone could reset this thread into a IMPRESSIONS oriented thread again, that would be great.

Here let me start!

I came from a Marantz HDDAC1 that was an all in one. It was good but I love the much lower noise floor on the new system starting with the yggy. For those that use the saga or Freya to add a remote into the mix I was using a bottlehead mainline before as my amp and found that I could max out at a higher volume now without audible noise. Definitely got more headroom from the lower noise floor. I've enjoyed the smooth sound over the HDDAC1 which in comparison was fairly bright to my ears. I have been able to listen for much longer than before without discomfort at similar volume levels because of the smoothness of the sound. I have loved the tone of the electric guitars and the space around each instrument. If you need a good test track I highly recommend "The saints go marching in - Wycliff Gordon" very excellent recording with instrument placement that will make you want to look over your shoulder.

Jan 16, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #6,508 of 12,314
No,
What did you purchase on the page?

What they say should have been the B version.

If the page didn't say anything, then you were sold what you bought.
Schiit didn't go and say screw this one guy when picking up your DAC. They wouldn't have produced both lines simultaneously, instead they would have completed one batch and then move onto the new stuff.
You just maybe ordered that one day too early.

Someone made a mistake. It happens. I make them too. So do you. What do you do when you make a mistake? You correct it. When I asked for a correction, someone made a mistake about that. Now, after making another attempt to clarify that mistake... they are now correcting it.

Last time I checked, we are all human being here. We have a tendency to err at times.

Jan 16, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #6,510 of 12,314
What they say should have been the B version.

Someone made a mistake. It happens. I make them too. So do you. What do you do when you make a mistake? You correct it. When I asked for a correction, someone made a mistake about that. Now, after making another attempt to clarify that mistake... they are now correcting it.

Last time I checked, we are all human being here. We have a tendency to err at times.

Who made a mistake??
Last time I checked everything schiit said was correct

Users who are viewing this thread

Back