Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jan 16, 2018 at 7:52 PM Post #6,512 of 12,310
Who made a mistake??
Last time I checked everything schiit said was correct

If that were the case? Schiit would not be offering me to return it to be corrected. Would they?

Schiit is correcting a mistake. Every company makes one on occasion.

My attitude has shifted. When I first inquired about what went wrong, I was mistakenly told that my Yggy was not supposed to be B... when in fact, it was.

Jan 16, 2018 at 7:53 PM Post #6,513 of 12,310
Could you please give me the prices of those DACs? In US dollars? I live in the USA... I am not even sure some of those are available on this side of the pond.

Just use google. You will experience sticker shock. Or try the musicdirect website for Esoteric. Finding lots of other options is pretty easy with a little effort. What is hard is finding something as good for the price. But perhaps some will have non upgradable dacs (likely), have a customer service you can tolerate, and have easy fuse access.

Jan 16, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #6,514 of 12,310
So, 5genez, ...... When you send back your A serialized YGGY, will you be sending a new audiophile fuse too...?.....:smile_phones:
If so, you'd better include instructions on how to insert the fuse in the right way........:ksc75smile:
The last thing this thread needs is ten pages of you bitching about how Schiit installed your audiophie fuse in the wrong way and won't accept it back for the proper fuse adjustment........:ksc75smile:

Just sayin'...........:L3000:

Jan 16, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #6,515 of 12,310
You know what your requirements better than I ever could, Do your research and make sure what you choose fits your specific needs - there’s certainly enough information on this site to get started.

The fact remains. The Yggy is perfect for my needs. Price wise. And, feature wise.

Schiit is now contacted me and is going to correct what went wrong. My problem and initial reason for reacting, was being wrongly told that my unit should not have been shipped out with the B version. When in fact, my purchase took place weeks after the switch had taken place.

I think I know the reason why it happened. My Yggy was ordered. While waiting, I emailed them and asked about black cases. They explained to me that they only get those on occasion. I did not expect one. After that? Much to my pleasure.... I find them shipping me a black Yggy! Well what do you know! They want to have good customer service. I was not expecting a black Yggy. They just sent it... and my order was silver.

Looks like they may have had the black unit sitting on a shelf awaiting to be updated... but in the hurry to switch orders to please a customer. someone inadvertently grabbed the black A version and sent it out without realizing.

Jan 16, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #6,516 of 12,310
So, 5genez, ...... When you send back your A serialized YGGY, will you be sending a new audiophile fuse too...?.....:smile_phones:
If so, you'd better include instructions on how to insert the fuse in the right way........:ksc75smile:
The last thing this thread needs is ten pages of you bitching about how Schiit installed your audiophie fuse in the wrong way and won't accept it back for the proper fuse adjustment........:ksc75smile:

Just sayin'...........:L3000:

You do not realize that subject is supposed to be dropped in this thread? So, why are you bringing it up?

Jan 16, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #6,517 of 12,310
Just use google. You will experience sticker shock.

I know. That is why I wanted him to post the prices for his most practical suggestion. It would also make the Yggy look even much better if he did.

Jan 16, 2018 at 8:08 PM Post #6,518 of 12,310
Nope, didn't know that.

I was not referring to the relative merits of the substitution.
I was just asking if you had thought of that avenue to get the substitution made by the factory, and thereby keeping your warranty.
Call it an optional suggestion for your benefit, as well as the other readers of this thread.

Jan 16, 2018 at 8:15 PM Post #6,519 of 12,310
If that were the case? Schiit would not be offering me to return it to be corrected. Would they?

My attitude has shifted. When I first inquired about what went wrong, I was mistakenly told that my Yggy was not supposed to be B... when in fact, it was.

I hate to burst your bubble but schiit didn't owe you anything. That upgrade wasn't official until today. For all they care, they could've implemented that upgrade two weeks ago. Instead you bought it in October when they were beginning to internally switch. When you bought it, as far as you knew, you were gonna receive a version A product, as anyone else who has bought Yggdrasil up until today.

The fact that Jason is going out of his way to give you a version B product is a very nice thing for him to do because frankly he doesn't have to. It's not like he can go around telling customers when the next upgrade is coming out, because that would kill sales. It's basic business not to announce what's next. Ask Apple. The fact that they've been silently shipping B versions so that some people don't feel screwed is nice of them. They could've stuck to their policy and just said, "well officially B versions have started shipping today and you bought before that date so no, we won't honor a free upgrade."

Complainer of the day: YOU

Jan 16, 2018 at 8:19 PM Post #6,520 of 12,310

They offered it as a gesture of goodwill.
Like they did with the upgrades.

Jan 16, 2018 at 8:21 PM Post #6,521 of 12,310
You know what your requirements better than I ever could, Do your research and make sure what you choose fits your specific needs - there’s certainly enough information on this site to get started.

You don't understand. I really like the concept and design about the Yggy. I think there is an element of genius at work there. I am not going to chuck away something that I will regret later. We can find reason to bitch about something and still love it.

Some here see a manufacturer asking a higher price and using a different concept to automatically correlate to mean superior sound. I do not.

Having sold audio, I am well aware that the most expensive does not have to mean the best sounding. Some things are deliberately charged a higher price because some with deep pockets think money can buy happiness. Products are designed for that target audience...

Those who can sense what sounds right do not have to look farther. Better yet... those who know what is needed to make what they already have to sound its best, do not have to keep spending more and more money, and always changing in their quest. They just never realize that things can be done to optimize what they have.

As far as I am concerned? The Yggy is the most expensive DAC I ever purchased. But, I also understood that it was designed to be worth it. Not to hype the price and features to make someone feel he has something superior to others. Some live for that. And, its why they spend so much money. And, why certain manufacturers know this, and cater to that mind set.

I am not saying that the more expensive equipment will always be geared towards the "money will buy happiness" crowd. But its more common than we realize.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2018 at 8:30 PM Post #6,522 of 12,310
I hate to burst your bubble but schiit didn't owe you anything. That upgrade wasn't official until today.

Please... read what Schiit said.

New-production Yggdrasils have been shipping with Analog 2 boards since October 2017,
so recent purchasers have already been enjoying Analog 2 for some time. Yggdrasils
with Analog 2 boards are designated with a serial number prefix of “B,” rather than “A.”
http://www.schiit.com/about/news/yggdrasil-refined

Why should I argue with you? Mine was first ordered Oct 31st. Last day in October. I should have received the B version, but did not. A mistake was made.

Jan 16, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #6,524 of 12,310
Schiit has agreed to upgrade my Yggy free of charge. My out-of-pocket is one way to them. My order was shipped October 2017, and I have an "A" serial number. Thank you Jason, Mike and the rest of the Schiit team.

Jan 16, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #6,525 of 12,310
..........As usual, I'm going to be brief, and also because since I've been able to live with it for a while so the newness has worn off.
  1. Much blacker background, on the level of the the JFET active stage of the Freya. Not quite as inky as the Holo Spring DAC 3, but close enough. With this, increased articulation and bass textures. I think those people who felt the Yggy had a bit of haze or grey background would be extremely happy. The balanced outs do better than SE outs. I actually prefer the SE coupled with decent balanced to SE transformers (Cinemag) than the SE out - sounds cleaner and clearer.
  2. Don't expect a Metrum sound. The Yggy still has its bold incisiveness, so those wanting a more relaxed and easygoing sound should go elsewhere. This isn't a $1000 Rega table type of sound.
  3. However, there are denser tone colors, timbre, body, along with more fluidity and smoothness. Sort of how some R2R DACS like Master 7 or SFD2 have it. Not quite to the exaggerated extent of those DACs, but say two-thirds there.
  4. Even more microdetail and better sense of microdynamics.
  5. More localized depth around instruments, less cutout like, a la NOS. Not quite to that extent, but say 50% there.
  6. Slightly larger soundstage, but with stronger center soundstage and imaging precision.
  7. Maybe the best part: a hint of sweetness. The Holo Spring 3 has a similar kind of sweetness in the upper registers. The Yggy Analog 2 has sweetness in the mids.
That is all.

P.S. It's my understanding that it wasn't just the output stage...........

Larry, thank you very much for your candid impressions of what the "B" version has to offer. That said, can I get a yes or no answer please as to whether or not you feel/think that all things considered, the "B" version is in fact an improvement (in comparison to the "A" version), from a sound quality perspective? Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back